Looking for 3D printer recommendation

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

SammiMD
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Looking for 3D printer recommendation

Postby SammiMD » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations for make/model of printer that would be good for 3D printing an LPR to MPR rocket. I'm a poor-as uni student, so something affordable would be great.

I have been looking at the SnapMaker as it's a combined CNC, laser cutter, and 3D printer. If anyone knows much about this printer or something equivalent that would be good for making model rockets, thanks in advance :)

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Looking for 3D printer recommendation

Postby Aquaman33 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:20 pm

I use an Ender 3 Pro and it does everything that I need for LPR, MPR and a little HPR.

I built it in a few hours and my first print came out great. Haven't had any dramas since.

I print mostly in PLA, PLA+ and PETG. It seems to handle those materials well.

I use it for fin guides, nose cones, electronics bays, centering rings, motor retainers, tail cones, transitions, camera mounts etc....

For less than $300 your get a good size print bed (which is heated).

I haven't researched the market recently, so there may be better options out there, but I am happy with my choice.

Worth also asking the question on this Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/610743842957822

Good luck and enjoy. So much fun to be had making your own components.

(sorry can't help regarding CNC or the Snap Maker)

SammiMD
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby SammiMD » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks Aquaman, I'll take a look at the Ender. I'll also meander over to that Facebook group. Appreciate your input! :)

DiscountBatman
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby DiscountBatman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:46 pm

Bought and Ender 3 for one of my mates and it printed well enough but always gave him trouble. For the money they're pretty hard to beat, but I think if you want to spend more time printing than fiddling with the printer might be worth paying a bit more.

I'm using a Wanhao Duplicator i3 that Aldi was selling rebranded a couple years back and its been a dream. Comes half assembles out of the box, uses linear rails which are rock solid and has an LCD touchscreen too. Assisted bed leveling also saves a bunch of headaches, frame is all steel.

Return to “Scratch Built”