A Model Rockets Stages of Flight - in images

Anything educational to do with Rocketry and Space (This is for little and big kids ;))

Moderator: Moderators

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

A Model Rockets Stages of Flight - in images

Postby RobAust » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Guys,

A fellow Forum member “Lamp” took a series of great photos of one of our rockets over at the WWW Launch in Williams, Western Australia.

I found Austin (7) related to these really well at it was all the stages of “A Model Rockets Flight” and he could see some good detail and start to visualise these various stages (Particualrly at parachute deployment) which were previously mere terms to him.

We did add a little twist to this with the addition of a flag !

You may also find these helpful, so here goes;

1) Motor assembly

2) Setting up on the launch tower

3) Ignition and cleared the tower

4) Speeding away (Accelerating) / "Wile-E Coyote" is upside down
Image Image

5) Climbing higher

6) Motor shut down and “coasting”

7) The rocket is leaning over

(8) Just passed “Apogee”

9) Ejection charge and the parachute has deployed

10) The parachute is opening / "Wile-E Coyote" is the right way up :wink:

11) The parachute is still yet to fill / "Wile-E Coyote" victory is short lived, he is upside down again :cry:

12) The parachute is filled and the Flag has deployed

13) Yes, that is a Flag of the “Brisbane Lions” - "go Fev"

14) Nice and straight

15) Landed safely

For those who like data, here is the altituide trace showing the rockets trajectory and you'll note although the main parachute deployed just after Apogee, it took a whlie to fill and slow the rockets descent. Unfortunately my Son believes the Brisbane Lions Flag is what did it !

16) Altimeter readout

Based on the images above, my suspicion is the parachute filled immediately following deployment and under the weight of the nose cone (Image 10), although when the rocket airframe weight fell and took up the slack on its shock chord, this whipped the nose cone into the parachute chords and deflated it (Image 11) - The Brisbane Lions are good, but they aren't that good !

Many thanks Lamp, great stuff.

Regards,

Rob and Austin
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Re: A Model Rockets Stages of Flight - in images

Postby october sky » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:40 am

That is a great series of photos and well commented on. Thank's Rob/Austin and Lamp. 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:21 am

Very nice clear set of photos of the flight. :D Well done guys, the flag popping out earned a good cheer from the crowd. Is the altitude plot is in meters or feet?
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Air Command,

The altituide plot is in Feet.

Here is a graph with the three flights we did at WWW - I exported the MaWD data to MS Excel to make this up.

We traded the flag for an actual chute for the 3rd flight hence the typcial DD flight curve.

I also recognise that even if we added the three heights together we still were one of the lowest flyers there - but we had fun in the lower atmosphere :-)

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:20 pm

october sky wrote:That is a great series of photos and well commented on. Thank's Rob/Austin and Lamp. 8)

You are welcome Ari.
I sent Rob and Austin the photos I took of their rocket and Rob asked if I would mind him posting them in a sequence like this, I thought it was a great idea. I have the view that if I photograph your rocket and give you the photos, you are free to use them as you wish. If you use them commercially I'll take a cut of the fee. :wink:

Thinking about it Ari, if you want to do something similar for the schools you visit, feel free to drop me a line and I'll see what I have as a sequence...although what Rob has put together here would be as good as anything I could give you.
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Thank's Peter ! As you said this series of photos is great and most likely will adopt them for the future school visits ! 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “Kids Korner”