Proton M

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Proton M

Postby Lister » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:18 pm

I have some 3D printed PLA here that I can try some epoxy & 411 fillers on, might also try some UPol body filler.. not sure how a polyester based filler will go on it?

natty
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby natty » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Vance,

I was thinking of adding some clear fins for flight with some small L brackets, so that the rocket might look good on display. I was planning to cut them out of clear perspex once I can get the shape right. Currently I'm looking at having a small fin on each booster, just trying to optimise the shape to make them as small as possible.

I'm thinking of permanently attaching the boosters with some through the wall tabs that will attach on to the motor mount.

For recovery I was thinking of 3 chutes coming out of the boosters, but perhaps thats getting too ambitious!

The rail buttons are going to be a bit problematic I think. I'm not sure that there will be enough clearance between the boosters for the rail. If there isnt enough clearance the, I might have to put in some standoffs.

Thanks for all of your help guys, I'm really excited about this project!

Cheers
Natty
L3
TRA #14024
AMRS #139
MARS #26

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Good luck with the project Natty. Sounds good!

I was planning to cut them out of clear perspex

Consider polycarbonate rather than "Perspex" (Polymethyl methacrylate, PMMA) as PMMA tends to shatter. For the same thickness the polycarb is a bit more flexible so you may need to consider stiffness of the fins, depending on what thickness you choose to use.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

natty
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby natty » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 am

Ok,

I've checked the dims of the real rocket and to get something that's to scale with the boosters, my central booster is going to have to be around 2.2 times the diameter. Luckily I have some tubes that are 125mm in diameter, which is close enough. This also solves the launch rail clearance issue!

The downside is that I'll need to make a nosecone - I guess it will make it look extra nice though

Its going to be a MONSTER :)
L3
TRA #14024
AMRS #139
MARS #26

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:54 am

http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/proton-rocket-31617.html
This is the 3d model that I cut and shut to get the canted nosecones from.
It has a few faults but if you have a cad program that can open it, there is a lot of detail.
I used the free 3d builder program that comes with windows 10 to dissect it
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

Return to “Scratch Built”