Hi from Tasmania

Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Hi from Tasmania

Postby vance2loud » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:59 am

My name is Vance Mitchell, I’m 34 and a proud father of 2 boys (6 & 8).
I started in rocketry at the age of 10 with an estes space shuttle kit, then a few experiments with rocket gliders before getting out of the hobby until I thought that my kids were at an age to start .
I am trying to find out what would be involved in starting a rocketry club in Northern Tasmania.
I am based in Devonport and currently Launch up to “C” size rockets at a local park which is approximately 400m x 500m
I have a few areas in mind as to where to attempt to set up a club launch site and have been informed by CASA that there shouldn't be any issues with flights up to 8500 feet as apparently the local airport (6 km away) isn't classed as controlled.
My biggest concern unfortunately is the insurance aspect that needs to be clarified before I can make a proposal to the landowners.
From what I can tell so far, my best option is to set up an affiliated club through AMRS so I can get insured and then come over to the big island to do some certification flights.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note I am also currently trying to organize a building and teaching session at my son’s primary school.
I have organized enough Estes Firestreak SST kits for each student in the class (and a few for the teachers).
The teachers would prefer the lesson to be more oriented towards the history and/or mathematics side of rocketry so they can take the class rather than pass it on to the science teachers.
The class is for grade 2 students which seem to have a reasonable grasp on geography and basic mathematics.
Any help would be appreciated, (feel free to tell me I’m crazy, but I figure if I can get them interested young, why not?)
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Hi from Tasmania

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:18 am

Hi Vance. Welcome to the forum.

For information on setting up you club there should be ample experience and help from people here on the forum, although the laws differ slightly from state to state. I'm sure lots will chime in to assist you.

For info on teaching rocketry you could try Apogee Components website. Lots of info available in the form of their past newsletters etc:
www.apogeerockets.com

I'm sure there is lots of experience here from people running similar classes too. I have only done demonstration flights with my daughter at her school.

Good Luck!
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:59 am

Hi Vance, and welcome to the forum.
400x500m is a nice size patch of land for rockets up to mid-power.
On the education side, the Estes Educator modules cater for how to use rocketry in various subjects: http://www2.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin/WEDU100P.pgm
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:15 pm

It's not a bad size area only problem is it's a public park with large roads on 2 sides and a retirement home on the opposite side so I would prefer to set up a proper area for safety reasons. I have already lost a rocket to traffic so need to move to a better location before I launch any of the larger projects that I have started (Quest High-Q on E18 reloads and an Estes Leviathon on F40 reloads).
I have read most of the educator information from NASA, Estes and Apogee as well as a few other smaller websites, the hard part is trying to present it to the students in a way that will keep their attention. The Apogee educator Pack is probably the best resource I have found so far as I have found that the Estes videos are fairly good but the lesson plans are a bit like an advertisement.
Thankyou all for your quick replies.

Quick edit; I just remeasured the park on google earth and I must have scaled wrong before it's actually 200m by 250m, I thought my previous measurements seemed a bit large.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
- Thomas Alva Edison

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:30 am

Hi Vance and welcome to the forum...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3 RSO
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2019: 14,725 Ns (44% N)
Ns 18: 14,767; Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: M1.14

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:52 am

Hi Vance and welcome to the forum also !

I have no doubt you will find a lot of help from here in all things rocketry and also in setting up the club. That sounds great and all the best. 8)

Kopius no doubt can help you in many aspects about setting up the club through AMRS. :D

Ari
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 pm

g'day Vance, there's not many of us in Tassie so it's good to hear from another. i'm in a bit of a hurry so i'll send a message next time i get out to civilization.
IAAH

Zade1
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Zade1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:39 pm

I’m also in Devonport and was wondering if it was Girdlestone park you launched them at and if you still do it? And is that the place that casa said you could go up to 8500ft. I also lanch model rockets and just recently moved to Devonport. I used to launch them at Rocky Cape.

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:06 pm

No it was merecroft park near the bluff.
I don’t think the person from casa was really the right person to talk to, they were quite vague.
In hindsight I possibly wouldn’t use anything larger than an A or B there now as it is close to houses.
Girdlestone park would be even worse with proximity to the airport, Spreyton primary school or cricket ground would be better options. I haven’t had much chance to fly much lately and I now live out near Deloraine.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
- Thomas Alva Edison

Return to “Self Introductions”