New member? Old hand!

Melbourne Metro Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

stu
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

New member? Old hand!

Postby stu » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 am

Gday, I've been doing aero modeling on & off now for 30 years or so. In the second half of last year, some of my mates and there kids became interested in my rockets and what I do & subsequently went and bought there own rockets and launchers. Now there's 5 or 6 of us flying with 2 or 3 hoping to start in the new year. We've been flying once a month at the police paddocs, Dandenong & because there's now a group of us, we've been looking into starting a club. 1, so as to get insurance, 2, so I can get hep/guidance and a suitable launch site for HPR, and 3, to fly with others. At the moment our biggest problem is the council, to the point were, we're about to give up and fly unofficaly.

Untill recently, I/we were unaware of another club in melbourne. It was only buy accident that I discovered you guys.

So whats the go with MMRG. Do you have a launch site? & when/how oftern do you fly, Do you fly HPR? (it is the next step for me. To continue with model rocketry is like runnig in circles) and are you looking for new members? hope we can make something happen, the sport needs a boost in Victoria.

PK

Re: New member? Old hand!

Postby PK » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:53 am

Get in touch with the Tripoli guys
http://www.tripoli.org.au/
Go to a launch, and see if you still think the sport needs a boost!

:-)

PK

stu
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby stu » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:48 pm

do you guys fly localy? i.e. eastern melbourne. at the moment we only fly low & med. power models and serpentine is a long way for some of the younger kids/familys. were all from SE melb. and would like to find a field out this way for low/med. models.

Brian
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:25 am

If locally means next-door!
The field where the MMRG usually launch is the Dandenong Wetlands next to the State Volleyball Centre 270 Stud Road Dandenong Vic 3175.
There only seems to be enough room at the wetlands for low, maybe medium powered rockets but I think they have alternate sites.
From observations the MMRG does not frequently launch. If you guys could join forces to form a club, I'm sure we could all enjoy frequent launches.
It's here that the sport needs a boost!
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:16 am

I would love to fly rockets more often, but time limitations keep me from doing that. Must have my priorities wrong... :(

At the moment our biggest problem is the council

Why is the council causing you problems? Curious to know.

If you are launching sometime, drop a note on this forum and I'll see if I can make it along.

Good to hear there are more rocketeers happening out there!
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

stu
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby stu » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:55 pm

next planned launch is Satuday 22 Jan., 10-10:30am lift off, at the Police paddocks reserve, brady Rd Dandenong, melways ref 81 J11. (if the weather gods agree?!?! any one got something to sacrfice :lol: )

Nothing official, just some mates launching low & med. power.
All are wecome though!!!

I'm hopeing we'll have 3-5 launch pads & a dozen or so rockets, but who knows????
Keep it up high!
Catch ya there

Brian
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:55 am

A friend and I are interested in coming with some Water Rockets.
So would we be meeting in the intersection at 81 J11?
Seeya there!
Ascender Water Rockets

stu
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby stu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey Brian, I've never seen water rockets before. Can't wait to see them in action...

To get to the field in easy. When you turn off stud rd, go past the houses and continue straight ahead towards the horse paddocks. Go through the two chicanes and then through the dog leg, were you cross the creek. About 100m after the dog leg, there's a gravel car park and ovals on your left. We park there and fly on the ovals. Its 3 large ovals surrounded with parkland. Sometimes, but not that oftern, there can be others there using the park land, I.E. golfers practicing and sometimes there's R/C aircraft, but we all work in with each other (well, we have sofar). And there's more than enough room for all!!

I'll try to get to the basketball centre this weekend and have a bit off a look. I was suprised to hear that people launched there. I thought it was to small and surrounded buy 3 roads with heavy traffic, but I suppose it depends on the AGL you fly to. Me, higher is always better.

Brian
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:42 am

I was hoping to come to this, but I'll be camping over the next weekend.
See you this weekend!
Ascender Water Rockets

stu
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby stu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Not sure if I'll launch this month?? Too wet this weeekend. (and aero club[fixed wing] got flooded, big clean up 2nd sat. & sun.) Try to look at the 4th saturday?? If anyone else is/wants to launching on 3rd or 4th weekend, post it here, as there's a couple of us.

Brian
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:40 am

I should be able to come. :D I'll ask if my friend will come.
By 4th saturday, do you mean saturday 26th?
Ascender Water Rockets

stu
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby stu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Gday Brian,
Yer, Saturday 26th sounds good. 10am ok ?? usual place(for me, as I'll have a couple of med powered to launch :wink: ). Bardy Rd. Police paddocks. Dandenong.
Should be me and 2 mates all launching, plus yourself & anyone else who's up for it ???
I'll confirm with a post a couple of days before.

KeepItUpHigh.

stu
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby stu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Gday brian and all other high flyers
Still hope to launch tomorrow. They forecast rain , but should be alright early. Hopefuly. :wink:
The sky gods are :D at rocket launches at the moment, going by the big launch this morning.
Catch ya's there

Brian
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Here's the video of the day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWUZ7soAxBs
I'd probably need emails to send pictures?
I enjoyed that launch site, even though I didn't see taps.
Ascender Water Rockets

stu
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby stu » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Gday brian,
Thanks for putting up that video. looks great! I like the shots of the water rockets from under the launch pad. I recon I might try to build a perspex cover and try to get some shots from that angle next time.

We'll proberbly launch again next month. not sure when though. I'll post it here when we get closer.

Return to “MMRG”