10th December 2017 Launch and AGM

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

10th December 2017 Launch and AGM

Postby Digit » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 am

LAUNCH INVITATION

The Queensland Rocketry Society Inc (QRS) would like to invite all interested people and members of the Australian rocketry community to our December launch.

LAUNCH DETAILS

Date: Sunday 10th December 2017
Range Open: 0800.
Range Closed: 1300.
Ceiling: 5000ft AGL. (A NOTAM will be posted with Air Services Brisbane office).

DIRECTIONS

If you require directions to launch area 2 at Cedar Grove, please refer to the QRS Website.

SPECIAL NOTICES FOR THE DAY

* Members are asked to sign in at the RSO table at 8:00am.
* If your membership is not current on the day, you will not be able to launch.
* HPR rocketeers will need to provide evidence of a current QLD explosives licence.
* If launching an unproven design, either scratch built or a modified kit, bring a copy of your sim so the RSO can verify the stability/safety of your rocket.

AMRS CERTIFICATION FLIGHTS

This launch is AMRS sanctioned and AMRS certification flights for Level 1 & 2 will be conducted. Remember to make arrangements with the AMRS Certification Officer prior to the launch day. AMRS members from across Australia who wish to attempt certification are welcome to attend for this purpose.

UNFAVOURABLE WEATHER

If adverse weather or other conditions on the day of the launch effect the launch program, the launch will be rescheduled. If on the day of the launch, you are uncertain the launch will proceed, check this post for updates or contact 07 33331655 and follow the prompts to local clubs. A cancellation notice will be posted to the launch site shortly after 7:00am on the day of the launch.

2017 QRS AGM

Dear QRS Member

The 2017 AGM for the Queensland Rocketry Society Inc. will be held on Sunday 10 December 2017 following the December launch at the Cedar Grove launch site. As part of the AGM, QRS will be supplying a BBQ lunch with drinks for all attendees. (Since this is the December launch, please bring along your Christmas rockets and we will have a Christmas themed launch.)

As per the constitution, all committee positions will be declared vacant and I encourage members to put forward their interest in joining the committee. Current committee members will also be required to put forward their interest if they would like to remain on the committee.

The available positions are:

i) President
ii) Secretary
iii) Treasurer / Membership Officer
iv) Committee member
v) Committee member
vi) Committee member (as required)

Please indicate your interest in joining the committee no later than Thursday 7 December by contacting the president.

See you all there!
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

Sirbrad
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: 10th December 2017 Launch and AGM

Postby Sirbrad » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:06 pm

I have level 1 certification (printed on my membership card) but I don't have an explosives licence. Was I supposed to receive it when I got my level 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi Brad. You will have to apply for an explosives license if you haven't already here:

https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/__data/asse ... vidual.pdf

The "type" to apply for is "propellant powders " and "other". In the other box write "hobby rocket motors over 62.5 grams".

"Purpose for use" is "high powered rocketry".

If you need any more help with the form let me know I've done a few now.

QRS Committee Member

Sirbrad
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Sirbrad » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:43 am

Digit wrote:Hi Brad. You will have to apply for an explosives license if you haven't already here:

https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/__data/asse ... vidual.pdf

The "type" to apply for is "propellant powders " and "other". In the other box write "hobby rocket motors over 62.5 grams".

"Purpose for use" is "high powered rocketry".

If you need any more help with the form let me know I've done a few now.

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby High Impulse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:34 pm

I will be hopefully coming out on Sunday, but will likely be by myself this time. Is there any chance I could squeeze under someones gazebo at all?

Cheers,

Adam
L1: Callisto - H410VM

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Always welcome with me Adam.

Warren

Sirbrad
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Sirbrad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 pm

All sorted with the application my explosives licence. The guys at the explosives inspectorate were very helpful.

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby High Impulse » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks Warren, I appreciate it :)
L1: Callisto - H410VM

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:06 am

Sirbrad wrote:All sorted with the application my explosives licence. The guys at the explosives inspectorate were very helpful.

Good to hear Brad, see you on Sunday mate.

QRS Committee Member

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm

A respectable member turnout for our final launch day of the year saw 42 launches, followed by our AGM and a complimentary BBQ. There was a perfect balance of low and medium-powered flights with impulse ranges being: 1xA, 9xB, 10xC, 5xD, 1xE, 4xF, 4xG, 5xH and 3xOther.

Warren got us into the festive spirit with his highly decorated “Christmas Angel” rocket flying to 1000ft on a H125. With several meters of tinsel attached to the airframe and an angel decoration atop the nose cone, the fantastic looking rocket glistened all the way to apogee and back again. Catalina also brought along a festive rocket; “Santa’s Hat”; that was red in colour and sported a pom-pom atop the nose cone.

Alex launched his “Now You See It” into low earth orbit on a D21-7. With a lift off weight of only 58g, it almost teleported to its apogee of 1800ft!

Mark and Matt Parsons had a spectacular V-Max drag race that required a video referee to determine the winner (Congratulations to Matt!)

Calum brought along his “T-65 X-Wing”; this time sporting fresh decals; for yet another successful flight.

Mark O’Donoghue has really taken his ‘odd rocs’ to the next level, bringing along his new “DDC 629.4” (a ‘skeletal’ framed rocket with no ‘skin’) and the “Mega Spinning Blades of Death” (a 3 grain 29mm CTI case with a three-bladed rotor attached to base). They both flew perfectly for their maiden flights, well done Mark.

In a first for a QRS launch, Tharn brought along his “Fizz Rocket” that utilises an acid/base neutralisation reaction as it’s form of propulsion. The diminutive rocket stands 3 inches tall and only reaches an altitude of 16ft but was very unique in that the fact that it utilises bicarbonate soda and white vinegar as propellant. A measured amount of the soda was placed into the launch pad and a larger amount of vinegar placed into the plastic rocket. The rocket and launch pad were then pressed together and within a few seconds a chemical reaction had produced enough gas to force the two apart, launching the rocket.

Thank you to all who attended the launch and AGM and to our BBQ volunteers: Julie, Talina and Petar.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from QRS and See you all in January!

QRS Committee Member

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 am

QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm

A few photos I managed to get

HPR Drag race
HPR Drag race by SpaceManMat, on Flickr

Unknown by SpaceManMat, on Flickr

Closeup of the X Wing on the pad.
X Wing on the pad by SpaceManMat, on Flickr

Oliver’s rocket chose an interesting path...
Oliver’s rocket by SpaceManMat, on Flickr
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”