Melbourne Metro Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

ozspace
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Sunday 21st

Postby ozspace » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the launches yesterday, the whole family enjoyed and look forward to the next!

I have a couple of pix, let me know where/how to post.

Cheers,

Peter
Nil Carborundum Illegitimis

andrew scott
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby andrew scott » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi, ozspace

good to meet you, the day it self was so so, but I'm glad we got sum flying in.

the next launch is plan for mid August, will set the date closer to august.

I have a couple of pix, let me know where/how to post.

http://australianrocketry.org/ is where I post my pic's. :D

NAR 51647 L1

MMRG 00001 L1

TRA 10404 L1

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi,
sorry, should have introduced myself! I flew the green rocket that lost it's nose ;)

I post my photos on Flickr here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest

A free account will allow you to upload 200 photos, a paid account (about US$25/year) is virtually unlimited.

Another thing with Flickr is that you can geo-tag your photos (position them on a map) http://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest/map/ Well, at least I think it's pretty neat ;

Krusty

Snuffy
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Snuffy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi guys,

I also enjoyed the launch. Marsboy, I hope you enjoyed our last 5 weekdays in a row of perfect rocketry weather, and look forward to the coming weekends of crappy weather!

bluecurve
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bluecurve » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi guys,

most of you should have got an email from DB, but if not, we are going ahead with the Tripoli Launch at Serpentine this Sunday. Range open 11am. Get there early to (hopefully) beat the cloud.

regards,

Tom

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 pm

I have just returned from a couple of weeks of holiday...how did the launch go...any reports? :wink: :D

On another matter, my holiday was with a bunch of people flying light planes across the country (6 planes, 17 people) and the trip was arranged through Stawell Aviation. The pilots in the group were very interested in the NOTAM restricted airspace around Serpentine and why it was there. I hope I was able to sensibly answer some of their questions about why flying over the site during a launch is NOT advisable. None of them had any idea of the size and power of modern model rockets and most assumed we only launched to a couple of hundred feet.

Graham (the chief instructor) did not really know why the restriction was there but said he had failed pilots taking tests from Stawell who had entered the restricted space - pilots actually take these things very seriously as I found out when we landed at Tindal and later at Alice Springs! :shock:

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:01 pm

Lamp wrote:I have just returned from a couple of weeks of holiday...how did the launch go...any reports? :wink: :D

On another matter, my holiday was with a bunch of people flying light planes across the country (6 planes, 17 people) and the trip was arranged through Stawell Aviation. The pilots in the group were very interested in the NOTAM restricted airspace around Serpentine and why it was there. I hope I was able to sensibly answer some of their questions about why flying over the site during a launch is NOT advisable. None of them had any idea of the size and power of modern model rockets and most assumed we only launched to a couple of hundred feet.

Graham (the chief instructor) did not really know why the restriction was there but said he had failed pilots taking tests from Stawell who had entered the restricted space - pilots actually take these things very seriously as I found out when we landed at Tindal and later at Alice Springs! :shock:

You should have told them that Serpentine is Australia's Area 51 ;)

My dad has flown from WA to Vic a couple of times with a group of glider pilots (based at Benalla) stopping at gliding clubs along the way. Makes for a great adventure and allows you to meet other pilots with similar interests. Nothing better for bonding relationships between clubs.

Krusty

memberr
Engineer
Engineer

Postby memberr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Lamp wrote:Graham (the chief instructor) did not really know why the restriction was there but said he had failed pilots taking tests from Stawell who had entered the restricted space - pilots actually take these things very seriously as I found out when we landed at Tindal and later at Alice Springs! :shock:

Sounds like the instructors up here in Brisbane could learn a thing or 2 from old mate Graham. At almost every QRS launch we have at least 1 light aircraft fly into our airspace. Many times they do this with their engines cut to simulate engine failure which makes finding them very difficult at times

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:30 pm

memberr wrote:
Lamp wrote:Graham (the chief instructor) did not really know why the restriction was there but said he had failed pilots taking tests from Stawell who had entered the restricted space - pilots actually take these things very seriously as I found out when we landed at Tindal and later at Alice Springs! :shock:

Sounds like the instructors up here in Brisbane could learn a thing or 2 from old mate Graham. At almost every QRS launch we have at least 1 light aircraft fly into our airspace. Many times they do this with their engines cut to simulate engine failure which makes finding them very difficult at times

We actually had one doing some tight circle work above us as we were setting up on the Saturday arvo, I assume to check out the place before the day to see what might be going on for the notam.

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm

I have just returned from a couple of weeks of holiday...how did the launch go...any reports?

Weather was looking dodgy which kept people away (fair'nuff too with that drive) but as luck would have it, there were some good windowed opportunities to fly. Unfortunately I experienced an issue with my recovery but the flight was nice as consolation. Tom, Thomas, Krusty (always put on a good show) and DB flew stuff. There was a new guest there who I unfortunately didn't get a chance to catch up with due to a preoccupation of searching for my rocket. Hope to see you at the next launch!

TP

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks for that Troy, sounded like it ended up OK despite the weather. I'll be at the next one. :D

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks for that Troy, sounded like it ended up OK despite the weather. I'll be at the next one.

Good to hear.

Oh, and special mention to Glenn & Gayle for LCO and other admin duties. Unfortunately Glenn wasn't flying this time.

TP

bluecurve
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bluecurve » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 am

Hi Peter,

yes it was a good launch, specially Troy's flight, which was glorious, apart from the part where it came to destruction at the end.

On a personal highlight, I got my L2 cert,

cheers,

Tom

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:17 am

On a personal highlight, I got my L2 cert,

ah, doh, I knew forgot something [slapping forehead]

Congrats again Tom on achieving the L2!

TP

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:29 am

Congratulations on the L2 Tom! :D

I kind of figured you would have achieved it at the launch after the altimeter battery problems at the previous launch delayed the attempt. :wink:

Return to “MMRG”