hi from bendigo

Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

hi from bendigo

Postby Lister » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:24 pm

I live in near Bendigo and am just getting into model rocketry and loving it. Am planning on going out to serpentine for the next launch day and was wondering if there's a club in or around Bendigo or other model rocket enthusiasts in the area?

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: hi from bendigo

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm jealous. You don't have very far to travel at all to a launch, do you :D

Welcome to the forum.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Welcome to the forum Lister...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Thanks, yeah I cant wait to get to a launch, couldn't believe my luck when I found out the launch site is at serp. Looking forward to meeting everyone out there and getting some of my creations in the air.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to launch at serpentine and any info i need on how to obtain L1 certification?

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:14 am

If you go to www.tripoli.org there is plenty of info for you!

Certification requirements are under the "Resources" tab (not "Certifications" :wink: ). Under the "certification" heading you will find what you need.

Basic requirements are to fly a Level 1 (H or I powered) simple rocket (no staging, odd rockets) with parachute recovery. If the rocket has flown successsfully, suffered no damage, or only cosmetic damage on landing then that is a pass.

Electronics for recovery is optional and people usually use motor ejection to keep things simple.

I don't know how much experience you have building, but enjoy the LPR and MPR along the way before jumping into high power. The experience is useful.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:27 am

Hi Lister, to launch at Serp you firstly need to be a member of Tripoli Rocketry Association and secondly, a member of our local club. You will not be able to do that by the weekend but that is not really a problem, a member can also sponsor your launches so come along and we will get your rockets in the air.

Jase lives in Bendigo and I'm sure he will help you and give you advice.

To certify Level 1 you need to be a member of the club, build a rocket that can be launched on either a H or I motor and is assessed to be safe, fly it and safely recover it in a state where it can be flown again without needing any repairs. Also your rocket cannot be a complex rocket (cluster or staged).

I'll be at Serp on the weekend and you are most welcome to drop in on me and have a chat. Also I'm possibly the one that will certify you when you attempt your L1 cert. Look for a dark blue X-trail and a guy with a beard.

Cheers,
Pete
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:12 am

Thanks that is what I needed to know... ill be sticking to my LPR I get all build techniques down pat then ill move into mpr... only have 2 rockets and still need some refining as im doing it without computer sims.. learning alot though. Yeah so I wont be launching for a month or so. Ill be attending next months launch and will hopefully have em both ready for launch. How do I go about joining said clubs or do I just do it when I the launch?

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:22 am

OverTheTop wrote:I don't know how much experience you have building, but enjoy the LPR and MPR along the way before jumping into high power. The experience is useful.

I wholeheartedly agree with you OTT, it is quite a big step going from LPR to HPR. I think building and flying MPR is fun and a very worthwhile experience on the way to flying high power. :D I can still remember flying my first F and G motors and they were just awesome! 8)
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:10 am

Thats the plan.. plus my finances dictate what I can do at the moment. I have a couple of reloadable G motors on the way.. cant wait to hook up my sjcam and get a rockers eye view of my place.. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve :)

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:56 pm

The form for joining the TRA parent body is here:
http://www.tripoli.org/Membership/JoinT ... fault.aspx

You can join the local club at a launch...

Bring your two LPR rockets along to the launch this weekend if you can make it and we will send them up....if nothing else we can have a look at how they are constructed and may be able to make suggestions for improvements.
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Welcome to the forum Lister and the awesome hobby that is called rocketry ! 8)

Lamp, OTT and Jase sure can guide you the right way and they are the nicest people you could meet ! :D

As already suggested by OTT and Lamp, enjoy the ride from LPR through MPR and then HPR.....as Lamp said getting into MPR is awesome and I also recall my first LPR flights....wow.. :P

You seem to have the right spirit as you said.....I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve ! :mrgreen:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Feel free to come along to the launch and fly LPR if you have some. You would be welcome to attend. Looks like being this Sunday.
TRA #13430
L3

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Already looks like a very experienced and friendly community, cant wait to attend a launch but unfortunately i wont be able to make it Sunday.. but that just gives me more time to work on my rockets before the next launch :)

Are there any Tutorials on getting started with building from scratch.. all I've managed so far is modifying kits but I've got some pieces on the way to build my own rocket model and any help would be very greatly appreciated.

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, Lister. We have a Kryten, so we just need a Rimmer and a Cat!
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

Return to “Self Introductions”