Intrest in a AMRS recognised Melbourne club

Melbourne Metro Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

VICTORIANS ONLY Please choose which best describes your situation.

Poll ended at Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:38 pm

I have no membership but would join a Melbourne based Club
No votes
I have AMRS membership and would join a Melbourne Club
No votes
I have AMRS affiliate membership and I'm happy
No votes
I have not AMRS membership and I'm happy
No votes

Total votes: 0

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Intrest in a AMRS recognised Melbourne club

Postby martymonsta » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:38 pm

As you may have read I've been making phone calls and knocking on doors over the last week trying to find a suitable location for regular LPR/MPR launches in the Greater Melbourne Region and have had quite a struggle. One issue that has been raised repeatedly is Public Liability and Third Party Insurance, which I have as an affiliate member of AMRS, however when asked if all the other fliers have this I can't provide an accurate answer. Another question that is asked that I can't provide an accurate answer to is how many people will attend? It could be 1-5 or 5-50 or I would like, but probably a bit optimistic 50+ ,however without this kind of information it is hard to give a land owner any kind of assurances, and i feel like i'm trying to organizing a Facebook party. I've done a lot of cold call sales work however just approaching a land owner and saying "Hi I'm Marty and I'm representing a group of individuals that fly model rockets" feels ridiculous.

So what I'm suggesting is a Melbourne based LPR/MPR rocketry club that would fly on a monthly basis and is recognized by AMRS, so that members of the club are also Ordinary Members of AMRS. This would provide public liability for club flying activities and members have access to public liability if they choose to fly a A-D motor in their local park and have an avenue to advance into MPR without having to get caught in the red tape of local governments. Based on QRS and NSWRS the cost for ordinary membership could be the same as AMRS Affiliate membership. This would allow for greater glass roots development of the hobby in the Melbourne Area. I believe that you only have to look at the success of QRS inc. and NSWRS inc. to see the just how beneficial this would be to have a unified club instead of a group of individuals.

So if you live in the Melbourne region, please answer the poll, to provide a rough idea as to the interest in a Melbourne Based Club.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

davey krocket
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: Intrest in a AMRS recognised Melbourne club

Postby davey krocket » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 am

sorry mate, tried a number of times to submit my vote but computer says no- put me down for option 1... great idea too...

cheers, darren

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:34 am

davey krocket wrote:sorry mate, tried a number of times to submit my vote but computer says no- put me down for option 1... great idea too...

cheers, darren

Thanks Darren.

I might have done something wrong when I set up the poll. So can we just post our thoughts and opinions that would be great.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:51 pm

I also couldn't get the poll to work, but...

I'm a TRA/TRAAU member, but would happily also join AMRS if that would facilitate setting up (and more importantly, insuring) a regular LPR/MPR/?HPR launch site closer to Melbourne.
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):
2017: 2826 (55% L)
2016: 2006 (78% K)
2015: 2809 (55% L)
2014: 1565 (61% K)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:35 pm

I can't get the poll to work either.

I am a TRA member and would prefer to keep things simple due to time shortages. Extra memberships would be just something else consuming my time.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:44 pm

I would join such a club, even though Melbourne isn't exactly round the bend for me (noting that I generally fly at Westmar or QRS, respectively 1000 and 1400km away, long story...)
I find myself in Melbourne often enough to make this worthwhile...
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 am

I'm happy to support rocketry in general...

Marty, it will boil down to fire restrictions - I'd love to be able to fly 12 months of the year but in most of Victoria the fire danger periods are from December to May (this year - and depending on locale), see: http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-rest ... d-details/

So even if you did get a club up and running, and sufficient support, unless you got a fire permit as well for each launch you'd be restricted to a few months of the year anyway.

I hope this post doesn't come across as me trying to discourage you - not the intention at all, just trying to give you some more info...

[edit - except for some inner metro areas, which may not be practical...]
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:00 pm

jase wrote:I'm happy to support rocketry in general...

unless you got a fire permit as well for each launch you'd be restricted to a few months of the year anyway.

I hope this post doesn't come across as me trying to discourage you - not the intention at all, just trying to give you some more info...

Thanks for your imput jase.

I've read http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can/ and I cant find any reason why we cant launch during the fire restriction period without a permit. On days of total fire ban I wouldn't want to launch and a permit would be required. There are a lot of things that you can do without a permit during the fire restrictions period including having a fire for warmth, grinding, welding all of which could present greater fire risks. I also understand that a landowner may not want launches during the fire period however cross that bridge when we get to it.

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:34 pm

martymonsta wrote:Thanks for your imput jase.

...well, we don't want you winning any Darwin awards now, do we. :lol:
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:12 pm

... or having a permanent memorial on Google Earth.

TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):

cryoscum

Postby cryoscum » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:34 pm

"Memorial"??
Is it dead?

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Only a swathe of grass that was never quite the same again - it always had a certain extra spark.
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):

cryoscum

Postby cryoscum » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:27 pm

Looks OK to me from the October 2014 Nearmap aerial photographs...
Anyway, hope to see you at Thunda. Make sure to enter the Crazy Jim drag race :wink:

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:52 pm

jase wrote:
martymonsta wrote:Thanks for your imput jase.

...well, we don't want you winning any Darwin awards now, do we. :lol:

I don't just want to avoid winning a Darwin award, I don't want a nomination either, however if my wife finds out how much I've been spending on rockets recently :shock:

Just to clarify my last post, I didn't proof read it and hit post as I was running out the lunch room door at work.

martymonsta wrote:
I've read http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can/ and I cant find any reason why we cant launch during the fire restriction period without a permit.

What i was trying to say was there is no legal reason, that i can find, that requires a fire permit to be obtained to launch model rockets during the fire danger period or bans the flying of model rockets during this period, unless it is a total fire ban day. If you compare the NSW RFS http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/4670/Lighting-A-Fire-Quick-Facts-A4.pdf to the VIC CFA http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can/ you will find that they are almost the same and QLD likewise. Both the NSWRA and the QRS both launch year round, however will scrub/reschedule a launch if a total fire ban day is declared. If someone from NSWRA or QRS could comment on if they obtain a permit or not during the Fire Danger Period that would be much appreciated. So from a legal perspective I can't see why we can't launch year round in Victoria.

From a realistic fire risk perspective I can understand why the TRAAU doesn't launch from Serpentine during the Fire Danger Period, I used to live in Echuca and spent a week over the holidays up there and it is very dry and there is a lot of fuel. I definitely wouldn't want to have a fire accidentally start in those conditions and wouldn't think of flying since the AMRS safety code states,
"9/Launch Site. I will launch my rocket outdoors, in an open area at least as large as shown in the table below and in safe weather conditions with wind speeds no greater than 30 km per hour. I will ensure that there is no dry grass close to the launch pad, and that the launch site does not present risk of grass fires."
However those conditions are not the conditions everywhere in Victoria,
This is a photo that I took at the end of my street this evening to show that every day I see paddocks that have low'ish risk of grass fire for the majority of the year (the mud has just started to dry in the last few weeks) and with a little bit of effort and appropriate fire prevention measures it may be possible to find a combination of launch sites that allows us to fly rockets year round.

cryoscum wrote:Make sure to enter the Crazy Jim drag race :wink:

I'm not sure if a want to throw my certification bird up in the madness and if I buy the almost ready to fly kit Blake has spoken of I'm afraid that it may result in my wife removing me from the gene pool :shock:

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Have ordered Skidmarks especially for it. I plan to lose, but to have fun doing so.
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):

Return to “MMRG”