With the summer warming up and no flying until April/May, I have started to tinker with a modular rocket design. My aim is to make different sections that can be stuck together to mix and match different motors, recovery, staging etc.
So far, I have 3D printed some ends and tried our a few prototype sections. It all seems to work, but once I set forth with a particular interface, its going to be hard to change. Happy to listen to opinions on features to add or remove.
The basic structure is based upon BT-70 & 80 tubes. This gives plenty of room to fit stuff into the airframe later. 3D printed ends are bonded in with some balsa stringers running longitudinally and a bit of PU foam.
Here are some illustrations:
I built a short section - about 120mm long - to check the longitudinal strength. About 2kN, which should be sufficient for anything I am likely to put in the back end.
The features so far are:
- Each section joined by 6 off M1.6 fasteners.
- Four pairs of balsa stringers to assist with longitudinal load.
- Two longitudinal tubes to assist with running communications.
- Radial hard points. Initially closed, but can be fitted with an M2 ‘helicoil’ as necessary.
First up I will build a tail section, a mid section with parachute and a nose section. Fly it with a 24 mm diameter E or F category, and see how we go.
Ideally there will be time for bigger, faster, higher etc later.
Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests