9th July 2017 Launch. Flames, Smoke & Noise Spectacular!

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

9th July 2017 Launch. Flames, Smoke & Noise Spectacular!

Postby Digit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 am

LAUNCH INVITATION

The Queensland Rocketry Society Inc (QRS) would like to invite all interested people and members of the Australian rocketry community to our July "Smoke, Flames & Noise" spectacular launch.

This is a change to our usual advertised launch in that it has paid entry for non-QRS members in order to fund some BIG launches that we have planned on the hour every hour, we plan on using every inch of our ceiling and making a lot of noise doing it! 8)

There will be a sausage sizzle and cold drinks available for purchase, and there will also be toilet facilities onsite for this launch. We are expecting a large number of spectators and potentially even media coverage so bring your biggest, baddest rockets and have some fun showing our hobby off to the public!

Remember to pre order any large motors required that Australian Rocketry might not carry in their mobile store.

LAUNCH DETAILS

Date: Sunday 9th July 2017
Range Open: 0800.
Range Closed: 1300.
Ceiling: 5000ft AMSL. (A NOTAM will be posted with Air Services Brisbane office).

DIRECTIONS

If you require directions to launch area 2 at Cedar Grove, please refer to the QRS Website.

SPECIAL NOTICES FOR THE DAY

* Members are asked to sign in at the RSO table at 8:00am.
* If your membership is not current on the day, you will not be able to launch.
* HPR rocketeers will need to provide evidence of a current QLD explosives licence.
* If launching an unproven design, either scratch built or a modified kit, bring a copy of your sim so the RSO can verify the stability/safety of your rocket.

AMRS CERTIFICATION FLIGHTS

This launch is AMRS sanctioned and AMRS certification flights for Level 1 & 2 will be conducted. Remember to make arrangements with the AMRS Certification Officer prior to the launch day. AMRS members from across Australia who wish to attempt certification are welcome to attend for this purpose.

UNFAVOURABLE WEATHER

If adverse weather or other conditions on the day of the launch effect the launch program, the launch will be rescheduled. If on the day of the launch, you are uncertain the launch will proceed, check this post for updates or contact ‪07 33331655‬and follow the prompts to local clubs. A cancellation notice will be posted to the launch site shortly after 7:00am on the day of the launch.

See you there.

QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: 9th July 2017 Launch. Flames, Smoke & Noise Spectacular!

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Sounds like a great idea. I believe all this stage will not have an issue attending.

My plan was to do a shakedown test on 38MD to about 1km with a G sparkie. Wind needs to be good otherwise will be a big walk.

So could back that up with a TARDIS or X Wing flight which I think will be a crowd pleaser but not a big bad flames and smoke.

Anyway love to hear what others are planning, we would happen to see a half scale patriot on the day would we?

I notice Nic and Ari rockets in the flyer also.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:31 am

I plan on launching my first rocket in 8 months and bringing my quicksilver along to try out one of the new Mellow Yellow CTI motors 8)

QRS Committee Member

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:01 am

Would anybody have a chute release I could borrow for a launch at all? I'm having trouble finding one for sale in the country.

QRS Committee Member

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:38 pm

What a magnificent day it was today at our Flames, Smoke & Noise Spectacular launch! We could not have asked for more perfect conditions with next to no clouds, cool dense air and absolutely no wind until almost lunch time. Conditions were so perfect for flying in fact when we arrived on site to setup there were EIGHT hot air balloons aloft! We’ve not seen that many up before.

There were large numbers of public in attendance with vehicles lining both sides of our access track all the way out to the gate as well as down the side of the road, and with 108 launches for the day, the many members that attended did not fail to entertain!
The Fly it Take it program was once again a big hit with all 50 rockets selling out quick and there was a good spread of motor sizes for the day with 50xA, 5xB, 24xC, 8xD, 1xE, 3xF, 10xG, 2xH, 4xI, 2xJ, 2xK and 1xM. The largest motor for the day was Ari Piirainen’s “Oz Thunder” on an M1500 Mojave Green to 4500 feet and the smallest motor for the day (excluding the 50 FITI) was actually a draw between five members with B6-4’s.
Jim Lawes launched his “Katana 3” on a J357 Blue Streak for a picture-perfect Level 2 certification flight. Well done Jim!
Thanks to Australian Rocketry for kindly donating a “MFR Model Rocket Set” that was raffled off and won by lucky spectators Gia and Hugo, their dad will soon become a rocket scientist helping them assemble it.
Phil and Julie were surprised when they were called up to LCO table and presented a plaque each in appreciation of their continued support to the Queensland Rocketry Society. Congratulations Phil and Julie and thank you!

Thank you to all members for ‘showing up and showing off’ and making todays launch a fantastic success! Also a big thank you to those members that tirelessly worked behind the scenes at the gate, on the barbeque, manning the FITI stand, running the raffle and those that arrived early to help setup and remained behind to help pack up.
See you all next launch!

QRS Committee Member

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:27 pm

QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Cool video, thanks for sharing.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L1

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Congratulations Jim on your L2 flying a very nice rocket!

L1 last month.... L2 this month... L3 next month???
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:26 pm

crom wrote:L1 last month.... L2 this month... L3 next month???

Careful Matt, he'll be the president by September :lol:

QRS Committee Member

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:10 pm

A great day for launching rockets, thanks everyone who helped out.

Congrats on certification Jim.

After some difficulty with igniters I eventually got the Purple Parrot off the pad on its maiden flight and captured a nice shot of it.
Purple Parrot QRS Open Day G69 SK

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Really disappointed to have missed the purple parrot flight SMM. Glad it was successful. Did you get any video??
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm sorry Mat I was not prepared for the motor you chose for the Purple Parrot and had my camera settings way wrong.. .so I have a beautiful shot of your rail guide in a spark shower :oops:

it was a beautiful flight and your fly away appeared to have worked perfectly, glad you managed to get a picture!

QRS Committee Member

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:44 am

Digit wrote:I'm sorry Mat I was not prepared for the motor you chose for the Purple Parrot and had my camera settings way wrong.. .so I have a beautiful shot of your rail guide in a spark shower :oops:

it was a beautiful flight and your fly away appeared to have worked perfectly, glad you managed to get a picture!

Actually it's a rather nice shot I think, might check over my earlier shots and see where the guide is. Pity my phone does not take as detailed a picture. The propellant by the way was is a 1 grain skidmark CTI, it's the lowest impulse G motor they make in 38mm plus it was loaded down with a min diameter extension bar and 2 grain case with spacer. The plan is to fly it on a I216 which is the largest I (4 grain) CTI make so it's really going move, just need to get out to westmar...

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Slow motion video shot by Mark P:

QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 pm

crom wrote:Slow motion video shot by Mark P:

Nice thanks Mark and Matt

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”