FUIC (a bit of fun and silliness)

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

FUIC (a bit of fun and silliness)

Postby Digit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Some weeks ago now I was enjoying a delicious Farmers Union Iced Coffee:

Now I'm not sure why I suddenly needed to know how high an empty iced coffee carton would fly if a rocket motor was strapped to it but I did, so this happened :lol: :

Now I'll be honest the finished product scared me a little, so I attempted to sim it as best I could, as if it were a round airframe. (Note the stability margin of negative 1.29 cal!):

I wasn't about to conventionalise my odroc by attaching fins to it, no, so instead i glued a clear plastic cup to the base to shift the center of pressure whilst not detracting from the 'bare milk carton' look. This brought the sim out of the negatives and up to 0.32 cal, being a very short and fat rocket with a square airframe and only flying on an A8 I found this to be 'satisfactory'.

Launch day, and after installing the igniter into the business end I got a little scared again :lol: So in the interests of safety I carried the launch equipment all the way out to the K impulse pad - 61 meters away:
(Unfortunately the CA attacked whatever kind of plastic the straw was made out of and it shattered off like glass)

Being quite a heavy rocket for an A8 I predicted an altitude of approximately 20 feet, even though OpenRocket calculated 76 feet, or for it to just sit on the pad and static burn. To my surprise it cleared the rod very swiftly and flew true until motor burnout at approximately 20 feet then began tumbling its way up to an estimated apogee of 40 feet before hitting the launch saw horse on the way back down:

Nearing apogee (note the direction it's facing):

Costing a grand total of $9.30 including launching, it was a fun little build and I'm happy with the result. And to answer my original question.... 40 feet 8)
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS President

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: FUIC (a bit of fun and silliness)

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Nice work, square rockets can be entertaining. Have thought about doing that but have stuck to doing a TARDIS instead.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 am

Nice work Lachlan and reminds me of me doing the bubble maker rocket while back... :P
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Excellent work! Let me know when you want to get serious and I'll mail you a Masters Iced Coffee carton. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Return to “Scratch Built”