What’s everybody up to during the lockdown?

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

Sirbrad
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Sirbrad » Sat May 02, 2020 9:17 pm

I have been keeping myself busy building a PML Striker kit. I started building over Easter and am about to start painting. This is a 4” diameter kit.

I’m also building some storage/transit boxes for my rockets. I will look forward to showing off my craftsmanship at our next launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: What’s everybody up to during the lockdown?

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun May 03, 2020 2:38 pm

Looks good Sirbrad

I’ve been working on my HPR X Wing.

Nose Cone on Flickr

Link for the build:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6017&start=15
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun May 03, 2020 6:33 pm

I have been working on my Jeep, getting it ready for rocketry activities and travel when this opens up.

Work so far:
* Roofrack
* USH CB radio
* Antenna for rocket tracking
* Bashplates
* Towbar and electric brake controller
* USB and accessory power outlet in rear
* 1500W 240V power inverter
* Driving lights (still in work)
* Second battery (still in work)

Also been doing some design reviews for my USYD Rocketry Team.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun May 03, 2020 7:08 pm

That should read UHF CB :?
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

PK

Postby PK » Mon May 04, 2020 7:44 am

One of my projects is modernising my flight electronics, everything I have is over a decade old and those electro-pixies are nearing retirement.
So far I've done the MAD Max magnetic apogee detector, which now uses a 6DOF nav chip and the Bang Stick timer, just a simple single event timer.

In progress are:
The Bar-o-matic, a two event altimeter with an OLED screen
The Arm-o-matic, a bluetooth remote arming system with a phone app and status reporting.
The Trackmaster2000, a 900MHz GPS telemetry unit.
PK

I'm awesome!

Sirbrad
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Sirbrad » Mon May 04, 2020 10:23 am

Here’s some photos of the finished box for my Wedgetail 2”. Just need to apply a finish to the outside and add some clasps.

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:27 pm

I have been trying to get this glued together:

And learning to sew:

:D

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon May 04, 2020 1:00 pm

PK wrote:One of my projects is modernising my flight electronics, everything I have is over a decade old and those electro-pixies are nearing retirement.
So far I've done the MAD Max magnetic apogee detector, which now uses a 6DOF nav chip and the Bang Stick timer, just a simple single event timer.

In progress are:
The Bar-o-matic, a two event altimeter with an OLED screen
The Arm-o-matic, a bluetooth remote arming system with a phone app and status reporting.
The Trackmaster2000, a 900MHz GPS telemetry unit.

Oooh - very nice. Are you planning to sell products again PK?

PK

Postby PK » Mon May 04, 2020 1:13 pm

SpaceManMat wrote:Oooh - very nice. Are you planning to sell products again PK?

Probably not. I'll release the board files, schematics and code at some point and I'm happy to get some bare PCB's made if someone is really keen.

Electronics is getting smaller and I need magnification to put these together which means that I just don't have the time to hand assemble these for sale. If I get one of my guys to do it then the price has to go up.

The irony is that I now own an electronics assembly line. It's just that I'd need to run a hundred boards to make it worth the setup time.

Still, if someone wants to buy 100pcs, I'll make 'em at cost.
PK

I'm awesome!

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 pm

I've been work from home since 13 March. I'm finding it good all considered and I'm very happy to still have work and be able to do it remotely. That said when I'm not working I'm finding sitting in my home office increasingly difficult to contend with outside of work hours. So as a result I've been spending more time in the shed building. Here's a high level overview of my work.

1) I've almost finished building my 2.6" Wildman Jayhawk (38mm motor mount). I need to do a bit more sanding and affix the rail guides but beyond that it's built and ready to be painted.

2) I've been practising the "Lottering" technique for carbon fibre airframe finishing. I call it that as he's been telling me about it for years now and yet I've just started doing it. Basically, you sand back the airframe, wipe a layer of epoxy onto it with a lint free cloth, then wipe most of it off. It gets rid of all the pinhole blemishes from the initial layup and when I'm done all I'll need to do is polish the result instead of attempting to paint and/or clear coat the thing. TBH that's what I'm most excited about, I HATE spray painting. I've been working on 3 airframes; 38mm, 54mm, and 75mm. I've sanded back again after the second round of epoxy application and will apply another epoxy layer later in the week when the humidity eases. Apparently 4-5 rounds is pretty standard.

3) I've been building a two stage stack to give me more experience with staging, HEI, etc. Sustainer is a cut down Wildman Mach 2 airframe and fins with bits thrown in from elsewhere. It has a 38mm mount. Booster is a 3" CF airframe able to take 75mm motors. Whenever my GLR slimline retainer finally shows up (it left the states weeks ago) I'll start throwing that rocket together. I've got a 3" nose cone built already too. I mention that as I plan on the 3" also flying on it's own, both from a shakedown the vehicle before attempting to fly a stack perspective as well as from a "I don't plan on using these components solely for staging and I'd like the option to fly the thing by itself". Fins are on and filleted the 54mm sustainer, I'll start tip to tip over the weekend. ISC will be a bit unique, more on that later.

4) The fins for the booster of the two stage are being bevelled on my (PK's old) router table. That's working really well. I mean, they're not absolutely perfect but they're very good and will be fine for my purposes. There sure as sh*t better (and MUCH faster) than attempting it by hand. I'll be doing a layer of tip to tip on the two stage so it won't really matter anyway.

5) Occasionally I come back to my Apogee Snarky that's been given the composite treatment. That's definitely sitting on the back burner though when compared to the stuff above.

I'll post some photos later. :D
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

Sirbrad
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Sirbrad » Mon May 04, 2020 9:40 pm

drew wrote:I've been work from home since 13 March. I'm finding it good all considered and I'm very happy to still have work and be able to do it remotely. That said when I'm not working I'm finding sitting in my home office increasingly difficult to contend with outside of work hours. So as a result I've been spending more time in the shed building. Here's a high level overview of my work.

1) I've almost finished building my 2.6" Wildman Jayhawk (38mm motor mount). I need to do a bit more sanding and affix the rail guides but beyond that it's built and ready to be painted.

2) I've been practising the "Lottering" technique for carbon fibre airframe finishing. I call it that as he's been telling me about it for years now and yet I've just started doing it. Basically, you sand back the airframe, wipe a layer of epoxy onto it with a lint free cloth, then wipe most of it off. It gets rid of all the pinhole blemishes from the initial layup and when I'm done all I'll need to do is polish the result instead of attempting to paint and/or clear coat the thing. TBH that's what I'm most excited about, I HATE spray painting. I've been working on 3 airframes; 38mm, 54mm, and 75mm. I've sanded back again after the second round of epoxy application and will apply another epoxy layer later in the week when the humidity eases. Apparently 4-5 rounds is pretty standard.

3) I've been building a two stage stack to give me more experience with staging, HEI, etc. Sustainer is a cut down Wildman Mach 2 airframe and fins with bits thrown in from elsewhere. It has a 38mm mount. Booster is a 3" CF airframe able to take 75mm motors. Whenever my GLR slimline retainer finally shows up (it left the states weeks ago) I'll start throwing that rocket together. I've got a 3" nose cone built already too. I mention that as I plan on the 3" also flying on it's own, both from a shakedown the vehicle before attempting to fly a stack perspective as well as from a "I don't plan on using these components solely for staging and I'd like the option to fly the thing by itself". Fins are on and filleted the 54mm sustainer, I'll start tip to tip over the weekend. ISC will be a bit unique, more on that later.

4) The fins for the booster of the two stage are being bevelled on my (PK's old) router table. That's working really well. I mean, they're not absolutely perfect but they're very good and will be fine for my purposes. There sure as sh*t better (and MUCH faster) than attempting it by hand. I'll be doing a layer of tip to tip on the two stage so it won't really matter anyway.

5) Occasionally I come back to my Apogee Snarky that's been given the composite treatment. That's definitely sitting on the back burner though when compared to the stuff above.

I'll post some photos later. :D

So, not much then.

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon May 04, 2020 11:22 pm

You got it!

And of course I forgot the 3" NC.

Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:13 am

drew wrote:You got it!

Those are some seriously badass rockets. They look angry!

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue May 05, 2020 5:14 pm

Got a bit bored on the weekend so went through a COVID test station. Just got the results back. Negative :D .
TRA #13430
L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed May 06, 2020 9:46 pm

Aquaman33 wrote:
drew wrote:You got it!

Those are some seriously badass rockets. They look angry!

+1 8)

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”