Looking for some information!

Melbourne Metro Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

David5326
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Looking for some information!

Postby David5326 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Good afternoon! I was just wondering if the wetlands area in Dandenong is still a good site to launch from? I'm new to the hobby and live about 10 minutes from that area. Is it public land?

Is MMRG still an active group?

Cheers!

The Wombat
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Looking for some information!

Postby The Wombat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:37 pm

The Wetlands is fine for small/medium stuff up to F power. (Remember to keep below 400 feet AGL.) Early afternoon is usually best as there is a lull in the wind while it changes direction. There are people who still fly there on weekends, however, all of the original mmrg guys have either dropped out, moved into pyro displays, or 'moved up' to Tripoli. AFAIK, the Wetlands are Dandenong council land, but it could be State. Either way, yes, it is public. If you are interested in learning more about rocketry, why not come along to one of the Tripoli meetings at Ashburton Uniting Church hall. For info, go to http://www.tripoli.org.au
TRA #11586

Well wadda y'know.... it IS rocket science!

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:38 am

Hi David,
Some of us have not "dropped out", but just don't get much time to go flying.

If you are looking at launching there sometime, put a note on this thread and see if anyone else wants to come along.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

The Wombat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby The Wombat » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 pm

True, but I did say "original".
P.S. Darren Young says to say Hello.
TRA #11586

Well wadda y'know.... it IS rocket science!

David5326
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby David5326 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Fantastic thanks for the help. How often do Tripoli have meetings? Would be great to get a bit more serious about this!

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Check out their website!

http://www.tripoli.org.au/launch.html

Simon
L3

David5326
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby David5326 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Sorry should have been more clear

If you are interested in learning more about rocketry, why not come along to one of the Tripoli meetings at Ashburton Uniting Church hall. For info, go to http://www.tripoli.org.au

I was wandering about these meetings rather than launches - would love to learn a bit more

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 pm

G'day David,
The meeting dates are normally posted on the TRAAU website however we are all on a members email list as well so we are all notified by email about the times and dates of meetings and launches before they occur. We have only had the one meeting so far this year (which I had to miss due to work) and I'm not sure when the next one is scheduled.

The launches are in some ways sort of an informal meeting anyway, so you should try to make it along....you would be welcomed and at a launch you will learn a lot about the practical aspects of rocketry from low power Estes type black powder kit rockets to high power rockets using re-loadable APCP motors and avionics for dual deployment recovery.

If you want more information on the meeting dates I suggest you email Tom who is our membership manager (and a great bloke). His email address is: bluecurvedesign@yahoo.com.au

Cheers,
Pete
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Return to “MMRG”