More Star Wars Madness

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

Which Star Wars Ship should we make?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:15 pm

X Wing - T70
50%
Tantive IV
50%
Radiant VII
No votes
Other - details please
No votes

Total votes: 2

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

More Star Wars Madness

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Since Star Wars rockets are proving so popular I thought I would do a bigger / better / different scratch build. This time however I'm looking for some more participation from forum members. First up I'm looking for feedback on what to build, with the help of my son we came up with three possibilities.

1. T70 X-Wing. This varies from the original X Wing in the engine design and outer wings. I would want to build this to be able to be flown with either a 29mm or 38mm motor (haven't decided which). I would also want to make the droid have an in built camera with a swivel head so that multiple camera angles could be obtained. It would probably also fly with a raven. Construction would be similar to the smaller X Wing I built.
image.jpg
X Wing - T70
image.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 59 times

2. Tantive IV. I particularly would like to see this fly for its 11 engines. This would be 18mm motors. I've no idea about making this fly straight so if you vote for it you will need to come up with some ideas.
image.jpg
Tantive IV
image.jpg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 59 times

image.jpg
Tantive IV - Engines
image.jpg (21.87 KiB) Viewed 59 times

3. Radiant VII. This option should be reasonably straight forward to modify for stability. I would add and additional motor attached to a horizontal stabliser, perhaps we could call it the Radiant VIII? This would be all 18mm motors although perhaps the central motor could be 29mm.
image.jpg
Radiant VII
image.jpg (34.62 KiB) Viewed 59 times

I've given an other option in the poll if anyone would like come up with an alternative model. Please vote and comment about your choice (or choices), plus any mods / design features you think should be included.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: More Star Wars Madness

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:58 pm

Option 2. If you are into, or want to, clusters. Looks like it will be stable as is, assuming you follow the normal CP/CG rules.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 am

OverTheTop wrote:Option 2. If you are into, or want to, clusters. Looks like it will be stable as is, assuming you follow the normal CP/CG rules.

How would put fins on it while keepin the same look? Other issue I see is all the weight will be a the back, especially once you load 11 motors.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:57 am

How would put fins on it while keepin the same look?

Back end looks pretty big and draggy.

Think about how it compares to things like saucer and pyramid odd-rocs. RS and OR are not likely to give believable results for simulations. If I were building it, I would build it as is, load motors, and do swing tests. Because it is not really axisymmetric you would need to swing it in a couple of different roll orientations. Add nose weight till it passes the swing test.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:08 pm

OverTheTop wrote:
How would put fins on it while keepin the same look?

Back end looks pretty big and draggy.

Think about how it compares to things like saucer and pyramid odd-rocs. RS and OR are not likely to give believable results for simulations. If I were building it, I would build it as is, load motors, and do swing tests. Because it is not really axisymmetric you would need to swing it in a couple of different roll orientations. Add nose weight till it passes the swing test.

Converting the frontal area of the rear section into the equivalent transition area will probably give me an idea of what it will do in OR, will also need to add base drag. However the transition is in front of the weight, which is not that helpful. Would need to add a lot of nose weight to bring the CG forward of the transition. Might play with a sim and see what it says as a starting point.

Return to “Scratch Built”