MARS April Launch

Based in the greater Melbourne region, MARS is the home of amateur rocketry in Victoria. (Not to be confused with the planet, we are much closer than the planet and operate less rovers)

Moderator: Moderators

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

MARS April Launch

Postby martymonsta » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:37 am

The Melbourne Amateur Rocketry Society Inc. cordially extends an invitation to MARS & AMRS members and their invited guests to attend the range located at Drouin South, on Saturday the 15th of April for our monthly club launch.

All flyers are required to pay a $10 flyers fee (cash only) at sign in.

An NOTAM will be posted with Air Services Australia and the CASA instrument permits launches of HPR up to a maximum ceiling of 8,000ft AMSL (7600ft AGL).

The range will open for operation at 8:00 am and will continue through to 1:00 pm. Any assistance with range setup is appreciated.

For further information please send emails to mars@rocket.org.au or check out the website http://www.rocket.org.au/

UNFAVOURABLE WEATHER

If adverse weather or other conditions on the day of the launch effect the launch program, the launch will be rescheduled. If on the day of the launch, you are uncertain the launch will proceed, check this post for updates.

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: MARS April Launch

Postby lorstin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:34 am

martymonsta wrote:The Melbourne Amateur Rocketry Society Inc. cordially extends an invitation to MARS & AMRS members and their invited guests to attend the range located at Drouin South, on Saturday the 15th of April for our monthly club launch......

However on the MARS website it says
..........The general public is welcome to attend all launches......
:?
TRA #17032
TRAAU

noli illegitimi carborundum

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:39 am

lorstin wrote:
martymonsta wrote:The Melbourne Amateur Rocketry Society Inc. cordially extends an invitation to MARS & AMRS members and their invited guests to attend the range located at Drouin South, on Saturday the 15th of April for our monthly club launch......

However on the MARS website it says
..........The general public is welcome to attend all launches......
:?

If you are reading the invitation, you have been invited. :D
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Woo-hoo! After what seems like forever, we are actually flying this Saturday!! Dust off those rockets guys and gals; the weather looks like it is going to be beautiful!!! :-) I'm aiming to get my first bird away at 8.01am... Cheers, Karl

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:18 am

:Launch Report:

Over the last few months, a brand new Wilson F/X launch has made its way into the MARS launch trailer. MARS would like to thank Australian Rocketry for all the effort that went into organising the purchasing, importing, assembling the launch controller and ensuring that it met the relevant Australian requirements. So on Friday evening Karl and I ran through the operation of the unit to guarantee a hassle free set up the following morning. Pad Box B also included something special.

Dawn on Saturday morning revealed still conditions and a pesky layer of cloud at 3-4000ft. The Aero Group had been busy conducting infrastructure works at the site including a large clean up of the field and the construction of a toilet block, which I believe makes MARS the only Rocketry club to have a flushing toilet at a high power launch site in Australia. After a quick set up, the completely wireless and self-contained pad boxes make setup a treat, flying was ready to commence. Karl was keen to fly and quickly readied his LPR phantom with a C motor to kick things off. Likewise, everyone else got an LPR or MPR flight in the air early as we hoped the cloud would dissipate as forecast.

With the cloud not breaking up, everyone's focus turned to getting the best flights they could in the air and remaining under the cloud. Trevor Boyd led the way, flying his very nicely turned out 65mm DX3 on a CTI 212 SS.

Some members of the Aero Group who had come to watch brought several of their models and there were several resulting conversations about rocket-powered planes, such as the ME-263, the X-1 and the X-15.

Sascha and I decided to have an LPR drag race, and as everyone knows, everyone in a winner in a drag race.

As the morning drew to a close there was a run of I impulses flights, Trevor flew his Madcow Pheonix on an I 161 White Lightning which spectacularly roared off the pad, and Nat's 1/4 Scale Patriot flew a textbook flight on an I 175 white.

I had my ARCUS prepared to fly on a CTI I 236 Blue and at 11:59:59 Karl pushed "Launch" on what ended up being the final flight of the day.

Thank you to everyone for their assistance in helping to pack up the range, it was a great day of flying rockets that despite the relatively small turnout, due possibly to the long weekend, there was a total of 19 flights between A and I Impulse, and with the great facilities that MARS now has access to I look forward to the inevitable growth of the club and the hobby in the Greater Melbourne region. See you in May.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:29 am

I wish I could have been there! Almost everything I fly would have stayed under that ceiling, and it was perfect timing in all respects except for my recent surgery. :cry:

Next month!!
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):
2017: 86 (54% G)
2016: 2006 (78% K)
2015: 2809 (55% L)
2014: 1565 (61% K)

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:27 am

Cool new kit and cool photo's. And a working toilet?! Luxury!
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L1

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 am

Raaahbin wrote:I wish I could have been there! Almost everything I fly would have stayed under that ceiling, and it was perfect timing in all respects except for my recent surgery. :cry:

Next month!!

We missed you yesterday Robin.I hope you are feeling better soon and see you next month!

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:35 am

Great photos, looked like a fun day out. Having access to a toilet is definitely a big bonus. :D
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Looks like another great launch, and I love the look of the new Wilson FX launch controllers / pads, good to see...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS L3
AMRS Technical Advisory Group - CO

Impulse:
2017: 00,000 Ns (00.00% A)
Ns 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Looks like a good days launching.

Toilets are a big bonus.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Looks like everyone had a great day!

Sorry I couldn't make it guys. Rocketry is dead in the water for me currently, and my car is in pieces. :(

Hopefully it will be back on-line in a couple of weeks (after returning from a work trip). I might even make it to the May Tripoli launch if I am lucky. Fingers crossed.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 am

Looks like it was a great launch, pity I missed it. I have had so little free time over the last few months it has been hard to do anything other than work but that should change in a few weeks...next time!
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Great photos and looks like a cool launch all the way. 8)

Working toilets .....you guys are getting soft or what.... :lol: Brilliant really.

Yes, that Wilson controller is awesome and looks so cool.... :P

Lamp...Peter...I have been thinking of you number of times as I haven't heard anything from you.....great that you are around....work kills all the fun hey.... :?
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.”