Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Myself: Joe Turner

Postby joeman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:00 am

Hello,
I've decided to take up some Rocketry and thought it would be good to hook up with other like minded people.

In the 90's I explored the world of Sugar/KNO3 rockets and had some successes. I played with Este Rocket Engines as well.

I've had a long break, but decided to embark on an ambitious project - to "ultimately" launch or be part of an effort to create a Rockoon. (Lauching a rocket from a High Altitude Balloon). Here the High Altitude Balloon is effectively the 'first stage' and the rocket is the 'second stage'.

[I've already successfully launched a High Altitude Balloon last year and recovered it].

I've been exploring several rocket solutions for such a project and have decided on a Nitrous/HDPE rocket.
I've started designing all the components and modelling the behaviour of the rocket under various conditions. A massive amount of analysis has been done and I'm getting reasonably confident that the engine would work reasonably well.

Some people have advised me that I should consider a smaller version of Hybrid engine initially and that I should look at getting certification throught ARA. Wise words. The whole process of designing and building a rocket is immensely complex and there is a lot that has to go into it. So I'm looking at working through some of the 'off the shelf' rocket engines initially. Also considering how I could stage the development...transistioning from a smaller Combustion chamber to a larger one as I 'prove' the technologiy. Slow and steady.

Are there any rocket clubs or rocket enthusiasts in Cairns or surrounding area?
It would be great to meet up, discuss ideas, learn, help, etc.
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016 - LCO
L2 - March Fly (1633K940) - 18-Mar-2018

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Re: Myself: Joe Turner

Postby CATO » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi Joe, and welcome to the forum. I have seen a few people on the forum from Cains so you should be in good company...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:39 pm

Welcome Joe as CATO said......there is a wealth of info here that should/could help you ! :D
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:36 pm

G'day Joe,

I'm with Ari and David above, welcome to the forum - you've definitely come to the right place.

I love the concept of rockoons and have done some cursory research into them - delighted to share an interest 8)

Looks like you are approaching it with 'eyes wide open' and I certainly commend you on that.

Take's a fair bit of courage to articulate your thoughts like this, I know, it took me ages to post something here. IMHO I reckon it would be great if you started a thread on Rockoons, share your ideas/concerns/perceived limitations etc

We could flesh them out and find solutions, sincerely! 8)
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby joeman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks guys. Very welcoming.

Great idea about new thread on Rockoons. I'll put some thought into it and create one.
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016 - LCO
L2 - March Fly (1633K940) - 18-Mar-2018

Return to “Self Introductions”