L2 Attempt Launch 2018 Questions

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: L2 Attempt Launch 2018 Questions

Postby joeman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:04 am

2. "Proposed storage method and location for explosives" - I was going to put that I don't intend on storing any of explosives that are allowed under the License - that I would be purchasing/using directly at launch site.
What about black powder?, also there are times when you'll purchase but not fly for some reason.

Yes, good point.

I know initially there is no way I could take a motor with me. (Since I'm flying down to Cairns). If the HPR flight was scrubbed, I'd have to destroy it. I don't have any choice. There are no launch sites here in Cairns and would prefer to do it under a club sponsored launch.

RE: Black powders - Store in separate locked garden shed in sealed container in original packaging.

I'll put that down.

I'm just going to have to fly down a bit more often.

[YES, Moving down south might be a good idea]
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:46 pm

joeman wrote:
2. "Proposed storage method and location for explosives" - I was going to put that I don't intend on storing any of explosives that are allowed under the License - that I would be purchasing/using directly at launch site.
What about black powder?, also there are times when you'll purchase but not fly for some reason.

Yes, good point.

I know initially there is no way I could take a motor with me. (Since I'm flying down to Cairns). If the HPR flight was scrubbed, I'd have to destroy it. I don't have any choice. There are no launch sites here in Cairns and would prefer to do it under a club sponsored launch.

RE: Black powders - Store in separate locked garden shed in sealed container in original packaging.

I'll put that down.

I'm just going to have to fly down a bit more often.

[YES, Moving down south might be a good idea]

No need to destroy anything, these always someone willing to take it off your hands :wink:
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby joeman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:00 pm

hahahaha Yes. Definitely :)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:11 am

Hi Joe,

In addition to SMM, below are the answers you are seeking
joeman wrote:Blake: Can you please send me the QRS letter please so that I can include it in the application?

Inbound!
joeman wrote:I have a few questions regarding the form. Hoping someone might be able to help.

** "Have you been assessed as competent in the use of explosives within the past 5 years". I assume this is more for Shotfirerers...but I'm ticking "NO".
tick YES, this is the details of your L1 certification

** "Proposed storage method and location for explosives" - I was going to put that I don't intend on storing any of explosives that are allowed under the License - that I would be purchasing/using directly at launch site.
Simply write "Items to be stored in a compliant storage box at **your address**". You may want to elaborate on in the shed which is locked when unattended -or- in the garage, but it is not necessarily required.

** Statement of Reason: Required so that I can perform my L2 Attempt and future launches at QRS launch sites.
Simply write "To use High Power Rocket Motors"

** I've made sure I have ticked "Propellant powders" and "Other" (= Parachute Ejection Charge)
This is correct, propellant powders cover you for buying Black Powder. Next to other write "Rocket Motors > 62.5grams"

I did up a small letter essentially just saying I've got L1 cert and I'm going for L2...and this requires it. Pretty simple stuff. Though it is obvious to me what I require it for...thought I should include it, just so it is clear to them.
no requirement for a letter, they are very familiar with rocketry

Another question. I am assuming the licence is for L1. (Because that is what I have obtained). I assume that after L2, if I wish to do other L2 flights, that I would need to re-apply for updated Explosives Licence?
Applying for your explosives license is like a drivers license, you need to be able to demonstrate compliance/ability before being allowed to obtain it. The L1 covers that off, so once you have your L1, you have a legal obligation to apply for your explosives license if you wish to continue flying HPR motors. The licenses these days simply state HPR Rocket Motors > 62.5grams. It is up to the club and the flyer to self regulate users to their certification level once you have obtained the license.

In addition to the above, if you are unable to use a motor for whatever reason, Australian Rocketry can hold onto it for you (as they have done for many other flyers in years past). If the motor is in a shippable condition (and on the basis that you have the explosives license), this could be shipped to you. Alternatively, it would just be held until the next launch event.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby joeman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks Blake, thanks Matt. That's awesome. Makes more sense.

So I'll fill in the additional blank fields in the competency assessment later on...taken from letter.
AND,
on the first page of the application I need to tick the box "As stated on the Competency Requirement for licences to use explosives..."

I really appreciate you offering the option to be able to park the motors, if some issue arises.

Ok. Forms updated.

Back to some building.

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”