8th July 2018 Launch

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

8th July 2018 Launch

Postby Digit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:36 pm

LAUNCH INVITATION

The Queensland Rocketry Society Inc (QRS) would like to invite all interested people and members of the Australian rocketry community to our July launch.

LAUNCH DETAILS

Date: Sunday 8th July 2018
Range Open: 0800.
Range Closed: 1300.
Ceiling: 5000ft AGL. (A NOTAM will be posted with Air Services Brisbane office).

DIRECTIONS

If you require directions to launch area 2 at Cedar Grove, please refer to the QRS Website.

SPECIAL NOTICES FOR THE DAY

* Members are asked to sign in at the RSO table at 8:00am.
* If your membership is not current on the day, you will not be able to launch.
* HPR rocketeers will need to provide evidence of a current QLD explosives licence.
* If launching an unproven design, either scratch built or a modified kit, bring a copy of your sim so the RSO can verify the stability/safety of your rocket.

AMRS CERTIFICATION FLIGHTS

This launch is AMRS sanctioned and AMRS certification flights for Level 1 & 2 will be conducted. Remember to make arrangements with the AMRS Certification Officer prior to the launch day. AMRS members from across Australia who wish to attempt certification are welcome to attend for this purpose.

UNFAVOURABLE WEATHER

If adverse weather or other conditions on the day of the launch effect the launch program, the launch will be rescheduled. If on the day of the launch, you are uncertain the launch will proceed, check this post for updates or contact 07 33331655 and follow the prompts to local clubs. A cancellation notice will be posted to the launch site shortly after 7:00am on the day of the launch.

See you there!
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

Sirbrad
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: 8th July 2018 Launch

Postby Sirbrad » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:54 pm

I’ll be there with my first scratch built 7 motor cluster rocket and my son is bringing a two stage using C6 motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Awesome stuff Brad, I look forward to seeing them! Will you be using flashpan or individual ignitors for your 7 motor?

Have you seen the thread for my 7 motor build?
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

Sirbrad
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Sirbrad » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:08 pm

For my first launch I’ll be using igniters. Then I’m looking to build a flash pan called a spider.

http://meatballrocketry.com/pvc-spider/

Yes I’ve seen your thread. My cluster is essentially a copy of the ‘cluster duck’ from north coast rocketry.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Ki ... uster-Duck

I just need to get enough C6-0 for the launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:22 am

I'll be picking up the QRS trailer on Sunday morning but may need to leave early....

Are there any members available to drop the trailer back after the launch?

Matt
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Launch report to come…

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:44 pm

QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:05 pm

Perfect launching conditions greeted members for the July launch earlier today with no wind and clear skies.

Many new members and spectators were in attendance to watch a total of 48 launches. The theme was definitely low power with 35 launches in the A - D impulse range, 11 mid power launches and only 2 high power launches.

Highlights include:
- Some guy called Ari doing his 276th launch with the club on his 'Yellowish Rocket' on a G64 to 200 ft
- Austin flying his fantastic scale model 'Falcon 9' multiple times, with the final flight on an F44 to 1500 ft...
- Brad completing a perfect launch of '7up': a 7 motor cluster rocket with 6 x C6 motors and a central D12 to 1400 ft
- Brad followed this up with the first high power flight of the day: 'Silver Bullet' on an H120 to 2700 ft
- Highlight of the day was Jack's two stage scale 'Falcon 9': a 2.2m tall rocket flying on an I500 staged to an I140. Only the first stage motor lit so we'll look forward to a second attempt at the August launch day

A big thank you to our volunteers on the day, especially Rob, Mark, Petar, Cran and Phil for helping out with RSO / LCO and site set-up / pack-up. Special shout out to Sarah for doing such a great job in her first ever stint as LCO.

See you all again next month!
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 am

Who's this Ari bloke?

Does he know anything about rockets?

I'll have to get to meet him one day.

Good to see you with a rocket Ari - Pity I couldn't make this launch.

Catch'ya later mate, Warren

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Awesome photos Matt and what a beautiful day for rocketry. No wind, blue skies and cool temp. :D

Some guy called Ari doing his 276th launch with the club on his 'Yellowish Rocket' on a G64 to 200 ft ( MISSING A 0 here Matt. :lol: )

I missed you also Warren my dear friend. Sadly the family has taken priority over the rockets lately, I got no idea how that is possible. :P

That beautiful little girl on the photo is Emma and she loves rockets. She got to launch my "Yellowish Rocket " and was so excited about it.

So good to see so many young boys and girls building and launching rockets. A good sign that club is going well. 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

snrkl
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby snrkl » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:23 pm

looks like I missed a great one for the kids... great pics too guys..

I was disappointed to miss yet another launch... but... the house move is now finished, the garage is clear enough for a "rocket nook", I have received a big box of parts for my next HPR (my first real dual deploy) and construction is going to start very soon (once Blake has time to send me new CRs for my tailcone, as the ones I specced weren't the right size...)

so - heres to getting back into the practice of getting things up in the air again...

Look forward to seeing you all at the August launch...

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”