Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

jondubinsac
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Batteries needed for Thunda

Postby jondubinsac » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:04 am

G'day mates (practicing my Aussie talk),

My name is Jonathan DuBose, live in Sacramento, California, USA and I am coming over to Thunda Down Unda.

It suddenly dawned on me that I might have a battery problem. I will need, at a minimum, qty 1 400mah and Qty 1 900mah LIPO battery to power my Telemetrum and TeleGPS devices.

I am pretty sure I will not be able to ship them and I don't see any on the Australian Rocketry site although I do see BRB batteries. I do see Altus Metrum products on the site and know that they are used in Australia.

If someone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.

A little more about myself. First off, I am the proud grandfather of George Rubinstein from Melbourne, Australia's first Tripoli Mentoring Program flyer who will be attending Thunda with me.

I am a member of several clubs in California, a member of AEROPAC which hosts 3 launches at Black Rock each year and am also club newsletter editor.

Level 3
TRA 11505

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Batteries needed for Thunda

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Welcome Jonathan,
My experience shipping LiPos when traveling is to take them as carry-on. They are not allowed as checked baggage.

Personally if I were traveling with some of those LiPos (not particularly large) I would put them in one of those protective bags you can get for use when charging. That will isolate them from any flammable material if they do manage to go off, and the bag can usually be safely handled, probably even with a cell lighting up inside!

The main arbiter of taking them onboard is the rules from the airline. Check the requirements for all airlines you are flying on during the trip.

See you in April :)
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 am

G’Day,

What connectors do you need? We can prob just organise some batteries for you. AusRocketry carry’s varying types depending on devices being sold at the time, but if it is standard batteries for Altus Metrum, I’ll just get some in for you.

Cheers,

Blake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

jondubinsac
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby jondubinsac » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:15 am

Blake, that would be excellent if you could get some. They are the standard Altus Metrum connectors.

So make it qty 2 400mah and 2 900mah. Sound okay? Let me know how to reimburse you.

Jonathan

P.S. We discussed whether a tower would be available for one of my projects. The diameter is almost exactly the diameter of a standard 3" airframe, 3.15", 80mm. 10ft or more would be ideal.

jondubinsac
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby jondubinsac » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 am

Replying to OverTheTop,

I checked Qantas and they say "Forbidden Dangerous Goods include "Lithium ion batteries exceeding 160Wh (not including mobility aid batteries)".

According to the calculator on[url]https://www.rapidtables.com/ca[url][/url]lc/electric/mah-to-wh-calculator.html[/url]
a 900mah 3.7 volt battery is 3.33 wh so carrying quite a few of these should be no problem.

I must be remembering the paranoia surrounding LIPOs when they first appeared.

Jonathan

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 am

Sounds like you are well within the required limits. Just remember to not put them in checked baggage.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:52 am

QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:28 pm

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:17 am

QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:44 am

G'day Jonathan,
I look forward to meeting you at Thunda. George loves the rocket you gave him and it flew perfectly on its first flight.

Cheers,
Pete
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Return to “Self Introductions”