Possible Cairns launch site

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Possible Cairns launch site

Postby joeman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm

I’ve decided to try again to find a place to launch LPR and MPR rockets in Cairns.

Local Aero club is open to the idea of allowing use of their field.

We’d have a ceiling of 2000ft

I’m sure from CASA perspective it is fine....but I’ve contacted CASA anyhow.

Basically hoping it would be under QRS. Ie only AMRS/QRSmembers....ie just another QRS site.

If this all looks okay, are we okay to rely upon QRS insurance? I know the aero model plane ppl will ask about this.

I plan to catch up with guys at club day to say hello and check out suitability onsite , and find out how it might work.

Cheers
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016
L2 - March Fly (1633K940) - 18-Mar-2018 - RSO

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: Possible Cairns launch site

Postby drew » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:00 pm

joeman wrote:We’d have a ceiling of 2000ft

I’m sure from CASA perspective it is fine....but I’ve contacted CASA anyhow.

From my understanding anything 500 foot or above requires an instrument and therefore CASA involvement. That said I'm not 100% certain on that as I'm a consumer of these instruments and I've never organised one myself. It might be worth reaching out to Blake or Scoop on that one...

joeman wrote:Basically hoping it would be under QRS. Ie only AMRS/QRSmembers....ie just another QRS site.

If this all looks okay, are we okay to rely upon QRS insurance? I know the aero model plane ppl will ask about this.

Maybe a satellite club under the supervision and insurance of QRS? I'm thinking NARS, the Northern Australian Rocketry Society. :D
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”