Engineering

Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

ianjhansen
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Engineering

Postby ianjhansen » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Guys, was "surfing" when I found your web site. Was researching people who use Sieg C6 lathes. Have spent many months finalising new gearing for this lathe. eg. the gear cutting card which is attached to the lathe at time of purchase states the lathe will cut about 22 threads. Most or many of which are of little use to us here in Oz.
Now you'll now that if say, 16 gears are supplied, that is 16!. Many hundreds of thousands of combinations. So I began working on them, and worked out many new combinations, which actually fit the lathe. The manufacturer in Shanghai was so rapt the General Manager came out in early 2014. He took away many ideas about accessories as well, some of which were put into production.
Now, with the supplied gears, I have 59 combinations. Most are very accurate. The Sieg engineers checked everything was okay with the math, and especially the percentage error. Some were unsatisfactory, so I reworked those. Then the GM sent me two additional gears - a 72 and 100 tooth. These allowed up to 73 combos.
Wouldn't you know it! After all my hard work I found 2 guys on the web who have designed computer programs to do the calculating for this specific lathe. AND one of them made me up a 27 and 32 toothed gear. Guess what?

I have now worked out 93 combinations - 60 metric and 33 imperial, all or the vast majority of which have zero or only a tiny, insignificant error. These include EVERY thread you can ever desire to cut. BA, optical like telescopes, microscopes etc, and of course the full range of those in use every day. Interested?? Lemme know asap. Ian.

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Re: Engineering

Postby cryoscum » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:33 am

Hi Ian
Interesting for sure, but it seems to me that a simple conversion to CNC would have removed the need for thread cutting gears and give you the ability to cut any thread, even custom ones, as well as provide you with the ability to do a million more things, not just thread. The conversion cost was also pretty low. Any thoughts on that?
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:32 pm

That's exactly what I plan to do, but not a full conversion as I still enjoy turning handles.
I'll be throwing the change gears in the scrap bin, then mount a stepper/servo direct to the feedscrew and an optical encoder on the spindle.
The feedscrew on my brand new lathe was damaged(at the factory) and it took Carbatec 8 months (and lots of complaining from me) to send a replacement, now that I've finally received it I can use my lathe!
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

ianjhansen
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby ianjhansen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanx guys,

a few reasons for not going cnc - couldn't be bothered, too old for learning script etc, cost, don't do enough on it

to justify, etc. Fair enough?

Return to “Self Introductions”