Show us your rocket room / shed / workshop

Strictly rocketry/space related discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: Show us your rocket room / shed / workshop

Postby drew » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Digit wrote:With a view to ending up wanting to scratchbuild professional, record breaking rockets like many of my role models on here, could I please get some opinions on what machinery is 'necessary', and what is 'nice to have'? And what would be the ideal order to procure them in over say between now and Thunda 2.0

To be honest Digit I don't believe you need much in the way of machinery to build scratchbuilt Mach 2+ capable rockets. Rolling your own CF or FG airframes doesn't require any machinery. Maybe a curing oven if you're using epoxy that will benefit from a high temp post cure? Making fin stock is pretty much as simple as stacking layups on glass with Glad Bake on the top and bottom and then putting another piece of glass on top to keep it flat. Granted some here will tell you to not do that (ie "sandwiching" the layup with glass) but I've had good results with that technique.

Nose Cones.... Well, those are a little different. If you're looking to custom fabricate 6:1 or 7:1 FG VK nose cones I suspect Nic will be the one to speak to. That said the Performance Rocketry VK NCs that Blake carries are pretty damn good for the money.

http://ausrocketry.com.au/nosecones/fibreglass-carbon-fibre-nosecones.html

Finally I've been pretty pleased with AeroPack's minimum diameter motor retainers. Granted they're probably a little longer than necessary but they're great for "off the shelf" minimum diameter motor retention.

https://aeropack.net/webstore/products.asp?groupid=10

I've scratch built rockets that have traveled in the Mach 1.7-2.2 range with the above techniques and hardware. To be honest about the only machinery I'd like to sort is a router for beveling fins (I've got one btw, just haven't built the fin beveling jig) and one of those nifty laser wood cutting thingamabobs so I could make better sleds for nose cones to hold all the various electronics I fly for these types of flights.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:10 pm

drew wrote:
Digit wrote:With a view to ending up wanting to scratchbuild professional, record breaking rockets like many of my role models on here, could I please get some opinions on what machinery is 'necessary', and what is 'nice to have'? And what would be the ideal order to procure them in over say between now and Thunda 2.0

To be honest Digit I don't believe you need much in the way of machinery to build scratchbuilt Mach 2+ capable rockets.

I agree with Drew. If you go and have a look at the build threads for Mach 2+ record setting rockets, (ie, No Big Deal and Mad Max 2) Nic is using a Hot Wire (possibly home made) over a wooden profile box, to shape some expanded polystyrene into a nosecone pattern and then wrapping it in fiberglass. Nic also has a vac bag set up that involves a fish tank pump in a bit of PVC pipe.

As Drew alluded to a laser cutter would be nice, but when it really come down to it you could do a similar job with a coping saw and some sand paper. Sure having a workshop full of tools is cool and will at times make the job a little easier, but determination and ingenuity is what is really required.

That said, having a small air compressor for painting is handy and a bench drill makes drilling accurate holes easier then using a handheld cordless.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:29 pm

I recently inherited a drill press from my grandfather; nothing super flash, but a good size for beginners like myself; so I decided to clean up a small area under the house that was just a 'crap corner' and build a bit of a work bench to mount the press to.

I also re-purposed a few old storage tubs and mounting plates from the bins at work, and being a qualified sparky, got a bit of power and lighting happening.

I got a cheapo drop saw and stand on special as a scratch and dent sale from Bunnings (to build the bench with, but now I have one for other tasks) and also picked up an under bench vise while I was there and mounted it into the bench.

I also have my Dremel that I previously invested in able to be hung from the ceiling to use the umbilical drive as required.

A bit of foam mat flooring and Viola. It may not be the sterile white workshop full of Hare and Forbes goodness that I desire, but it's a start :)

No more building rockets on the kitchen floor for me!

QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 am

Looks great... Can't wait to see what creations are going to come out of there...
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:22 am

You will wonder how you ever did without it!
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm

That is awesome Lachlan.....really mate...you will go a long way in what you got there....invest on belt sander....it saves you so much time....that said....right up to my OZ THUNDA ( 3.9 meters tall ) I was working from 3m x 2.4 m wooden garden shed.... :shock: :P
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm

I upgraded my work bench last weekend.

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:59 pm

Love the stargate!
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:16 am

Who needs rockets when you have a Stargate.

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:29 am

Digit wrote:Love the stargate!

+1
:lol:
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

RainierWolfcastle
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby RainierWolfcastle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:25 am

Work in progress, and not a great photo, but a bit more cleaning up will leave room for about 3m long of workbench space. Have lathes and mills at work so I'll be happy with a router table and maybe some jigs for glassing. Image

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
- Ben

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Gotta be happy with that!
Nice high ceiling, what is that, 10ft/3m?
Heaps of storage area.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L1

RainierWolfcastle
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby RainierWolfcastle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:06 pm

3800mm under the beams, or about 12'6 in ye olde units ;) I'm looking forward to working my way up to some builds to take advantage of it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
- Ben

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Return to “Rocketry Control Room”