Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Shahin
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Is The Australian Model Rocket Society Inc. (AMRS) still active

Postby Shahin » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:05 am

Hi guys
I am from Adelaide and absolutely new to this hobby, but ready to learn. I appreciate if anyone could help me with the required registrations and club memberships. I tried to join The Australian Model Rocket Society Inc. (AMRS), but their website looks like a ghost website without any sign of recent posts and activities.
Does anyone knows if AMRS is still working or is replaced with other bodies?
Cheers

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: Is The Australian Model Rocket Society Inc. (AMRS) still active

Postby kopius » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:15 am

Hi Shahin,

Welcome to forum, perhaps you might write a bit more about yourself as this is the self intro section of the forum

AMRS is still operational, however you can't join directly. You need to go to your local club. Being in SA, there aren't any operational clubs currently, however there is work going on in the background to get one up an running.

Many clubs are affiliated with Tripoli Rocketry which is a USA body but now has international insurance so a lot of the hobby is covered by a single policy.

AMRS is mostly a vehicle to deal with regulatory bodies in Australia on behalf of rocket users.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Shahin
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Shahin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi kopius,

Thank you for the information, but I am still confused. Do you mean if there are no active rocketry clubs in SA, people can’t enjoy this hobby? What if no clubs start in my state any time soon?
If nobody starts the hobby there would be no clubs as well; please let me know if I’m wrong. To me it looks very much like asking “egg comes first or chicken”.

By the way I am a retired GP from Adelaide and I guess you would be agree that I have waited more than enough to start the hobby that I love.

Cheers
Shahin

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: RE: Re: Is The Australian Model Rocket Society Inc. (AMRS) still active

Postby kopius » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:25 pm

Shahin wrote:Hi kopius,

Thank you for the information, but I am still confused. Do you mean if there are no active rocketry clubs in SA, people can’t enjoy this hobby? What if no clubs start in my state any time soon?
If nobody starts the hobby there would be no clubs as well; please let me know if I’m wrong. To me it looks very much like asking “egg comes first or chicken”.

By the way I am a retired GP from Adelaide and I guess you would be agree that I have waited more than enough to start the hobby that I love.

Cheers
Shahin
No the case at all, you can fly rockets right away. Having a club makes life easier as you progress into bigger rockets, but necessarily a requirement.

If you want to kick start things, I would encourage you to buy a low power starter set from ausrocketry.com.au (something like a MFR set is ideal)

Start flying and progress with the rules/rega as you go along.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Voyager
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Voyager » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:02 pm

Shahin wrote:Hi kopius,

Cheers
Shahin

Hi Shahin
Welcome to the forum. The amateur/model rocketry activities have gone a little quiet in SA in the last couple of years. However, there are a few posts on the forum from SA rocketeers wanting to connect with others in SA. The was a recent post from another Adelaide forum member here viewtopic.php?t=6671. Do a search on "South Australia" for others. I know there was a another earlier thread started by another forum member from SA. Perhaps you can PM them directly.

Good luck!
TRA 14574 L2

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:23 pm

If you become a Tripoli member, your individual activities are insured as long as you are flying in accordance with the Tripoli Safety Codes and all applicable laws for your location. I hope you’ll consider joining us, but in any case I hope you have fun safely in rocketry. Local Tripoli Prefects can advise you on local regulations.

http://www.tripoli.org/Membership

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve Shannon, P.E.
President, Tripoli Rocketry Association

Reznal
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Reznal » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:11 pm

Steve Shannon wrote:If you become a Tripoli member, your individual activities are insured as long as you are flying in accordance with the Tripoli Safety Codes and all applicable laws for your location. I hope you’ll consider joining us, but in any case I hope you have fun safely in rocketry. Local Tripoli Prefects can advise you on local regulations.

Sorry to highjack this thread, But im from SA to, and the laws and regulations are very confusing around model rockets.
Some of us believe that you need a Permit to purchase explosives, possibly a firework licence to launch any model rockets here at all, others say that you can launch up to D without any such licence.
Do you know if joining Tripoli insures us in SA, allows us to launch any rockets? And does that allow us to launch up to G engines then?

I am trying to contact Worksafe SA who deal with this here but have not heard back, might give then a call. Also applied for ptp weeks ago with no response D:

Thanks in advance

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Is The Australian Model Rocket Society Inc. (AMRS) still active

Postby Steve Shannon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:41 pm

Reznal wrote:
Steve Shannon wrote:If you become a Tripoli member, your individual activities are insured as long as you are flying in accordance with the Tripoli Safety Codes and all applicable laws for your location. I hope you’ll consider joining us, but in any case I hope you have fun safely in rocketry. Local Tripoli Prefects can advise you on local regulations.

Sorry to highjack this thread, But im from SA to, and the laws and regulations are very confusing around model rockets.
Some of us believe that you need a Permit to purchase explosives, possibly a firework licence to launch any model rockets here at all, others say that you can launch up to D without any such licence.
Do you know if joining Tripoli insures us in SA, allows us to launch any rockets? And does that allow us to launch up to G engines then?

I am trying to contact Worksafe SA who deal with this here but have not heard back, might give then a call. Also applied for ptp weeks ago with no response D:

Thanks in advance

Reznal wrote:

Thanks in advance

Although joining Tripoli results in insurance, I cannot advise you on the legalities regarding licensing. Your best bet would be to look at the list of Prefectures on the Tripoli website and contact the Prefecture nearest you.
Or, hopefully someone will see your query and reply. I know there are other threads on the forum that discuss licensing, but because I’m in the U.S.A. I’m afraid I just don’t know. I’m sorry.

http://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Docume ... 4-2021.pdf

Also, here is a thread pointing to the two newest Australian Prefectures: viewtopic.php?t=6655

Steve Shannon, P.E.
President, Tripoli Rocketry Association

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:54 pm

Reznal wrote:Sorry to highjack this thread, But im from SA to, and the laws and regulations are very confusing around model rockets.

Thanks in advance

Reznal, I outlined the core of the rules in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6466&start=15 which I see you were a part of. Unfortunately it seems some are confusing the situation with made up assumptions, but it is quite clear.

Worksafe SA are known to be very hard to deal with as they are using rules from the early 1900's and do not have a dedicated explosives department, so typically are not very responsive.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Reznal
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Reznal » Sat May 01, 2021 11:00 am

kopius wrote:
Reznal wrote:Sorry to highjack this thread, But im from SA to, and the laws and regulations are very confusing around model rockets.

Thanks in advance

Reznal, I outlined the core of the rules in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6466&start=15 which I see you were a part of. Unfortunately it seems some are confusing the situation with made up assumptions, but it is quite clear.

Worksafe SA are known to be very hard to deal with as they are using rules from the early 1900's and do not have a dedicated explosives department, so typically are not very responsive.

Yeah, what you stated were the rules were my understand of the rules also, Just gets confusing when other people sate otherwise and there is not much that specifies this :)
Do you by any chance know if joining another states club would help for getting into the bigger engines? I may just contact the clubs and see if they have any idea, however up to D is fine for now as I am still quite new to the hobby.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sat May 01, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi Reznal,
You would be more than welcome to drop into our Tripoli launch in Victoria if you are over our way. Don't forget to bring your rockets :)
http://www.tripoli.org.au
We are flying tomorrow if you are in the Serpentine area :wink:

I hope you have success navigating the vagaries of the SA rules.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Reznal
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Reznal » Sun May 02, 2021 4:09 am

OverTheTop wrote:Hi Reznal,
You would be more than welcome to drop into our Tripoli launch in Victoria if you are over our way. Don't forget to bring your rockets :)
http://www.tripoli.org.au
We are flying tomorrow if you are in the Serpentine area :wink:

I hope you have success navigating the vagaries of the SA rules.

Cheers, but won't be able to make it D:
Definitely will be looking at going to Vic at some point if I have to but see what happens.

Return to “Self Introductions”