Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Howdy from Ipswich!

Postby Digit » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Hello All,

I'm Lachlan from Ipswich in QLD and I'm new to the hobby* (see below :oops: ). I have been obsessed with rockets since I saw the Apollo 13 film as a ten year old, then four years later after October Sky came out I checked google to see if building your own rocket was legal in Australia, I was surprised to see that model rockets were a thing!

I headed straight into Brisbane and purchased a kit, being a younger teenager at the time with no patience, modelling or painting experience I slapped the thing together quickly; poorly; and then must have put nearly a kilo of spray paint on it (with the nose cone in!).

I went and launched the rocket on my parents 2 acre property and it went up so high it was great, then it turned around and came back down as quick as it went up, hit the ground and was destroyed, try as the little motor might have there was no popping that nose cone out. Being disheartened by this I threw the whole lot in the bin and put the other motors in a sink of water as suggested.

Now here is the sad part... It's taken me just over 15 years to succumb to temptation and go out and buy a kit! I've picked myself up an SCR 'my first rocket' launch kit to get back into things.

Being a lot more mature now (read 4 Trades, a Wife and 2 children later) and actually being able to do nice work with my hands I've decided to get back into the hobby, but I want to learn properly and be part of a great community so I checked online for clubs in my area and have since found and applied to join QRS. I have aspirations to work my way through the clubs certification programs, involve my two boys once they're old enough and eventually progress to attempting building and certifying in high powered rocketry.
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Howdy from Ipswich!

Postby Lister » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Welcome Lachlan and welcome to the hobby. Im sure you will have a great time with QRS, good bunch of people.. you will see rocketry is more than a hobby.. its an addiction 8)

Im sure you will find these forums and the people on them a very big source of information.. and if you are unsure on something its always good to ask here.. someone will help.

Can I ask if you remember what motor you used.. and more specifically what delay time was on the motor you used in your lawn dart rocket (if its an estes/scr motor it will be the last number on the code.. like a D12-5, the 5 being how many seconds delay). Sometimes people put in a motor with too long of or no delay.

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby High Impulse » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Lachlan, welcome to the forum and back into rocketry.

Glad to see another Ipswichian joining rocketry :)

Adam
L1: Callisto - H410VM

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks Adam, and sorry Lister it was so long ago I don't recall motor type, I do remember it was an Estes alpha rocket though, I recognised the packet at shop today when I bought the SCR.

QRS Committee Member

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:08 am

Hi Lachlan (and sons), welcome to the forum.
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi Lachlan, welcome to your new obsession! :D
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Welcome to the forum Lachlan.

Enjoy the journey of rocketry, there are so many aspects of to the hobby and always something new to learn.

Marty
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Hey Lachlan and welcome back to the great hobby that is called rocketry !

This forum is such a wealth of info and just keep asking if you have any doubts about anything....there is no such thing as a dumb question !

Hope to see you at our Open Day Rocket Launch in March. Hope you guys can make it.

Cheers,

Ari
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:14 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome. And I'll be there Ari! Nice and early too as I've volunteered to help set up. Looking forward to meeting some of the members and seeing their rockets.

QRS Committee Member

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Welcome Lachlan! You'll be well looked after at QRS! Great guys, doing great things! I'm convinced you would not find a better (i.e. active, vibrant, forward thinking) club than them! It is also linked to the AMRS site at Westmar, a place you should ask about...

See you out there :)

Nic
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

Return to “Self Introductions”