Moderator: Moderators

RocketRookie
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Perth newbie G'day mate

Postby RocketRookie » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi all
Why does this feel like I'm writing a personal ad?? :roll:
I'm Charlie, a kiwi in northern suburbs Perth..
Built 5 Estes kits already with another three in the mail.. about 15 launches so far.
Loving learning all I can about rocketry.
Have an engineering background and mindset, ok with electronics, a small amount of programming as well as being reasonable on the tools for fabrication.
Love thinking outside the box.
Have been interested in experimenting with diy motors however from what I am gathering it seems a bit frowned on these days in Oz?
So far have only flown up to size C motors (waiting for a nice still day to launch first 2 stage (loadstar 2)).
Looking at taking things to the next level with some Ds Es Fs and Gs, hopefully certs after that if I can build a rocket that flies and lands and can find someone to watch!
Have started playing around in openrocket, looks like a pretty powerful program to both beginners and experts alike.
Tried getting in touch with WARS but nothing back so far.
Keen to get to a launch day asap but things seem like they have gone quiet of late!
Keen to hear suggestions of any kits suitable to improve skills.
And any unofficial launch site tips a bit closer to the metro area for lower altitude launches!
Enough about me.... Look forward to meeting some of you one day!

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Perth newbie G'day mate

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:45 am

Welcome to the forum RR. I am sure WARS will get back to you shortly.

Sounds like you are working your way up the impulse chain, which is what most people recommend. That way skills learned get translated to the next level and you learn along the way. Enjoy the journey whatever level you are flying at :) .
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:38 am

Good to see that you made it to the forum Charlie.
Warren

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum.

To answer a few of your points:

Yes, homemade motors are illegal in Aus.

Great that you are experimenting with OpenRocket. Its a fantastic tool and a great way to learn. There is an Open Rocket Facebook group that is full of great information, so its worth joining. https://www.facebook.com/groups/152874733257231

If you want to move up to higher impulse rockets check out:
- The Estes Pro Series - similar construction to smaller Estes rockets, so the techniques will be familiar to you.
- LOC Precision - many of their kits are like up-size Estes kits, so easy to build and lots of fun.

If you want to fly something different check out https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/

Multi stage and cluster rockets are also worth considering as you gain more knowledge. So you can still have lots of fun and make progress in the hobby without moving on from those C motors. :D

Definitely good to fly with a club if you can. Its a great way to learn and progress safely, with appropriate insurance. Hopefully you hear back from WARS soon.

Have fun and don't forget to share some photos of your rockets.

Cheers,

Derek

Return to “Self Introductions”