Attachments
File0265.jpg
File0265.jpg (9.25 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Sounding Rockets

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Looks like they changed from a rail to tower (lugless) launch. Guess they refined it for additional performance.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Looks like they changed from a rail to tower (lugless) launch. Guess they refined it for additional performance.

Makes up for the non-angled leading edges :)
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:12 pm

OverTheTop wrote:

Makes up for the non-angled leading edges :)

Interesting design choice. So which actually came first?

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Easier to fabricate maybe? Not aiming for maximum altitude (not a performance requirement)? More lift at low speeds? Needed more stability and had limited chord length and diameter?

Only the first option makes any sense to me. Maybe it was just an insignificant choice at the time.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Oldboy
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Oldboy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Cheers Barinv ,cool stuff from when Australia had a go.
Gives a couple of ideas going forward
WARS 005 AMRS 98
"I GOT IT"

Barinv
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Barinv » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:59 pm

more from the past
Rockets_0237.jpg
Rockets_0260.jpg
Rockets_0269v.jpg

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Ok so with people in the picture you can get an idea of the size. The first picture is clearly a much smaller rocket launched with a lug less design. The others are clearly a larger rocket with the angled fins and launched from a rail. The last photograph is something else entirely, seems like half way in between perhaps. Not sure if this represents a developmental process for a single rocket or just a series of sounding rockets that were used with perhaps some common ancestry.

Barinv
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Barinv » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Designed for different altitudes

blackshire
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby blackshire » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Thank you for posting those pictures, Barinv! Another vehicle variation that I noticed is that the HAD (High Altitude Density) round (it's the sounding rocket in the bottom photograph, with a technician next to its LAPSTAR second stage) has its fins affixed directly to the Gosling first stage motor's nozzle, while the HAD round (or rounds) that is/are depicted in Peter Morton's "Fire Across the Desert" and in Peter Alway's "Rockets of the World" has/have a regular cylindrical "tail can" surrounding the first stage nozzle, to which the three fins are affixed. The tail can looked like the one on the Aero-High rocket's Gosling first stage (it's in the picture directly above the HAD photograph). Also:

By all means, everyone, please keep posting any old pictures and drawings that you may find! Australian sounding rockets are among the least-documented vehicles, and variations among their various types are even lesser-known. Even when one round of a given sounding rocket type is documented for scale modeling, it's always desirable to have a second round of the same type documented, too, and the HAD that's pictured above is not only a bit physically different from the HAD round that Peter Alway documented in "Rockets of the World," but its decor scheme is also different (it's simpler, yet striking, which would provide more variety at scale contest events, and it would also be easier for younger or beginning scale space modelers to depict on their HAD scale models).

-- Jason

blackshire
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby blackshire » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Also, Barinv (and everyone here), the HAD round that's in the photograph above was one of the several rounds that were launched near Carnarvon, Western Australia in 1964 - 1965 (one of them came straight down...*that* story is simultaneously terrifying and hysterical! :-) ). I have included links to this information--and to scale data on these Carnarvon HAD rounds--below:

I just found scale data (in the form of multiple photographs--one of them is the same shot that Barinv posted above) and historical information on the HAD (High Altitude Density) Australian sounding rocket rounds that were launched near Carnarvon (at a site called Quobba, see: http://www.carnarvonspace.com/wiki/inde ... xperiments ), and I have compiled and posted all of this material *here* (see: http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthrea ... post216779 ). These HAD rounds had a different first stage fin attachment arrangement (the fins were affixed directly to the first stage nozzle, instead of to a cylindrical “tail can,” as is the case with most sounding rockets), and:

These Carnarvon HAD rounds had a simpler—yet striking in appearance—paint scheme than the HAD round that Peter Alway documented in “Rockets of the World” (the CarnarvonSpace website has a page that includes a “click-to-expand” scan of Peter’s HAD drawing [see: http://www.carnarvonspace.com/wiki/inde ... HAD_rocket ], and they give acknowledgement to him and the book). This Carnarvon HAD round paint scheme would be a good one that younger or—at *any* age—beginning space modelers could use, because it’s easier to reproduce, yet it isn’t bland-looking at all.

I hope this material will be helpful.

-- Jason

peteralway
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby peteralway » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:57 am

Nice photos! Is there any way I could get permission to use them (especially that nice Aero High shot) in a future edition of Rockets of the world. I noticed elsewhere you posted a shot of the Sparta/Wresat that shows that the nifty kangaroo logo is on both sides of the Redstone stage--a useful tidbit for modeling.

By the way, I don't get here often (maybe once every 5 years) so if you could reply to petealway (at symbol) aol (dot) com, I'd appreciate it.

In any case, thank you for posting those historical treasures--scans of 35 mm slides, I presume.

Peter Alway

Return to “Rocketry Control Room”