Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

SeunforMonash
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Greetings from SE Melbourne!

Postby SeunforMonash » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Hey guys,

Feels really good to be apart of this forum. I have lost of questions and lots to learn. I thought the best way to go about it is to describe what I'd like to get out of this hobby and so forth.

I'm a university student in Melbourne currently studying engineering. Rockets and airplanes have always been my biggest passion. Myself and a few other friends are looking to design, build and test rockets, all the way from the most basic using things such as plastic cups and bulsa wood and all the way to mid-to-high power rockets and seeing where that can take us. We have good general background about rocketry, but would love some guidance on the best place to get started and some of the intricacies (some thing we believe should work in theory might not be as simple as we think :P ). Our idea is to go through iterations from small powered rockets and make our way up.

I would truly love the help and advice from you all! Even starting a personal message to keep the information flowing back and forth would be lovely.

Thank you!

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Re: Greetings from SE Melbourne!

Postby CATO » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 am

Welcome to the forum "SeunforMonash"...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3

Impulse:
2017: 5,973 Ns (13.14% M)
Ns 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi Seun.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to helping you with questions you might have. It sounds like you have a good plan moving forward. You are relatively close to the Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society launch site at Drouin (MARS) and it would be great to see you at a launch.

Marty
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

SeunforMonash
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby SeunforMonash » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks guys!

Hey martymonsta, I looked them up and they sounds great! They had to cancel their launch this month, but I will be sure to contact them shortly. Btw the way, with so many threads and posting sections, which thread do you think is the best one for questions about building my first rockets and all the intricacies about it?

Thanks guy!

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:41 am

Welcome to the forum SFM.

As to which topic to post to, just think where your question best fits. Sometimes there is no exactly right answer but it doesn't matter that much anyway. We are a friendly and tolerant bunch.

My best guess to answer your question would be the low-power section, but if it is particularly about say parachutes it might be better in support and recovery. You will get the idea quickly anyway.

BTW, Tripoli Rocketry Association has their first launch this year scheduled for the weekend of 22APR2017. I can't attend (traveling to Singapore for work :( ) but there will be other people from the SE who can point you in the right direction, or maybe even give you a lift there.
http://www.tripoli.org.au/

Many ways to get addicted...

Forgot to mention. Check your local library for books on model and high-power rocketry. I know the Nunawading library has a few on the subject.

Also, if you haven't found it already, there is lots of info on the web. Australian Rocketry has some, and Apogee Rocketry has great videos and newsletters on their website too. Between the two most of your questions (and ones you even didn't think to ask) will be answered.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SeunforMonash
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby SeunforMonash » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks OTT!

I've heard about Tripoli and was really interested in heading down for the launch. I will definitely try to get in contact with the guys over there.

And thanks for those two websites, i'll take a look at them and see what I can gain from it.

Thank you

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Welcome to the forum and the hobby/passion/addiction that is called rocketry. :D

I'm happy to see some one who has his head screwed on the right way...so many don't want to learn the ropes and just want to get to HPR straight away....start small and enjoy each step is the way to go. :wink:

Australian Rocketry carries a huge range of kits and motors.....can't go wrong to get started.

Attending a club launch is really a must....it really shows you what's happening there and you will meet top guys who are willing to help. 8)

Most of all...have fun and enjoy the ride.

Ari
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “Self Introductions”