13 September 2015 Launch

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

Ironside
Is there a manual for that
Is there a manual for that

13 September 2015 Launch

Postby Ironside » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:48 pm

LAUNCH INVITATION
The Queensland Rocketry Society Inc. (QRS) would like to cordially extend to all interested persons and members of the Australian rocketry community an open invitation to join with us for our September launch for 2015.

With the temperature starting to get a little more appealing, it's time to blast off a few rockets in celebration. For those who have just started in the rocketry journey, time to try out some of those new rocket kits. Remember that we have the [i]Blast Off[i] program and the mentoring system that is available to all those starting out.

LAUNCH DETAILS
Date : Sunday, 13 September, 2015
Range Open : 0800
Range Closed : 1300
Ceiling : 5,000 Ft AGL
(A NOTAM will be posted with Air Services Australia Office Brisbane)

DIRECTIONS
If you need details of how to get to Launch Area 2A at Cedar Grove, please refer to the QRS web site.

SPECIAL NOTES FOR THE DAY.
* Members are asked to sign in at the RSO table at 8.00am.
* Note that if your membership is not current on the day of the launch, you will not be able to launch any rockets
* HPR rocketeers will need to provide evidence that they have a current Queensland explosives licence if they intend to launch

AMRS CERTIFICATION FLIGHTS
This launch will be a AMRS sanctioned and AMRS certification flights for Level 1 and Level 2 Flights will be conducted. Remember to make arrangements with the AMRS Certification Officer prior to the launch day.

Invited AMRS members from across Australia or beyond, wishing to attempt certification technical, safety or practical examination are most welcome to attend the launch event for this purpose.

PRE-LAUNCH MEETING
We would like to conduct a short pre-launch briefing to keep you informed of recent administrative issues. The briefing will commence at 8.00am.

IN THE EVENT OF UNFAVOURABLE WEATHER
Adverse weather (and other) conditions on the day of the launch e.g rain, high winds, total fire bans and limited visibility may affect the launch program. If this is the case, the launch will be rescheduled.

If, on the day of launch, you suspect that this may be case, you are encouraged to check this post again for updates or contact 07 3333 1655 and follow the prompts to local clubs. A cancellation notice will be posted at the launch site shortly after 7:00 AM on the day of the launch.

See you there.
AMRS Level 3
QRS #65|AMRS #25

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Re: 13 September 2015 Launch

Postby october sky » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:40 pm

As the sun rose, there was clear skies and no wind. What else you need to have a great day of rocketry...yes, yes, people who launch the rockets.... :roll:

As I arrived to the launch site around 7.15am, Petar and Larry were there already and a heard of cows of at least 40+. This is now become a regular thing. They are so curious when we get there.

Petar did his best in "How to round up cows" thing and they went from one side to the other several times....bit of humour relief there. :lol:

Morning started quite slow but then by 9am it really picked up.

I'm so impressed by the fact that the number of visitors in what we call "club launches" has grown and grown. We had at least 20 or so people there that had never been to the rocket launch. And this without any advertising.

We do have flyers in many libraries and also in one of the main Australian Geographic stores ( Garden City) and all this helps and also past TV programs and Newspaper articles. All this is paying dividends now.

Following congratulations are in order : Ivan did his L2 on the a rocket called...funny enough...."Level 2" and he nailed the launch & recovery. Using J380 power the flight was flawless. Big congrats Ivan.

And I'm so happy to report that long suffering Asher got his L1 today using one of his beautifully built retro rockets called "Red" using H90 for power. Big congrats to you also Asher.

Then we had Lily, a 11 year old "veteran" in rocketry going for L1 with her mum as the guardian. And the name of the rocket......"Destroying Angel"......what can I say....and she used H145 motor to make it all happen. Well done Lily and big congrats to you young lady.

There was also another L1 attempt. Bruce launched his "Black and Blue Goblin" using I180 for a great flight but sadly, it ended up so far away that he never recovered it. That is just sad but things happen in rocketry.

Many other flights took place, in fact when I counted the flight card's, there were 41 flights that took to the skies today so quite a busy morning after all.

Visitors had a ball and I know for a fact that there will be new members for QRS from all this. That is good news.

It was also good to meet Kir who is a member here at the forum. Great meeting you mate.

By noon there were some clouds around and even some breeze but nothing to worry about so all good.

Well, till next time. It will be our "October Skies" launch and I hope all of you boys and girls come and show what we do here at QRS !
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Congrats everyone on the certification flights especially Lily. I've been trying to convince my older kids to try their hand at rocket building and certification. So far only Miranda has built one and half built a second. Cannot wait for October skys, there's a Calibre ISP with Oliver's name on it that will be doing its shake down flight, probably go for a G split mark I expect. I'll post a few pictures from today once they finish syncing.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Well done to all who cert'ed.
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3

Impulse:
2017: 5,973 Ns (13.14% M)
Ns 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

GUMBY
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby GUMBY » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:49 pm

It was a great day for flying, congratulations to all who certified today.

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:25 pm

QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”