Method for Cutting Quantum & Phenolic Tube

Discussions about techniques for rocket building. Leave your tips and tricks to making the perfect rocket.

Moderator: Moderators

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Method for Cutting Quantum & Phenolic Tube

Postby lorstin » Wed May 11, 2016 10:56 am

I'm about to start my first airframe built from Quantum & phenolic tube, what's the best method/tool for cutting these tubes :?: All :idea:s welcome.
IAAH

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Method for Cutting Quantum & Phenolic Tube

Postby Lister » Wed May 11, 2016 11:20 am

I used to use a hacksaw for both those tube materials, now I have an electric mitre saw I just use that to cut all my tubes including fibreglass.

I have also used the reinforced cut off wheels on the dremel to cut airframes.. I just get some wide masking tape and wrap that around the airframe making sure the edge of the tape sits flush with the spot to cut, this gives you a perfectly straight line to use as a guide. Then fire up the dremel or grab the hacksaw and work your way around the tube.

Make sure you wear a dusk mask and eye protection.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Wed May 11, 2016 11:39 am

If you don't have access to a drop saw or similar, which will generally give one cleancut (light sanding usually requierd) then as lister said, a hacksaw or dremel or even a grinder can work.

If you need to use hacksaw or similar, here are some tips:

To mark off the tube, an easy way is grab a piece of paper (with a straight edge e.g. a piece of plain A4) and wrap it around the tube. Once the edge of the paper over laps itself, if they are completely aligned, then this will an accurate straight line. Grab a piece of tape and stick the perpendicular edge down. You should then be able to slide the page up and down to the desired location. using a pen/marker draw around the line and you will have your cutting mark.

When cutting, don't necessarily cut all the way through on the first go, instead make a score line around the marking which will help keep things straight/neat.

Some light sanding will most likely be required.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Wed May 11, 2016 12:38 pm

:D Thanks guys, looks like I'll be stoking up the :arrow: hacksaw this arvo!
IAAH

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed May 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Blake's paper method for a nice line works well. Use a fine-toothed hacksaw blade. Keep rotating the tube as the teeth break through to the inside. Gentle pressure only.

FYI, general rule when cutting with a HS is to have at least three teeth in contact with the workpiece. That stops the saw digging in and ripping big chunks out. That's why you rotate the tube, to keep the saw at a relatively flat angle compared to the tube surface.

Placing a sheet of sandpaper on a table and sanding the end flat works well when you are done with the saw.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Wed May 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Attachments
Pipe Screw Clamp.jpg
Pipe Screw Clamp.jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed May 11, 2016 9:47 pm

V.clever :D
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Return to “How to's”