New to Melbourne - good sites, and any coming club launches?

Melbourne Metro Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

New to Melbourne - good sites, and any coming club launches?

Postby Raaahbin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi all!

Well, I do seem to be moving around the country - last time I posted on Ausrocketry, I had recently moved to Sydney, and now I've made (what is intended to be) a permanent move to Melbourne. Finally, as I unpack once again all the boxes of rockets and bits that have moved from state to state - and country to country - over the past decade, I'd like to try and get some of those birds up in the air again!

So, two questions:

1) where do folks like to fly rockets around here? I'm in Brunswick West, so things north of the city are ideal (but of course, I don't want to get too close to the airports - since I fly for a living, it would be unprofessional to disturb my colleagues on my days off).

2) is anyone planning to do some semi-organised launches any day soon, and how would I go about joining the MMRG?

Cheers,
Robin

The Wombat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby The Wombat » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:48 pm

We mostly fly at a park called 'the wetlands' in the SE of Melb, just to the north of Dandenong. Take the Stud Rd exit off the Monash Fwy and turn right.

As far as joining in, just turn up. We generally fly around midday on a Sunday every couple of weeks. Keep an eye on this forum for announcements.
TRA #11586

Well wadda y'know.... it IS rocket science!

andrew scott
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby andrew scott » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Raaahbin

The MMRG guys will look after you. We are all (relatively) harmless.

We do most of flying at the Dandenong Wetlands Park. Malway map ref 90 H2

Enter the Dandenong Basketball Center, then drive around to the right-hand side rear of the building. Look toward the BBQ/playground area. The rocket field is just the other side of those trees. :)

Planing on having the next launch on 19 / 4 / 09 or the 26 / 4 / 09.
The date still up in the air at the moment. :roll:

NAR 51647 L1

MMRG 00001 L1

TRA 10404 L1

marsboy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby marsboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi, Robin,
I see you live in Brunswick. I know that Dandenong might seem to be a long way out but I live in North Fitzroy, not far from you and with the new M3 it's only a twenty minute drive oince you're on the Eastern Freeway (the M3). Exit at the Monash Freeway and then after a K or so exit at Stud road and turn right. You can't miss it 'cause there's a big billboard announcing "DANDENONG WETLANDS"! Welcome aboard. I'm only new myself but I've met a couple of the guys and you'll find them great fun and a wealth of info.
MARSBOY

Return to “MMRG”