Moderator: Moderators

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: New girl on the block needs help

Postby kopius » Sun May 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi Sari,

Welcome to the forum!

Australian Rocketry is the only place you need to look, with the biggest range of products ready to go off the shelf and the ability to customise basically anything. The best part is you will be buying in Australia and supporting the organisation that continues to support the hobby in Australia and provides this forum for free.

Cheers,

Blake
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Rocket Girl 66
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rocket Girl 66 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:07 pm

What about this guys

Estes Pro Series Argent 9703 or Partizon9702

Thanks
Sari

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sun May 08, 2016 11:55 pm

They are a nice intro to larger rockets. Both of those have been used by people to get their L1 certification. They are also large enough that you wouldn't want to launch them at a local park or possibly anywhere but at a club launch.
Personally I would start with something smaller. You can have a lot of fun with some of the smaller rockets that fly on 'C' size motors and they are still capable of flying to altitudes that make them difficult to see.
However those models will teach you a lot of techniques that you will use in other rockets without being fiddly to work on. I'm sorry if I missed it, but what state do you live in? It might help us to point you towards a club and/or resources which can help.
Have you seen either of those rockets for sale somewhere? If so did they have any of the other Estes pro kits there?
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

Rocket Girl 66
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rocket Girl 66 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Yes I did actually.
They are on Ebay.com.au, under the name ronin175, they have other pro kits as well and heaps of other stuff, don't know what there all like, don't know enough yet, but there are lots of different kits there.

If you see something there that you think would suit me better, please let me know.

Thanks Sari

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Mon May 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Sari I sent you a private message about the Victorian launch site.. messages are at the top left of the ausrocketry page.

As for the pro series 2 kits I have built a couple and they are quite simple and easy, but they are also quite large compared with LPR kits and as Vance said you will likely have to launch them at the Tripolli Vic site. If you get something smaller, like the LPR kits on the ausrocketry website or at your local hobby shop they will likely have a good selection of low power kits and motors. If you're in melbourne there is a good hobby shop in box hill.

One of the guys (Krusty on these forums) sells low power kits that he designs and has some very quirky designs, including a ballistic chicken rocket that has a chicken head as the nose cone :lol: he is also located in melbourne and will be at our next launch (which is scheduled for may 21st and 22nd) he has a section on these forums called "I Build Rockets". If you like I can have a chat to him and see if he has any of the ballistic chickens and/or some other low power kits that would be good for you.

If I was you I would order the Argent kit off ebay, if you get that built in time for the may launch bring it along and we can help you get it in the air. And get a couple of low power kits from Krusty and build and fly those between now and the next launch. The low power kits you can launch in a park or similar open space. As for launch controllers and launch pads you can buy those on ebay. If you look up estes launch pad you will see one for low power and I think they also have one for slightly bigger rockets. But if you launch at the tripolli victoria site we have launch pads for everything. You can also find launch controllers on ebay, or your local hobby shop. And if you desire you can make your own fairly easily and quite cheap.

hope this helps

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Tue May 10, 2016 8:45 pm

You need to also be aware of other restrictions with the launching of larger model rockets vs small model rockets
Eg If you're launching in controlled airspace, you can't go higher than 400 feet
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue May 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Kryten wrote:You need to also be aware of other restrictions with the launching of larger model rockets vs small model rockets
Eg If you're launching in controlled airspace, you can't go higher than 400 feet

Good point Kryten, you can see the specific information here: http://ausrocketry.com.au/home-getting-started
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Rocket Girl 66
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rocket Girl 66 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks for that info.

A Club will have that covered for heights over 400ft.
Or private land not in controlled air space.

Sari

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Thu May 19, 2016 11:47 am

Rocket Girl 66 wrote:A Club will have that covered for heights over 400ft.

Is that a question or a statement? Not all clubs have instruments in place, so it cannot be assumed that showing up to a club will allow you to fly above 400' if they are in controlled airspace.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Thu May 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Rocket Girl 66 wrote:Thanks for that info.

A Club will have that covered for heights over 400ft.
Or private land not in controlled air space.

Sari

If you want to attend a launch we have one in Serpentine (20mins out of bendigo) this weekend. Our ceiling is 15,000ft and if requested in advance can goto 25,000 ft.. I may be wrong on those altitudes but its definitely above 400ft.

I sent you a private message a couple of weeks back with the details on our launch site and club.

Rocket Girl 66
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rocket Girl 66 » Sun May 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi Guys,

After doing a bit of research around on the net I decided to go with an Estes Pro Series Mammoth, but when I went to buy it of ebay it was gone, what would you expect.

I'm now back to thinking about the Partizon or the Arget.
Or maybe one of the other Pro series easy builds.

Thanks
Sari

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sun May 22, 2016 1:43 pm

A partizon was flown yesterday at Serpentine for a L1 flight, and I believe that the Argent has also been used successfully a few times.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Mon May 23, 2016 12:02 am

Hi Sari,
Welcome to rockery and the forum. :D

My advice would be to start with low power rockets, learn how to build and fly them and with that experience you can work your way up from there. The LPR kits are cheap, the motors are cheap, the launch gear is cheap and they are relatively safe if you follow the safety guidelines.

To launch larger more powerful rockets you really need to join a club and in Victoria that is really with us (Rocketry Victoria also known as TRA Australia). It is a pity you did not come to the launch we had on Saturday, everything from C motors up to an M motor was flown. At a club launch you will be able to talk to people and get tips about how to construct and fly rockets.

Our next launch is scheduled for 18 or 19th of June (weather permitting) and if you decide to come you should be able to see a range of rockets of different sizes flown on a range of different sized motors, we are a friendly bunch and you would be welcome.
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Sari - late message!

I have flown those Estes Pro 2 kits you mentioned and they aren't ideal for a first rocket.

I first bought the black and gold model rocket package which includes launch pad, launch controller, 56er rocket, rocket wadding and rocket parachute. It costs $99 on this website and is a great way to start off. I would also fly something like an Estes Alpha because these rockets are small and easy to retrieve. For motors I would start off with B6-5 SCR single use motors.. I would also add A8-3 motors with your order so you can safely experiment with a low power rocket to see if your parachute or streamer holds up. Don't launch the rocket with C motors unless you're in a large park 100m+ from trees.

http://ausrocketry.com.au/black-and-gold-model-rocket-set.html

Rocket Girl 66
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rocket Girl 66 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Lu,

Thanks for that.
I will have a look.

Regards
Sari

Return to “Self Introductions”