Avionics bay for HPV4PoC

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Avionics bay for HPV4PoC

Postby strud » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:45 pm

So I decided to mount the 18650 LiIon batteries this evening and came up with a pretty good compromise given the constraints.

A piece of 2.4mm thick G10 was cutout such that the battery is a snug fit axially and sits with the OD of the battery is flush with the bottom of the G10. A pair of grooves are cut about 1/3 of the length in from each end so the 2.5mm wide cable ties sit in them and aren't able to move axially.

Then a good quality double sided tape is applied to the bottom side in between the cable ties

Then stick in place :D

Nice thing about this approach is that there are no holes through the panel it is mounted on and the cable ties can be removed and battery taken out/replaced if need be.

Not sure what shock would be needed to dislodge these but I suspect the rocket would be in a hole or about 5x its original density after that event so I'm not worried...

RainierWolfcastle
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby RainierWolfcastle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:41 am

I’ve read this thread back and forward multiple times, this is an incredible bay. Look forward to seeing the finished product and I’ll 100% be borrowing some design ideas for my next one!
- Ben

AMRS #174 L2
WARS #037

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Hey Ben, glad some of it might be useful...

Getting close now, just a few minor things remaining such as GPS patch antenna mount and connecting up the SmartSwitchfor to the RocTrak module.

A pic of each sector with ejection canon tubes removed

FarTrak module (front centre), 5V boost converter (left), IMU (triaxial Magnetometer + Gyro + accelerometer), 8.4V boost converter (right)

Smart power switch/isolator (centre), 4000mAh LiIon cell (left) for Camera & 2nd flight computer, 2 cell LiPo + Raven flight computer (right)

RocTrak module (with ublox neo-6m GPS module) with small patch antenna (yet to be mounted)

Backup Flight computer (mine) + SplitCam + 4000mAh LiIon cell

Top Antennae - GPS Helical (left) and 70cm compact rubber ducky (rigth) both for FarTrak module

Bottom antenna - RocTrak transceiver semi-rubber ducky compact 2m antenna

With canon tubes installed

So I think the to-do list is now:

- Ejection charge circuitry and termination through end caps
- mount GPS patch antenna for RocTrak
- hook up camera supply (gnd) to RoCTrak output (enabling camera to be powered up as required)
- Ensure camera is mounted right way up (check video recording,,,)
- Harness attachment points
- hook up SmartSwitch comms/power to RocTrak and confirm operation (should report current and voltage for all three supplies)
- drill access and vent holes in outer tube
- test all works and no interference occurs with all that RF going on :-)

Getting there slowly :-)

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Connected up all power to everything and SmartSwitch unit to RocTrak.

Couple of solder issues with the power monitor IC and a few code tweaks and now the little webpage shows useful battery/power details

Ch1: Has the RocTrak module + FarTrak module running of a single 18650 LiIon cell via 5.0V boost converter (value not taken during Tx it seems, have seen 2A peak)
Ch2: Split Cam + my Flight Computer running of a single 18650 LiIon cell via 8.0V boost converter (camera not recording since SD card not installed)
Ch3: just Raven running of a 2C LiPo direct

Return to “Scratch Built”