Complete Newbie - Clusters and Clamps and Control (Oh No!)

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Re: Complete Newbie - Clusters and Clamps and Control (Oh No!)

Postby CATO » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Question, are grid fins / steerable chutes classified as "guided" ?
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Complete Newbie - Clusters and Clamps and Control (Oh No!)

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:42 pm

I don't know the standing on this for either TRA or AMRS perspective. Someone else can possibly chime in on that.

I will comment on the fact that you are guiding the rocket back to a known location. If you have the "known location" too close to your launch location you have likely increased your probability of landing on the flight line, rather than the usual wild "random" scatter that we work to with the point-and-shoot method we normally fly, with its attendant low probability of hitting anything that matters.

My suggestion, if recovery control is allowed where you fly, is to make the LZ way past the pads, that makes sure if you have a reasonable method of control and a not so small CEP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_error_probable) then you reduce the risk of impacting people or cars accidentally. If you fly return-to-launch location then push the pad further away for the flight. It probably counts as a complex flight so that usually happens with the distance anyway :wink: .
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Return to “Scratch Built”