Full Scale D-Region Tomahawk

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Re: Full Scale D-Region Tomahawk

Postby cryoscum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:15 pm

The High Altitude Datasheet / Review form will be issued in the next day or two (with the next "Get your Butt to Thunda" newsletter). The idea is to start the review process 6 weeks before the event and have the results out by latest end-Feb.

One of the most important parts of the review process is that you have the rocket complete or very close to complete! For us to look at a sim that is not based on actual 'as-built' information does not mean much. Without actually having measured/weighed the final product, the sim is merely a wild guess. We also need photos of the airframe and the avionics, but that's all mentioned in the doc. An altimeter held in place with blu-tac will not be OK!

It's all about safety, nothing else. I've far too often seen rockets at Balls that pass the Class 3 review process, whilst the sim and the actual rocket on the pad don't even LOOK the same! Then the N5800 that was put in there destroys the rocket in the first 3 seconds, scattering crap over a 200m radius, including over the flight line, all because the sim seemed fine and the end product was very different, or there was no accounting for the quality of the build in the sim.
We'll be heavily using 'common sense' and 'sanity check' principals in the review.

Do your homework, prepare sufficiently, fly safely!
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:52 pm

jase wrote:*sigh*

Can't see the Tomahawk (sensibly) being ready for Thunda. Might be able to have it ready for our first Serp launch around May/June on an N1000...

I'll chuck the O in my Ultimate Darkstar instead, should be good for ~20k feet at ~M1.4 ish...

Jeesus Jase, you can do it, I'm still hoping to have my project ready...and my project is 2 stage....and even worse the tubes haven't left the US yet! :| It is cutting it razor fine but I ordered the tubes in August or September and thought I would have plenty of time!
I'm going to try my very best to get it ready :shock:

Nic, I'll just have to ask for some understanding and indulgence from the technical committee.... :oops:
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Glenlivet...
:)
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Ardbeg... :wink:

Thanks Nic - I stopped using Blu-tac after I got my L3 8)

Nah Pete, she just wont fly in time - I gave her a good nudge! She will fly at Serp though :D

I'm not disappointed or anything like that, I'd rather give it the time it deserves than try and pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Dude we have to get in back to RAG HQ and get this done! 8)

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:43 am

For the information of members and guests (LOL) I gave this project to Lister - I just couldn't fit 5 meters of rocket in my suitcase when I shifted south :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping he can get it finished and flying - so, how is it going buddy?
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

Return to “Scratch Built”