Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

sansspaceship
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

GDay from Darwin

Postby sansspaceship » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi All,

Have been lurking over the years but decided to jump back in.

So just a quick introduction, currently living in Darwin, and have been keen to get back into some rocketry, now that I have some time in life. Had some fun in my misspent youth building rockets, in a simpler time when having a chemistry set wouldn’t get you added to a watch list (probably should have :shock: ). My pocket money used to go to buying powders and lengths of seamless stainless steel pipe… before I was shipped off to school.

My interests will lie heavily on the building (composites) and electronics side so if anyone can recommend a place to start would be keen on some ideas both on a kit and something scratch-built that I can use to cut my teeth on telemetry and lead me back eventually into the bigger end of town.

Will likely have to join up at meets for launches – will be down in Southern NSW in Feb next year for a month – if there is any action.

If anyone is in Darwin and is keen to meet up, please drop me a PM.

What is the best idea for membership for someone without a local club??

Cheers,
Adrian

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: GDay from Darwin

Postby Aquaman33 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Welcome to the forum.

NSW Rocketry Association usually has launches on the last Saturday of the month at Whalan Reserve near Mount Druitt.

There is a calendar here, but it doesn't include next year's dates yet:
http://www.nswrocketry.org.au/PublicPages/Public_Calendar.html

Alternatively check out Canerra Rocketry Group if you are going to be in Southern NSW:
http://canberrarocketry.no-ip.org/

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:35 am

Welcome to the forum Adrian.

For some nice inexpensive electronics you should look at Eggtimer Rocketry: http://eggtimerrocketry.com/

For some higher-end electronics/telemetry try Altus Metrum: https://altusmetrum.org/
I use their TeleMega for telemetry. It also has four extra channels that can report voltages of other onboard systems which I find useful.

There is a useful article on bonding composites here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/p ... now.58389/

Lots of information on the forum here will provide hours of entertainment and you can probably find most of your questions answered.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:07 am

Welcome to the forum Adrian.
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3 RSO
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2019: 14,725 Ns (44% N)
Ns 18: 14,767; Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: M1.14

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:10 am

Welcome to the forum. Used to fly in Darwin, before I moved to Brisbane, never knew anyone else there into rockets. One of the issues i had was the airport is in the middle of everything so you’re a bit limited altitude wise.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

sansspaceship
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby sansspaceship » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks for your kind welcome everyone,

Sorry for the slow reply, was having a few issues but worked it out - I don't think my VPN plays nice with the forum and was having log in issues.

The forum is certainly a wealth of knowledge and I have been having a good read of the scratch build forums.

Will try to make both but think the NSW launch might be the first, as looking at Canberra history, the early months seem to get scrubbed due to fire bans. At this stage have just joined Tripoli and will reach out to the clubs when we get a little closer.

Thanks for the links on the composites and telemetry always great to see how people approach different challenges like composites. Will defiantly look at the telemega, have played with some UHF telemetry systems but don't want to complicate things at the start so will got COTS.

Will do a heap of reading until I get a few current projects off my plate, order some bits and pieces along the way and jump into build and see where I end up.

SpaceManMat did you do any launches in Darwin? I have some friends that have properties so might check out these options.

Cheers,

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:24 pm

sansspaceship wrote:SpaceManMat did you do any launches in Darwin? I have some friends that have properties so might check out these options.

I used to live in Palmerston and flew A - C motors at local ovals with a few friends and family for about 5 years. Scouted around the rural area but never found anything too big before moving to Brisbane. Turned up to QRS open day “October Skys”, was a real eye opener, been flying with them ever since.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Return to “Self Introductions”