Using The good paints and painting

Discussions about techniques for rocket building. Leave your tips and tricks to making the perfect rocket.

Moderator: Moderators

Which p[aint do you prefer

Fiddly bits
50%
5 STAR :D
50%

Total votes: 4

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Using The good paints and painting

Postby water rocketry man » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:14 am

Hey guys i have being having rerally bad luck with paint my rockets these day and usally destroy them :cry: :cry: :cry: cause either i make

mistakes where i have to pull out a cloth and minreal turpintine which basicaly weakens the glue to the point were the fins are so wobbily you can just rip them off !

And the paint im using is just as bad ( Curse you :evil: fiddily bits) And i found out that 5 star spray paint is much more better to use than fiddly bits or the stuff from super cheap auto. :) But i wish they come in more and more colours.

So is there some paint remover that dosent take off the glue as well.

PS: all rocketers Use 5 STAR its the best.

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:19 am

I don't get it. If you make a mistake with your painting, why not just sand it back and re-paint?

Or if you are not super fussy on the finish, just re-paint over the areas you are not happy with.
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:30 am

well i usally make big mistakes :oops: but i dont want it to dry but i i thought i could never get it of when its dry. :oops:

But 5 star is a good paint its all ways dose a good good and unlike fiddily bits its not too wet.

Well you guys tell me step by step how to do a perfect paint job then eh.
Also i want to make stripe and patterns on my rockets dose blue scotts tape work on spray paint like dose it take the paint of when its dry .

Or could you guys recomend a product or technique that makes good patterens 8)

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:05 pm

I have never heard of 5-star, is it an american brand?

Dont try to wipe off the paint with turps, you will just wreck the rocket and turn it to scrap. If you screw up a coat, let it dry then sand and repaint. Turps is probably the wrong solvent anyway.

You must seal balsa before you paint it as I pointed out on the build day.

Fiddly Bits works fine if you just give very light coats and let it dry before you put on another coat. Make sure you are holding the spray can at least 30cm from the model while you are spraying. Remember, light coats or you will get runs!!

I use Scotch Magic Tape for masking detail and normal low-tack masking tape (blue) for general masking. I (carefully) remove the mask straight after it is sprayed so I dont get bleed or a ridge.

I hope you didn't wreck your new rockets. If you are not sure about what you are doing, it would be best to wait for the next build day.
Last edited by astroboy on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satans stooge.

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:20 pm

And read the instructions.
The time you need for the paint to dry between coats can vary depending on the brand and even the type of paint
I used some chrome spray paint and it said to leave it for 4 days before re-coating
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:52 pm

i leave my coats for 4 hours when im using 5 star and this spray paint is Aus made. I get it from the warehouse.

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Make sure that your coats are very light if you are recoating at that time. You shouldn't try to fill the balsa grains with spray paint or you WILL get runs. You need to seal balsa before spraying.
Satans stooge.

memberr
Engineer
Engineer

Postby memberr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm

light, even coats of paint is the key. Trying to get full coverage first time will almost always lead to runs
The good thing about 'wet' paints like fiddly bits is that when you do a proper job and choose the right undercoat colours the top coat really jumps out at you

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:44 pm

astroboy wrote:Make sure that your coats are very light if you are recoating at that time. You shouldn't try to fill the balsa grains with spray paint or you WILL get runs. You need to seal balsa before spraying.

what do you mean by sealing the balsa
:?:

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Yes but the 5 star is so goodit only needs about 1 to 2 coats of paint to make it good.

But thanks everyone for giving me theses tips cause what i think im doing is going to close and making really thick jobs which i do not want.

Thin coats it is how much thin coats should i need and how much weight will it put on.

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Some people cover the fins with paper to seal the balsa. It works well and is tough too.

I use nitrocelulose laquer (Dope) mixed with microspheres (you can use talcum powder). Give them a sanding once dry and away you go. You need to make sure you coat each fin quickly and evenly to cut down on warping. This method is more toxic than the paper one though.
Satans stooge.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Asher mate, if you read carefully what all above guys wrote, you'll be right. :)

I believe you have a problem because you apply the paint too thick, that's it. As Astro said, you can get a sandable undercoat that seals the balsa/cardboard. Sand it well with fine sandpaper. Fiddly bits works out fine if you spray it from the distance of about 30cm ( as Astro pointed out) and just spray a light mist on first. Couple of ours later another fine coating and repeat one more time after couple of hours. There is NO doubt you'll get a finish you will be happy with. 8) :wink: Ps. Wear gloves, remember what your hands looked last time, we don't want that, hey. :wink:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

matthew
Cairns...no where near that
Cairns...no where near that

Postby matthew » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Be careful with masking. Even low tack tapes can lift paint if it isn't fully dry. The best way to tell if paint is dry is to give it the smell test - if you can smell the paint, it's not dry.

Astroboy - where are you getting nitrocellulose dope? I've looked in a few places, but I feel kind of weird asking for dope.. :shock: :lol:
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm

I leave it for days before I mask.....and I still get caught out sometimes.

I get the dope from HobbyOne at Mt Gravatt. It was surprisingly hard to find. It seems kids these days aren't interested in balsa planes. Its a shame.
Satans stooge.

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:52 pm

That's what I love about using the airbrush, the paint is normally dry pretty much the moment it hits the rocket.

Usually I paint, mask, paint and apply a clear gloss in a single afternoon.
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

Return to “How to's”