School rocketry

Anything educational to do with Rocketry and Space (This is for little and big kids ;))

Moderator: Moderators

george
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

School rocketry

Postby george » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Being in the position of actually being at school, I have decided to do something about the lack of rocketry. In Engineering this year we made CO2 dragsters, essentially horisontal rockets powered by compressed CO2. The teacher said that he was getting bored of things that roll, so I suggested we build rockets instead next year. He is seriously considering it, especially since we can easily be assessed on performance with alitmeters and the design part of the course can covered by CAD and Rocsim.

So long as no one dies in a horrific CATO, I think I have started rocketry at my school :D

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:08 am

thatks great george :) i launched my rip tide on a c6-5 the crowd loved it but the treachers were impressed but not to happy :lol:

skippy
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby skippy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:47 am

My son is in Year 10, and they built and flew rockets as part of the first semester science program. I donated some motors and offered some other assistance. With luck we might see a few of the students at our next launch.
"I think people unfairly criticize Wikipedia just because it's often inaccurate... Compared to newspapers, Wikipedia is the word of God." - Max Barry

"Attitude gets altitude". - Me. I said that

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:57 am

My sons have been required to do a major Science project, but it was specifically stated that model rocketry could not be used :cry:
Other "banned" projects were: model volcanoes, model solar systems, experiments causing distress to animals, fireworks, and several others.
Other schools may have a different attitude.
If you can find a supportive teacher, you may be able to generate some interest
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:01 pm

That is fantastic, George !!! Look how big rocketry is in the States at school level. It's a real bummer that in here teachers can't see how much education and fun at the same time it would be for the kids.

We need to get the word out there and educate teachers about it. We have had few good "nibbles" about the subject here in Brissie and we continue to promote it for sure.

Kryten mate, sorry to hear that your area school/teachers can't see this point. Today's safety aspect has gone to the point that it's hard to do anything much. IF they could see one small rocket in "action", it would most likely change many minds.

In October we'll have a display coming up at Edens Landings Rugby League Club and it is specially aimed at all surrounding schools. More about this in later thread.
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

RocketPants
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby RocketPants » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Good news George!

At RocketGirl's school (infnats school K-2 only) there is annual program in 3rd and 4th term called "Men in Early Childhood" which is an attempt to make up for the lack of men teaching infants/primary years. Fathers/grandfathers/uncles etc are encouraged to do a presentation to the children on the topic of their choice. So far I've done a demonstration of woodworking hand tools, and talked about how cars work. I'm already commanded by RocketGirl to talk about rockets this year, so I'll be preparing for that next term.

Other "banned" projects were: model volcanoes, model solar systems, experiments causing distress to animals, fireworks, and several others.

That's really sad (not the distress to animals one, but the others). OHS issues have sterilisesd so much of the learning process for young people. I see many young technical people coming into the workplace that have an honours degree and absolultely no aptitude for their technical discipline. There are many reasons for this, but I think that a major contributor is the way they have been insulated from hands-on learning.

I'm very glad that RocketGirl still likes to hang out with me. I try to get her to understand the safety aspects of what we're doing without trying to scare her. She is still a bit wary of tools and "noisy machines" but we've made ip a saying that "tools are something to be careful with, not frightened of".

Sorry for the thread hijack - I'm going off on the Grumpy Old Man tangent!

George - well done again! Let us know how you go.

Cheers,
RocketPants

george
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby george » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I just told my teacher about rocsim etc, I think I'm in with a good chance :D .

BTW I am also doing a rocketry project in physics, so I'll see about putting on a demonstration, if I'm allowed.

memberr
Engineer
Engineer

Postby memberr » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:13 pm

I reckon you'd have a good chance if you went for a non-pyro rocket.

Either way, good luck :)

george
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby george » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:38 pm

I haven't got any, just LP black powder. But I can tell them it's non pyro, and let them work it out at about the moment it launches :lol:

Bicky51
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Bicky51 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:56 am

the school i go to got a new teacher who launches bottle rockets he is the one that introduced me to rocketry now i teach him lol he wants me to bring & launch my estes snapshot

george
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby george » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:54 pm

How about all the kids here try to introduce rocketry to their schools :D .

Though I doubt that I'd be allowed to launch my latest build at school, it's not very optimistically named :lol: .

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:05 pm

Thats fantastic George, I have been looking at different programs that would be great to get into schools across the country, it would be an excellent way to both help promote the sport of rocketry in this country whilst at the same time be extremely beneficial to all students involved. The amazing thing with our hobby is it has topics that cover all subjects including, mathematics, science, history, geography, technology just to name a few.

If only we could get more teachers interested and involved!
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

voodoo
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby voodoo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:14 am

Just this equation could make for a week of lessons

http://my.execpc.com/~culp/rockets/Barrowman.html

...then you have aero and thrust, strength and design......the math and science lessons are endless.

NASA has some lessons if you research their site.....here's a demo of air foils
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/foil2.html Change the airfoil, change the air

http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/educati ... ngine.html

I will also give a plug here to a guy who came up with, and supports, a classroom rocket motor display. Jim Flis did a nice job on this model.

http://www.fliskits.com/products/accessories/motor.htm
JLTDT

magpie
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Rockety at Highschool

Postby magpie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi all, just jumping in on this fantastic discussion, the year 11 physics course in Victoria has an Aerospace elective, which is a great way to introduce rocketry to kids
8)

spacelaunch
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby spacelaunch » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:12 pm

The issue really has little to do with schools seeing the value of rockets etc, and more to do with them being scared sh*tless of getting sued. The last thing they want is to get sued because some student has misused or misfired a model rocket.

If you want to get rockets into schools you need to create a program where you handle all of the risk of preparing and operating the rocket. Thats how I work ASLI and schools have no objections as they get access to the educational opportunity with no risk to students or property.
Space is only 100km straight up, see you there :)

Return to “Kids Korner”