Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

bernash
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Hello to all

Postby bernash » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Well hello everyone hope everyone is aok & nice to be a member of rocketry

ok I'm a newbie to this and here is my cenario I'm in my midlife crisis if you asked my wife as to what i want to do & my kids think im insane too haha i want to to build a rocket and get it in space I know basically nothing in relation to even if we can do that in oz but that's what i want to do i am not prepared to wait for companies and other countries to do it and just watch it unfold as i am now retired from working and own outright i need a hobby and my goal is in 5 years maybe 10 years I want to send a something in space somewhere like the moon with a camera so i dont look at edited sensored images anyways lots of hurdles and lots to learn but this is my start and what i want to accomplish

Thx for reading my post

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Hello to all

Postby Lister » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Welcome bernash.. you couldnt have picked a better community of great people who will help you achieve most any goal you have... even highly ambitious ones like yours :) have a go with lower power stuff first and enjoy the ride. Be warned.. it is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm

Welcome to the Forum Bernash,
You will find a lot of information and help from members here.
It might help if you give your location so we can recommend a local club or other local members for you to contact.
The moon is quite an aim, Start out with joining a club and getting you L1 certificate and working up from there.
I am sure someone else will chime in with more information about what is available in Australia ( I believe the highest waiver at the moment is at Westmar QLD @ 120,000 feet AMSL)
Getting a flight to even half that altitude is a big achievement, and isn't a bad goal to work up to.
Vance Mitchell
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:11 pm

vance2loud wrote:Welcome to the Forum Bernash,
You will find a lot of information and help from members here.
It might help if you give your location so we can recommend a local club or other local members for you to contact.
The moon is quite an aim, Start out with joining a club and getting you L1 certificate and working up from there.
I am sure someone else will chime in with more information about what is available in Australia ( I believe the highest waiver at the moment is at Westmar QLD @ 120,000 feet AMSL)
Getting a flight to even half that altitude is a big achievement, and isn't a bad goal to work up to.
Vance Mitchell

Yeah thats what I meant :P

bernash
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby bernash » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:12 pm

Hello no harm in a dream :) I'm located in horsham vic the middle distance basically between melbourne and adelaide

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 pm

We all have our ultimate dream, trick is to move from low to high power and learn and have as much fun as possible along the way :)

Your in luck.. Im about 100k's from horsham towards bendigo.. our vic launch site is at serpentine. There are a great group of people that go out there.. theres also a couple of us in bendigo who who are great. If you wanna come have a look at some low power and high power rockets let me know.. ones in a tree but you can still see it :lol:
Last edited by Lister on Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:23 pm

Check out http://www.tripoli.org.au/ to see when the next launch is at Serpentine as I think that is your nearest club.
You might want to get in touch with Troy Prideaux (rocket_troy on the forum) as to membership details and requirements.
Most anything else you wish to know you will be able to find on here and if not feel free to ask.
Vance
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
- Thomas Alva Edison

bernash
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby bernash » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:34 pm

Quick question L1 certificate is there a list of what that is or that and others? Cheers

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:40 pm

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:02 am

http://www.tripoli.org/Certification
nearly identical to Listers link but from the parent organisation to the Serpentine club.
When/if you become a member of Tripoli you receive a handbook with certification procedures and safety codes.
Of interest also is the Australian Model Rocket Society, which has a similar set of guidelines but will also recognise Tripoli certification
http://rocketry.org.au/education/high-power-rocketry-certification/
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
- Thomas Alva Edison

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:01 am

Welcome to the Forum Bernash...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Welcome to the forum Bernash and to the great hobby/passion that is rocketry ! :D

Start small and build from there. Everyone needs the experience and more you launch better you get at it.

Personally I did over 30 low power launches before moving to medium power and did at least 20 of those and then came high power. After L1 and L2 I took good 2 years before attempting L3 with many HP launches during those two years to learn more.

Now, 264 successful launches later ( up to O motor) I feel that I'm only beginning to learn something......there are so many brilliant and so much smarter rocketeers than I that I can call friends here in the forum and also I have had pleasure of meeting. There are that many I couldn't list them all here. 8)

Bernash, I'm possibly close to your age and I would advice you to take your time and enjoy your journey. There are many great guys at TRA Victoria ( David, Jason and Peter just to name few) who are the nicest guys you could meet and will help you in your rocketry journey. :)

Ps. I had a bit of a brain freeze while I wrote the last part of this post.....David ( CATO) is from NSW but it shows how highly I regard him as a rocketeer. :D

Great advice from Pete and Jason always. 8)

Ari
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Hello to all

Postby Lamp » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Bernash.

Ari's advice is always good, and his post above is no exception, however everyone has a different path in rocketry. My path to L3 certification is pretty similar to what Ari did. I took my time with both LPR and MPR before moving to HPR. I spent almost 3 years as a level 2 before attempting my Level 3. I could have done it sooner but I wanted to take my time and learn more and get experience with the different construction techniques and design/theory.

Some people progress a lot more quickly than I did and some are more than happy to stay at level 2. We all have different reasons for why we fly but at the end of the day we all love to see a great launch.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the hobby and I hope to see you at our next launch at Serpentine.

Cheers,
Pete
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:59 am

bernash wrote:Well hello everyone hope everyone is aok & nice to be a member of rocketry

ok I'm a newbie to this and here is my cenario I'm in my midlife crisis if you asked my wife as to what i want to do & my kids think im insane too haha i want to to build a rocket and get it in space I know basically nothing in relation to even if we can do that in oz but that's what i want to do i am not prepared to wait for companies and other countries to do it and just watch it unfold as i am now retired from working and own outright i need a hobby and my goal is in 5 years maybe 10 years I want to send a something in space somewhere like the moon with a camera so i dont look at edited sensored images anyways lots of hurdles and lots to learn but this is my start and what i want to accomplish

Thx for reading my post

Hello bernash and welcome to the forum.

Ari and Pete are spot on, there is a learning curve that everyone goes through and obviously different people progress at different speeds. One thing is for sure, we're all happy to help.

Nothing wrong with lofty goals either, at the moment in Australia the closest we can get to space is 120,000 ft at Westmar but realistically even the most experienced guys from here and abroad have only gone to just over half that. In the USA, there is an annual 'super high altitude' event held at Black Rock Dessert called "BALLS" - some of the most experienced rocketeers (probably the most experienced amateurs from around the world) fly there and you might get one or two flights that get to 100,000 ft a year. Most of these projects are a year or two in the making.

I guess what I am trying to do is provide a bit of insight to you so you don't get disappointed - it is incredibly difficult even to the most experienced guys to get anywhere near 100,000 ft yet alone space. I am not saying impossible though!

Just curious about your background too - recently retire, from what? Also, interesting that you want to take your own images because you don't like 'censored' ones... I'm not sure that NASA et al do a great deal of 'image censoring' these days. I've got a couple of powerful telescopes at my place and what I see through the eyepiece generally tends to exactly match images I see on the net, albeit with less resolution.

If you are interested in super high resolution images of the moon the LRO mission is fantastic, here is a link: http://lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Even the Hubble Telescope can't get that much detail!

I think it is great that you are interesting in rocketry and want to learn more - if you approach the hobby with realistic expectations you wont end up disappointed :wink:
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:21 am

Hi bernash welcome to the forum.

I am relatively new to this hobby with 3 launches on a low powered beginner rocket. I just watched an American launch his rocket at supersonic speed to an altitude of 21,000 feet. The cost involved of that project was close to $4000. The higher the altitude the more costly the launch will be. Space starts roughly 100km above sea level and ISS is orbiting Earth 400km above sea level. Just keep in mind there is no cheap way to launch a high altitude rocket. NASA / Soyuz rocket launches all cost millions of dollars. Maybe money is not a problem to you but I'm just warning you this hobby can be very expensive.

The subject of rocket science is also a very difficult subject to master. When I assembled my rocket my head did hurt trying to understand the purpose of each part and learning rocket terminology at the same time. Dreams are good to have but I have learnt to focus on setting small goals first because a long term dream can be overwhelming if you focus on it too much. I have had great fun launching my low powered rockets to an altitude of 240 feet or so. It's not necessary to launch rockets insanely high to have fun. At the end of the day it is you who decides whats possible and what is not.

Please log your progress and send pictures of your finished rocket and record your launches via a GoPro if possible. Looking forward to your first launch :-)

Ryan

Return to “Self Introductions”