Aerotech Afterburner

Discussions of motors from single-use and RMS solid propellants to hybrid propellants

Moderator: Moderators

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Aerotech Afterburner

Postby lorstin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:38 am

The CRG HPR March launch at Ardlethan was lucky to have a highspeed camera present on day 2 ( special thanks to Harald K. ) It was used to record all 8 launches that took place, speeds ranging from 2000fps to 7000fps (if I remember correctly). Of the 8 launches only 2 were Aerotech, it was interesting to note that only the Aerotech motors displayed what appears to be "afterburn". The motor in this video is a G64-10W
(Fast forward to about 3min for the afterburn)

TRA #17032
TRAAU

noli illegitimi carborundum

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Aerotech Afterburner

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:00 pm

That's amazing footage. Looks like some unburnt fuel makes it through the nozzle into the exhaust plume. Maybe it is that the particles are hot enough by then for better ignition/burning.

Probably makes for a great sounding launch :)
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Awesome footage!

In my (admittedly limited) experince it's only the smaller White Lightning motors that do this. I've noticed the same in my vids (only 240fps) of the F24, F35 and G64.

OTT, I've been fooled a couple of times by the G64, thinking a sparky has gone up, similar sound to my ears.

Edit: I've also noticed that the smaller WL's have more of a black coloured smoke than white... incomplete combustion perhaps? Not enough oxidiser?
Then when the smoke mixes with air, more oxygen available and the carbon in the smoke ignites? Pure speculation ofcourse.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L1

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:11 pm

My thought was that the motor was chuffing. IE the pressure in the motor is oscillating. I'm sure you've seen one on the pad that seem confused if about lighting. Interesting to see it happening even as it lifts off, I suspect that would only be occurring in the smaller motors. It may also be more typical of low pressure designs as well. The CTI will be a lot less prone to this due to their unique starter slug that ensures it lights fully and gets up to pressure straight away.

Great footage BTW.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 pm

The other motor that displayed the "afterburn" that day was an Aerotech H123 or thereabouts.

An interesting point Viking made
I've also noticed that the smaller WL's have more of a black coloured smoke than white...

a G64 I flew last year had very dark smoke for the first half of the burn and then changed to white for the second half - almost like the grains had got mixed up during packaging.
TRA #17032
TRAAU

noli illegitimi carborundum

Wozos
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Wozos » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 pm

Yes, the second motor was an Aerotech H123. It was doing similar, except it started with a "shower" of still burning propellant shortly after the igniter came out of the motor.

Return to “Propulsion”