Bonding PVC to FWFG

Discussions about techniques for rocket building. Leave your tips and tricks to making the perfect rocket.

Moderator: Moderators

Oldboy
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Bonding PVC to FWFG

Postby Oldboy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Can anyone share there tips and know how or tell me" I'm dreaming ".
I had thought I'd seen this in a previous thread (possibly one of CATO's excellent builds)
All help and advice appreciated Cheers
WARS 005 AMRS 98
"I GOT IT"

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: Bonding PVC to FWFG

Postby kopius » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:56 am

What is it you are specifically wanting to do? Are you trying to use PVC as a coupler or additional airframe?

I have used a 100mm piece once before as an external coupler for a two stage rocket that was thought of after building, however that was not bonded in any way.

Generally speaking though, I would try to avoid using PVC as it is brittle and crack/fragment easily and there is much better products to use.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:04 am

I'd agree with what Blake said.

Saying that, I have had success (many moons ago) bonding JB Weld to PVC - providing the surface is prepared well for bonding 1st.
Of course, JB Weld will dwarf PVC on the "brittle & cracking" scale, so some thought should be offered to the design and implementation process here.

TP
ERG #02

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:37 am

kopius wrote:
Generally speaking though, I would try to avoid using PVC as it is brittle and crack/fragment easily and there is much better products to use.

+1
PVC tubing is cheap and readily available, but that's really all it has going for it wrt rocketry
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

Oldboy
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Oldboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Have a piece of pvc that I was thinking of using as a mounting point inside my nose cone for a threaded rod .
Idea is if I can mount it this way will only need the rear bulkhead on n/c and give me more space inside the n/c rather than just the space the coupler allows .Pvc piece is only inch long with c/r and bulkhead attached to it then rod through centre .
This a non alloy capped Darkstar n/c if this helps with explanation
Cheers
WARS 005 AMRS 98
"I GOT IT"

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am

Well, if it was me, I'd layup a couple of layers of a stretchable tape (like electrical insulation tape) around the join. However, those in Vic will know that I don't place a particularly high importance on cosmetic appearance.

TP
ERG #02

Return to “How to's”