Kids say the darndest things ...

Anything educational to do with Rocketry and Space (This is for little and big kids ;))

Moderator: Moderators

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Kids say the darndest things ...

Postby air.command » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:49 am

Last night while reading a book about satelites to my 7 year old, he asks me ."Dad what was the first thing people launched into space?" So I explained to him about sputnik, a big silver ball with antennas ... and then he thinks about it and says "wouldn't have the nosecone gone into space first?" ... He had me stumped ... did sputnik's nosecone enter space or did it separate before reaching space?

(I know technically that the V2 reached space first on a suborbital flight. Since we were reading about satellites I didn't want to get sidetracked with orbital and suborbital nuances of spaceflight ... that's for Monday night.) :D
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

knight
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Kids say the darndest things ...

Postby knight » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:40 am

I should know this considering i did an engineering paper involving sputnik last semester, but you to have me stumped.

However, I'm fairly certain that the nosecone did stay with Sputnik all the way into orbit, i vaguely remember one of the other early satellites having a major stability issue because the nosecone didn't detatch correctly upon reaching orbit, thus the satellite was unstable and spun badly.

I may be wrong and standby to be corrected.
...Was it meant to do that?

TRA (L0): 12747

rajath bhargav
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby rajath bhargav » Sat May 14, 2011 8:47 pm

simple.
if sputnik's nosecone ever entered space in that orbital velocity, it would have made another orbiter around earth other than sputnik itself! may sound crazy, but,...... may be the unseen satellite of the earth!
Where's the apogee....?

blackshire
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby blackshire » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:44 am

rajath bhargav wrote:simple.
if sputnik's nosecone ever entered space in that orbital velocity, it would have made another orbiter around earth other than sputnik itself! may sound crazy, but,...... may be the unseen satellite of the earth!
I know this is an old thread, but it's an interesting question! In his book "Satellites and Scientific Research" (see: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... c+Research ), Dr. Desmond King-Hele, the famous orbital analyst for the RAE (Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough) in the UK, tracked all three of the objects placed in orbit by the Sputnik 1 launch on 4 October 1957. These were the satellite itself, the core stage of the R-7 ICBM that injected itself into orbit along with the satellite (this was what most viewers saw, as it was by far the largest and brightest object), and the small nose cap that protected the satellite during ascent, before it was jettisoned in orbit when the satellite separated from the core stage. Also:

Dr. King-Hele (his book "Observing Earth Satellites" [see: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... Satellites ] is also fascinating!) wrote that the nose cap was very hard to see, and that rather heroic efforts were required to observe and track it. All three objects achieved orbital velocity simultaneously, but the nose cap was the first part to separate, and it was the first (as in "the first in line") of the three objects. Air.command's son's insight serves him well!

-- Jason

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:27 am

I have mentioned these eBooks before: Rockets and People, by Boris Chertok

These are the memoirs of a Russian who started as an electrician and worked his way up to be the control system engineer for the Russian rocketry program. They are a great read:
http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/rock ... OFGYy61fSg

It is good to get the insights, particularly into the Semyorka ICBM (R7) design and testing. It is still with us today as the Soyuz.

All are enthralling, but Volume 3 (The Cold War) is a bit of a heavy read.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

blackshire
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby blackshire » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:50 pm

Thank you for the link, OverTheTop! Does the forum have provision for creating "stickies?" (A "sticky" [as in a 'Post-It Note'] is a file containing important information that 'resides' at the top of a forum list; for example, the scale section of "Ye Olde Rocket Forum" has a "sticky" that contains a list of scale data sources [see: http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 ].) Your e-book link below belongs in a space flight/rocketry history "sticky," in a list of recommended books (I'd put Peter Morton's "Fire Across the Desert" and Ivan Southall's "Woomera" in such a "sticky," too.)

-- Jason
OverTheTop wrote:I have mentioned these eBooks before: Rockets and People, by Boris Chertok

These are the memoirs of a Russian who started as an electrician and worked his way up to be the control system engineer for the Russian rocketry program. They are a great read:
http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/rock ... OFGYy61fSg

It is good to get the insights, particularly into the Semyorka ICBM (R7) design and testing. It is still with us today as the Soyuz.

All are enthralling, but Volume 3 (The Cold War) is a bit of a heavy read.
Last edited by blackshire on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:56 pm

blackshire wrote:Does the forum have provision for creating "stickies?"

Yes, you can select it at the bottom of your post.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

blackshire
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby blackshire » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:05 pm

kopius wrote:
blackshire wrote:Does the forum have provision for creating "stickies?"

Yes, you can select it at the bottom of your post.
Thank you for letting me know, kopius. Which option is it? I see several, but I'm unfamiliar with much of their terminology.

-- Jason

Return to “Kids Korner”