Photographing / Filming Rockets and Producing Videos

Discussions about techniques for rocket building. Leave your tips and tricks to making the perfect rocket.

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Photographing / Filming Rockets and Producing Videos

Postby Digit » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Three of many things I can not do lol (I've not managed to get a still shot or decent video from one of my launches yet, but rely on others).

After watching such great videos as the new QRS promo, the Thunda 2018 promo, Ari's Oz Area 51 at Thunda 2015 and Air Command's TV quality documentaries, I've come to realise this is one aspect of our hobby I am particularly interested in.

After failed searches for how to's, I thought I'd start this thread for our more AV experienced members to share any particular techniques, tips and tricks they may have for interested folk such as myself.

I'll ask the first question, how do you film launches in slow motion?

Cheers.
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Photographing / Filming Rockets and Producing Videos

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:33 am

To do slow motion requires a decent camera with ability to take high frame rate video say 240 f/s with good resolution. When you slow down high frame rate video you will still have a reasonable frame rate. Gopro are a well known example of such a beast but there are other cheaper options.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:01 am

I just film in 1080p 60fps and then slow down or speed up the video after the fact with software. I'm positively crap at editing video as I've never taught myself to do text in video, overlay audio, etc. I just use OpenShot and when you right click on video clips you can set the playback speed via the properties field.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:20 pm

drew wrote:I just film in 1080p 60fps and then slow down or speed up the video after the fact with software. I'm positively crap at editing video as I've never taught myself to do text in video, overlay audio, etc. I just use OpenShot and when you right click on video clips you can set the playback speed via the properties field.

How much do you slow your speed down to Drew. I would have thought 1/2 to 1/3 would be ok but not 1/4?
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Here's the video of my SpeedStack launch last year I took with my Xiaomi Yi slowed to 1/10th speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVpM2IUV53U

I gave the URL instead of embedding the youtube video as it's best to click through and select the 1080p60 resolution on the youtube video.

Looks alright to me, but I could be wrong. What do you think?
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Digit wrote:I'll ask the first question, how do you film launches in slow motion?

Hi Digit, as SpaceManMat and Drew mentioned, in order to get good slow motion video, you need to have a camera that can film at high speed. We use the Exilim FC100 (http://www.exilim.eu/euro/exilimhighspeed/exfc100/) which is a little old now but it gives you a range of frame rates. As with most cameras like these you have to trade frame rate for resolution. Although it can film at 1000 frames per second, you only get a frame size of 224x64 pixels which is almost unusable. The 210fps is a good compromise at 480x360. Not a great frame size but is resonable to watch.

We also use the GoPro Hero 3 Black edition that can shoot at 240fps with a frame size of 848x480 that gives great results.

After you convert the movies to play at say 25 or 30fps that show the slow motion at a smooth frame rate, you can further reduce that in software by around half to get even slower, but beyond that it just starts getting too choppy.

When shooting high speed video you also need lots of light, so your videos will turn out better on sunny days rather than on overcast ones. (The faster the frame rate the less light each frame gathers.)

Slow-mo video typically produces very large data files so you need to make sure you have plenty of room on your memory card. Turn on the camera just before the action starts and turn it off as soon as you can when the action stops. A few times now I've forgotten to turn off the GoPro out near the pad and then had to deal with multi gigabyte data files that need to be processed or copied somewhere so you have enough room for the next launches.

The high data rates with slow motion video also typically require you to have a fast memory card. Usually a class 10 works best.

- George
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

nils
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby nils » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:45 pm

New and expensive smartphone is also an option. Many can do 720p@240fps or more.

Return to “How to's”