TRAAU Serpentine Launch April 2010

Melbourne Metro Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

TRAAU Serpentine Launch April 2010

Postby Lamp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Just a few photos from today's launch, these are only a few of the launches and I'm sorry if your rocket is not here

First off, I finally built my LOC V2...I started the build last Saturday and completed painting it similar to 1943 camo on Friday. Today I launched it on a H180W as my Level 1 Cert flight. This happened to be the first high power APCP launch at Serpentine under the new regs. A bit of rod whip but otherwise a successful flight. David Boyd thought it good enough for certification, and that is all that mattered anyway! :mrgreen:

This is Troy's Postpac rocket on what was probably an L Hybrid motor. This was a long burn and was a very impressive and successful flight. :shock:

My Dragonfly taking off on a single use F23FJ - a successful flight. :D

Glen's Arreux taking off on a K redline...another very impressive flight! We heard a sonic boom from this one. :o

Milo is a new member who successfully launched his Amraam on a D12 black powder motor. It eventually launched after a few igniter problems. :D

My Weasel on a G80T. It went out of sight and I lost the nosecone, probably when the chute deployed....but the nosecone was later found. 8)

Tom's Rocket being launched on another G80T. The bit hanging off the side is one of those cigarette lighter cameras. We are all waiting to see if it worked. :lol:

It was a great day and I was only going to attend today but it was so good I'm driving back out there tomorrow. Something's not right when you almost spend more for petrol than APCP! :twisted:
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Re: TRAAU Serpentine Launch April 2010

Postby Scoop1261 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Excellent to see a return to launching in VIC! :D

Nice bunch of flights there, and congratulations on that L1 cert!
Hopefully another good day flying awaits tomorrow!
Why Limit Yourself?

AMRS #4 - L3 |TRA #11080 - L3 |MDRA #263

Impulse: A Whole Lot ..So much I've lost count!

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks Scoop, I'm happy to finally get level 1 done. I waited most of last season for APCP to be allowed so I could do it, I could have done it on a Hybrid but that is black magic stuff to me. :wink:

Now I need to build my Competitor 3 as my level 2 rocket.

There are 2 more cert flights scheduled for tomorrow...today now, that is one reason I'm going back. Krusty is going for level 1 and there is also a level 2 attempt by someone so it should be good. I think I'll put up my Arcus on another H180W now the pressure is off... I'll probably launch one or two more MPR flights too if the wind stays down.
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Lamp wrote:My Weasel on a G80T. It went out of sight and I lost the nosecone, probably when the chute deployed....but the nosecone was later found. 8)

I have noticed with my weasel that despite using tape to ensure a good fit of the nosecone in the payload section, it is often on the verge of falling out when i retrieve the rocket. I have put it down to the pressure difference at apogee pushing it out. The G80 pushes it in excess of 3000' so i figure it is plausable.
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

EMiR
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby EMiR » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:51 am

Well done on your cert 1 lamp, the V2 looks awsome sitting on that flame.

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:55 am

ROCKet STAR wrote:
Lamp wrote:I have noticed with my weasel that despite using tape to ensure a good fit of the nosecone in the payload section, it is often on the verge of falling out when i retrieve the rocket. I have put it down to the pressure difference at apogee pushing it out. The G80 pushes it in excess of 3000' so i figure it is plausable.

The nosecone was on fairly tightly so I suspect you might be right. I think I'll drill a small vent hole in the payload section and see if this helps. My rocksim file says it will go about 3500 feet on a G80.

Thanks Ashley, I wanted to get my cert flight out of the way early and it certainly was a good flight to start the day. We had a couple of new and prospective members who had only seen Estes low power launches before. I think they were surprised by noise, flame and smoke. :lol:
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

bluecurve
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bluecurve » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:48 am

Mr Lamp was truly illuminated yesterday! Welcome to Level 1 Peter!!
He has been building a most impressive collection of stuff to fly last year and it's great to see it coming off the pad!!!

What he *didn't* mention is that he now has a complete set of 29 and 38mm casings - c'mon Peter, when are you going to fly them all???? Huh??? Can we put another one up??? You haven't tried them all yet!! :D :D :D

Seriously it was great to see so many flights yesterday, and we had quite a few visitors, several new members signed up etc - I reckon we are going to see things start to move aplenty down here.

The boys are at it again today (sadly I can't be there today), good luck with your certs Krusty and Wombat!!

I did get video from the G80 flight, I need to chop it down a bit then I'll post a link.

cheers,

Tom

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:53 am

Very nice launch photos guys. Congrats on the L1 Lamp! 8)
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

bluecurve
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bluecurve » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:00 am

Video from my G80 flight, new USB 'lighter' cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OcfPEUcY8

Comments, learnings:
- youtube quality is less than the real thing
- the light conditions were challenging, very bright, but cloud obscuring the sun, lots of big changes in light levels, sky is often saturated
- video sometimes lags behind the sound
- frame rate seems to slow during ascent, probably struggling with compression or download to SD card
- used standard micro SD, don't know if a 'HC' card would give better frame rate
- close up quality when subject is moving more slowly is excellent
- two wraps of electrical tape was fine for retaining it during this fairly 'low and slow' flight.

Overall though, for <<$30 all up, a very good value for money camera! Not brilliant, not terrible, but who can argue with the price and convenience? I will be using it whenever I can!

Oh and yes it was a pretty ordinary flight, lots of spin. I was talking to someone when I packed the chute and I had an unduly tense moment as it tangled on deploy, but did manage to inflate fully at a couple of hundred feet.

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:09 am

ROCKet STAR......

I would most definitely add that pressure relief hole to your weasel, that is always a bit of a trap for new players. A small hole around 1/8" to 5/32" in size around 4" - 6" back from the nose cone will prevent premature separation due to pressure differential. If you have a dual deploy rocket don't forget to also add a vent to the booster section as well.

Great to see launching of HPR return to Serpentine, it can only get better!

Good luck to all those flyers attempting certification flights....Post when you can!
Why Limit Yourself?

The Wombat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby The Wombat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:15 pm

I also flew a 'lighter-cam' today but havn't checked the vid on it yet. I didn't go for the L2 as I had issues with the altimeter (the baro sensor got knocked off the board!), so I flew the AMRAAM3 on a H123 as a first-flight shakedown. Recovery was perfect, not so much as a paint scratch. Looking good for the cert flight next meet.
TRA #11586

Well wadda y'know.... it IS rocket science!

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:48 pm

Well, got my level 1 today :)

Binder Design Excel. Rocksim predicted alt. 2,000' Flying on a 38mm H123

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:51 pm

A few photos from today.

This is Glen's rocket (I have forgotten the name) on a J350 which was an excellent flight! He flew this combination twice today.

Troy's Postpack rocket on an L something, not much smoke or flame but it certainly got up there!

My Arcus flying on a H128W. The first time I launched this it was on a G53FJ and the nosecone popped but the chute stayed in the body. :oops: The rocket landed flat but completely undamaged. This time the chute deployed and the recovery was by a more conventional method! :D

Jason launched his Alpha (called Warren) 4 times this weekend on C6-7s. All the launches were good! Medium power is next. :wink:

Sacha launched his Binder Excel on a H123W for his Level 1 cert flight. This is a photo under boost.

Safely recovered...Congratulations Krusty on an excellent and successful cert flight!

Last but not least, here is Matt's Amraam on a H123W. This was another great flight.

There were a couple of unsuccessful flights.....one rocket which everyone lost after boost never to be seen again, which was a real pity and one CATO which was a tragedy.
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

bluecurve
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bluecurve » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Congratulations on L1 Krusty! :D :D

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 pm

More great flights guys! :D

Good to see.......

Also congratulations on your L1 Krusty....looked like a nice flight!
Why Limit Yourself?

Return to “MMRG”