Falcon Heavy Replica

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

jhurst7
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Falcon Heavy Replica

Postby jhurst7 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Hello everyone,

This is probably a pretty crazy idea, but it seems pretty cool.

I was just wondering, has anyone seen or heard of a Space Shuttle/Ariane/Shenzhou replica that had the boosters actually fall away? I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a Falcon Heavy replica with detachable boosters. I was also thinking the boosters and core stage could come down via drogue, and then at about 500ft/ lower, fire 3 or 4 little A motors to make it look like it was landing like the SpaceX ones. The thrust from the A's would be enough to give any slack to the drogue but it would look pretty cool. Then after the 'landing engines' had fired, a larger main parachute would come out. It's all at the theoretical stage at the moment but it seems pretty cool. I wouldn't have a second stage on the core stage or anything.

For the booster detachment, I was thinking of having angled couplers and then after burnout having a small ejection charge go through these angled couplers.

I was also thinking of not having the 'landing engines' on the core stage and instead having the fairing split open somehow and the chute coming out of the fairing. For this, I'm thinking of having a small clip on the inside of the bottom of the fairing and then firing a horizontal ejection charge that would open the bottom of the fairing, but still have the top of the fairing on a hinge so it doesn't break. The fairing would then fly off with a shock cord attached and also have a parachute attached to that shock cord.

Does anyone have any advice for this?

-James
L1- AMRAAM 2- H54

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Falcon Heavy Replica

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Drop away boosters are very cool.

Bruce did this, the nose cones on the boosters had a metal bracket that locked onto pins from the main core. When the stage ran out the altimeter ejected the nose cones, which released the boosters and pushed out the chute. Worked well.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

jhurst7
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby jhurst7 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:04 am

Thanks Matt,

Can anyone please tell me how to put boosters on in OpenRocket?

Thanks

-James
L1- AMRAAM 2- H54

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:22 am

I beleive that is a limitation of OR. RockSim does this.

jhurst7
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby jhurst7 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Is there any way to get rocksim? I got the free 30-day trial version from apogee and then looked where I could get the full version and the only place was apogee for $900!

Also, how strongly would the attachment points between the booster nose cones and core stage need to be?
L1- AMRAAM 2- H54

jhurst7
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby jhurst7 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Sorry, I meant $120 for the full version, I just looked again.
L1- AMRAAM 2- H54

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:06 pm

jhurst7 wrote:Is there any way to get rocksim? I got the free 30-day trial version from apogee and then looked where I could get the full version and the only place was apogee for $900!

Also, how strongly would the attachment points between the booster nose cones and core stage need to be?

I've got a copy but the license is locked to the PC. Think $900 is for the pro version. I have seen on TRF that there is a beta of OR that supports this, but it's pretty bad ATM.

Attachment points are really going to depend on weight of rocket and thrust of motors. Also need to keep in mind what happens stress wise if a motor fails to light. Don't want things breaking off...

Return to “Scratch Built”