Hello from the uSA

Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

MaxQUSA
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Hello from the uSA

Postby MaxQUSA » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Was posting on my home forum (The Rocketry Forum) and had some nice comments from you folks "down under", so I thought I'd register and give a big hello from "up over" - Virginia USA.

A bit about me....
Started getting into model rocketry back in the early sixties, got back in while at university when Estes released the mighty "D" motor and the Maxi Brute Line.
Got into high power around 1992 attending a launch at Culpeper VA after seeing the cover of High Power Rocketry.

Level 2 with a Binder Raptor on a J350W, did a little Ex /research w/Loki hardware.
Enjoy upscale scale projects.

Enjoy reading about what you folks are doing down your way.
Attachments
Little Joe II at VAST.jpg
Little Joe II at VAST.jpg (18.24 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
_LLS9954.jpg
_LLS9954.jpg (160.65 KiB) Viewed 2227 times

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Hello from the uSA

Postby Viking » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi Max, welcome to the forum.

Nice LJ!
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:42 pm

G'Day Max-Q-USA...

Welcome to the forum :D ...

PS: This might come in handy http://thunda2.com.au/aussie-slang/
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi MaxQ, welcome to the forum!

I hope you'll notice that the forum is relatively small but full of good quality content with a minimum of useless "noise" - something that (for me at least) is a bit of a bug-bear on TRF. It seems others agree from what I hear... Anyway, you're part of a growing number of Internationals from the USA, Canada, Netherlands, Germany, New Zealand, France, Spain, even a few African and South American countries, hanging out here and you are most welcome :)

If you are from central or northern Virginia there is a chance you may know some of our buddies in that area, i.e. Jerry O'Sullivan, Mitch Guess, Bill Schworer and, of course, Neil McGilvray and Bob Utley from across the border in MD. Let's not forget to mention the Titan of Terror, Crazy Jim, a regular visitor to this forum and our shores :). CJ may not be from your part of the world, but he seems to be everywhere at once (except where he actually lives, Savannah GA), so it's likely you know him too.

Looking forward to hearing all about your rocketry adventures and misadventures!
Also hope to meet you at the MDRA launch in April 2017 (happens to be LDRS too).

Cheers
Nic
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Welcome to the forum MaxQ FREEDOM!!!! I was born and raised right around the corner from you in Greensboro, NC. Where in VA are you from?

That's one heck of a nice looking Little Joe II btw. Did you fly it on a cluster?

Happy belated 4th mate. Welcome to the forum.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Welcoming me to the forums MQU

What motors are you using in the little joe 2?
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

cryoscum

Postby cryoscum » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:51 pm

SpaceManMat wrote:Welcoming me to the forums MQU

Clearly a fat-finger-Tuesday, eh Mat?
Guess you meant "Welcome from me,MaxQUSA!"

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:55 pm

cryoscum wrote:
SpaceManMat wrote:Welcoming me to the forums MQU

Clearly a fat-finger-Tuesday, eh Mat?
Guess you meant "Welcome from me,MaxQUSA!"

Clearly my brain has had the day off, meanwhile the rest of me is stuck dealing with the in laws...
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

cryoscum

Postby cryoscum » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:12 pm

SpaceManMat wrote:meanwhile the rest of me is stuck dealing with the in laws...

Good luck, buddy!

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Welcome to the forum mate, I'm glad some of my fellow rocketeers have already made it look like a mad house :roll:
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Welcome to the forum MaxQUSA.

I just had to go and find my photo of the Little Joe II at the Johnson Space Centre, and I must say that is one really nice model that you have there. Did you test the Apollo LES?
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

MaxQUSA
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby MaxQUSA » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:32 am

cryoscum wrote: ...snip.....
If you are from central or northern Virginia there is a chance you may know some of our buddies in that area, i.e. Jerry O'Sullivan, Mitch Guess, Bill Schworer and, of course, Neil McGilvray and Bob Utley from across the border in MD. Let's not forget to mention the Titan of Terror, Crazy Jim, a regular visitor to this forum and our shores :). CJ may not be from your part of the world, but he seems to be everywhere at once (except where he actually lives, Savannah GA), so it's likely you know him too.

Oh yes, I know those blokes.
Wild and crazy bunch at MDRA.
Jerry is a fellow Virginian, I met him back when he launched that big two stage Terrier Sandhawk (M to an M) with Bill Schworer's real time video down link, displaying the whole flight POV from the nose cone as it happened.
Mitch occasionally makes the trek to my home field at Battlepark in Culpeper VA.
Neil and Bob actually took the pictures of the Little Joe II project in flight.
MDRA is a great place to meet folks, met Curt Newport who did ocean recovery of Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7, and helped him pull one of his larger projects out os a tree. Met the late Erik Gates (Mythbusters show rocket advisor) and Steve Eves for that huge Saturn V launch Steve built.

Crazy Jim I've not had the pleasure meeting yet as I haven't made the trip further south to NCarolina/SCarolina, but he is well known on TRF and the various rocket shows like LDRS.
Anyway, those guys and some of you folks are way beyond my little efforts, but a great bunch.

Looking forward to hearing all about your rocketry adventures and misadventures!
Also hope to meet you at the MDRA launch in April 2017 (happens to be LDRS too).CheersNic

I have some adventures and a few misadventures to share, that's for sure.
I used to attend the MDRA folks Red Glare event and drag race a guy with our Binder Raptors.
That misfortune will be good for two stories - as well as a third - when the host hotel we were staying caught fire at 2:30 AM (not due to us rocket guys, but a wedding party of drunks that dropped a lit cig down the laundry chute) ...picture smoke pouring out of our rooms on our floor - with me carting some of the larger rockets and motors out of the room at 2:230 AM whilst the fire crew was showing up...that looked good.
Last edited by MaxQUSA on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxQUSA
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby MaxQUSA » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:40 am

Digit wrote:Welcome to the forum mate, I'm glad some of my fellow rocketeers have already made it look like a mad house :roll:

Heheh....we're all just a tad MAD.....aen't we? :lol:

MaxQUSA
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby MaxQUSA » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:46 am

martymonsta wrote:Welcome to the forum MaxQUSA.

I just had to go and find my photo of the Little Joe II at the Johnson Space Centre, and I must say that is one really nice model that you have there. Did you test the Apollo LES?

Thank you and yes, I did have an idle thought at one point to put some small motors in that LES for some laughs, but the tight space and angle of each was a bit daunting.
While I was doing the build thread for this project, two fellows that post on TRF, Gus and Sandman, were inspirational during the build. I believe they were both successful with their Apollo pad abort capsules that launch off he ground solely with motors in the LES.

MaxQUSA
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby MaxQUSA » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:20 am

drew wrote: Welcome to the forum MaxQ FREEDOM!!!! I was born and raised right around the corner from you in Greensboro, NC. Where in VA are you from?
That's one heck of a nice looking Little Joe II btw. Did you fly it on a cluster?
Happy belated 4th mate. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, while I was posting in the late evening I was hearing the revelers outside.
People still like to burn their money up with fireworks on the 4th. That tradition won't die even if municipalities like Richmond, where I live on the banks of the James river, try to put the curb on fireworks sales.
People just love fire and smoke on the 4th. And noise as well.

On that Little Joe II, I have lusted after a good sized Little Joe after seeing a picture of one in Time Magazine at NARAM 9, 1967.
NARAM 9 milestones-in-mankato-jan-1968-aam-8.jpg
NARAM 9 milestones-in-mankato-jan-1968-aam-8.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

So I designed this one to be lightweight...roughly 1/18th scale, 8.5 inch diameter and it's all poster board, foamcore, balsa wood, with some birch ply on the fin roots and fiberglassing in places.
Came in around 3.5 lb. dry.
Has about six outboards in 24mm, with a central 38mm.
It flew on the first flight on a G-80, the air starts did not start (the GWiz did not get enough "G" s upon ignition and first movement to light them). It flew beautifully but was quite low overhead...chutes popped fine.
What happened next upon touch down was one of those misfortunes I hinted at..the GWiz detected the jolt on touchdown and decided to fire all the outboards. So it took off again, trailing the chute (like Evel Knieval on his Snake Canyon jump).

Flights since then have been with a central H 97J or a H128W s to ensure triggering the G Switch.....with lots of D's in the outboards.
Low and Slow but fun.

Return to “Self Introductions”