12th Feb 2017 Launch

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

12th Feb 2017 Launch

Postby Digit » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:11 am

LAUNCH INVITATION

The Queensland Rocketry Society Inc (QRS) would like to invite all interested people and members of the Australian rocketry community to our January launch.

LAUNCH DETAILS

Date: Sunday 12th Feb.
Range Open: 0800.
Range Closed: 1300.
Ceiling: 5000ft AGL. (A NOTAM will be posted with Air Services Brisbane office).

DIRECTIONS

If you require directions to launch area 2 at Cedar Grove, please refer to the QRS Website.

SPECIAL NOTICES FOR THE DAY

* Members are asked to sign in at the RSO table at 8:00am.
* If your membership is not current on the day, you will not be able to launch.
* HPR rocketeers will need to provide evidence of a current QLD explosives licence.
* If launching an unproven design, either scratch built or a modified kit, bring a copy of your sim so the RSO can verify the stability/safety of your rocket.

AMRS CERTIFICATION FLIGHTS

This launch is AMRS sanctioned and AMRS certification flights for Level 1 & 2 will be conducted. Remember to make arrangements with the AMRS Certification Officer prior to the launch day. AMRS members from across Australia who wish to attempt certification are welcome to attend for this purpose.

UNFAVOURABLE WEATHER

If adverse weather or other conditions on the day of the launch effect the launch program, the launch will be rescheduled. If on the day of the launch, you are uncertain the launch will proceed, check this post for updates or contact 07 33331655 and follow the prompts to local clubs. A cancellation notice will be posted to the launch site shortly after 7:00am on the day of the launch.

See you there.
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: 12th Feb 2017 Launch

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:22 am

See you all there, I have 2 flights planned:
The missus will be flying a rocket for the first time.
Also I'll be doing the second trial flight of my X Wing.

Hope you can all make it and contribute to the fun :)
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:04 pm

*Forwarded message from the QRS President*

The QRS committee has received some queries about the planned launch day tomorrow due to the forecast hot weather in Jimboomba.

At this stage, the February launch is going ahead.

In anticipation of the heat, we plan on starting launches earlier than usual to target an early finish time and avoid the hottest part of the day. Based on this, launching will start at 7:30 am with a planned finish at 11 am.

Could I ask all members that are available to arrive at the launch site at 7 am to assist with site set up.

The club will also be providing free water to members at the launch.

Thanks
Matt
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Sadly I can't make this one but wanted say that keep cool guys....this heat is crazy so all normal precautions .....lots of sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat & lots of water ...it is going to be just boiling there. :shock:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

jhurst7
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby jhurst7 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Great launch day.

Thanks to everyone involved, I had a great time.
Even though I lost my AMRAAM in the corn fields, it was very fun flying it.
The free water was great and some of the flights were spectacular.
Thank you to everyone.

-James
L1- AMRAAM 2- H54

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:23 pm

With the prospect of a very hot day, it was decided to start earlier and finish up around 11am. There was a great turn out and a few new member signups. There were 29 launches in total, consisting of mainly LPR/MPR motors.

James and Jack had a drag race with their AMRAAM2's on H410 V-Max motors which left the pad so fast it was declared a draw. Additionally, after a slight modification (aka removal of the canards), Jack's flight was also a successful L1 Certification. Well done Jack!

Warren tested out his new rocket 'Sky Burst' which loaded the sky with fluorescent pink and green streamers.

Caelum flew his X Wing on a D24 with a perfect boost flying dead straight to Apogee.

Adam's Callisto flew perfectly, but became 'hung up' requiring the assistance of Energex to recover.

Mark pulled out some old faithfuls, flying his Patriot and Big Daddy.

After a few years away, Aldo returned (last month) and was quickly back into it. This month he brought along a newly made Phobos flying on a G126 and an AMRAAM2 on a G250.

Father and daughter team Rod and Sarah, saw launches of Sarah's Flyin' Lion and Mystic on a G83. After a spectacular G80-13T motor CATO last launch, Rod had his Bull Puppy repaired and ready to fly again. Unfortunately it sustained some damage to the canards which made for a spectacular flight.

Blake (me) managed three flights on a Fever, MFR and 'Green with Envy' on a H73 which has recently returned from the MARS launch in Victoria.

The QRS supplied water bottles were well received and as the temperature ventured into the high 30's a few of us managed a trip to the pub for some well earned drinks and lunch.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:28 pm

You were lucky to even be able to launch.
NSW had a state-wide fire ban so we had to cancel ours.
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:01 pm

kopius wrote:Blake (me) managed three flights on a Fever, MFR and 'Green with Envy' on a H73 which has recently returned from the MARS launch in Victoria.
:shock:
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3

Impulse:
2017: 5,973 Ns (13.14% M)
Ns 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby High Impulse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Well the rocket gods were in my favour :)

Went out to Jimboomba for work today and swung by the launch site to see if my rocket was still dangling and luck would have it, the rocket was lying in the grass with minimal weather damage.

I dont know how it untangled itself but there was a section of shock cord that appeard to be melted through which may have dislodged it (how this happened ive got no clue - i thought nylon was insulating???).

GPS still works which is a plus and should only need a new battery as Im not comfortable using the old one for flights again. Needs a new shock cord too, but ive got plenty at home, so could be a lot worse.

I guess that leaves only one thing, Str8Up will you be up for a drag race sometime mid year :twisted: ?

Cheerio,

Adam
L1: Callisto - H410VM

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:41 am

What motor will we fly with???

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby High Impulse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Well it will have to be a sparky of some kind ;)
L1: Callisto - H410VM

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”