Parchment Paper Advice

Discussions for scratch builders. For the enthusiast that builds from the ground up. Tell us what you've built and what projects you working on in the space race.

Moderator: Moderators

SinfulDarkLord
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Parchment Paper Advice

Postby SinfulDarkLord » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Do you guys know of a tape that will stick to the parchment paper. I swear as the box says "non-stick" nothing seems to stick to it. I tried masking tape and packing tape and none of them work. Do you guys know, which type of tape could work?


Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 1886
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Parchment Paper Advice

Postby air.command » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:26 pm

SinfulDarkLord wrote:Do you guys know of a tape that will stick to the parchment paper. I swear as the box says "non-stick" nothing seems to stick to it. I tried masking tape and packing tape and none of them work. Do you guys know, which type of tape could work?


We haven't had much luck either with tapes sticking to it. Are you trying to hold it to the mandrel? We use electrical tape to hold it down by wrapping it around and sticking the tape to itself, but making sure a part of it is not on the baking paper so it sticks directly to the mandrel. That stops the paper from slipping around the mandrel.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

SinfulDarkLord
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Parchment Paper Advice

Postby SinfulDarkLord » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 am

air.command wrote:
SinfulDarkLord wrote:Do you guys know of a tape that will stick to the parchment paper. I swear as the box says "non-stick" nothing seems to stick to it. I tried masking tape and packing tape and none of them work. Do you guys know, which type of tape could work?


We haven't had much luck either with tapes sticking to it. Are you trying to hold it to the mandrel? We use electrical tape to hold it down by wrapping it around and sticking the tape to itself, but making sure a part of it is not on the baking paper so it sticks directly to the mandrel. That stops the paper from slipping around the mandrel.


Yeah I have that trouble. Thing is I will be doing a 60" wide tube and spiral wrapping it to the very ends is difficult. Will have to come up with a way to secure it while spiral wrapping the parchment paper.

Thank you


Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Parchment Paper Advice

Postby drew » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:54 am

SinfulDarkLord wrote:Yes those ridges left behind from the shrink tape are a pain in the neck, but the results will be worth it.


Hi Alex! Out of curiosity what results are you expecting the shrink tape to deliver that an airframe layup sans shrink tape wouldn't have?
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

SinfulDarkLord
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Parchment Paper Advice

Postby SinfulDarkLord » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:54 am

drew wrote:
SinfulDarkLord wrote:Yes those ridges left behind from the shrink tape are a pain in the neck, but the results will be worth it.


Hi Alex! Out of curiosity what results are you expecting the shrink tape to deliver that an airframe layup sans shrink tape wouldn't have?


Hi drew,

The results I expect is for compression purposes. The results turned better than I thought. To compare, I layed up the same exact tube without shrink tape with only 5 layers. The tube with shrink tape was layed up with 6 layers. The tube with shrink tape matched the OD of a 3" blue tube while the tube with no shrink tape did not match. The 5 layer tube was slightly larger in OD.

The end results is you get a laminate with more plies, which gives it more strength, without the increased thickness.


Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

User avatar
Jordz
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Re: Parchment Paper Advice

Postby Jordz » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:45 am

This would also add extra weight from the extra layer though. Does the drag reduction make up for the extra layers, or is the difference in both weight and diameter negligible?

SinfulDarkLord
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Parchment Paper Advice

Postby SinfulDarkLord » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Jordz wrote:This would also add extra weight from the extra layer though. Does the drag reduction make up for the extra layers, or is the difference in both weight and diameter negligible?


I would think it depends on the resin content as well. It is a big difference when controlling the resin content. Despite adding an additional layer. I ended up with a tad lighter tube.

If I remember correctly the 5 layer non-compressed tube weighed in at 667 grams. The 6 layer compressed tube weighed in at 592 grams. I ended up with a 65% fiber to 35% resin content. The 5 layer tube was 50% to 50%.

Controlling the resin content helps result in a much lighter tube with the added extra layer.


Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

SinfulDarkLord
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Parchment Paper Advice

Postby SinfulDarkLord » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:53 am

Would it be no issue if I place the parchment paper horizontal instead of spiral wrapping it?

By horizontal I mean wrap it like you would the carbon or glass.


Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet


Return to “Scratch Built”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests