Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

baq
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Hello from SE Melbourne

Postby baq » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:54 am

Hi Guys,

Like most other "hello" posts, I've always wanted to get into rocketry, but for what reason - didn't.

Now I find myself a father with a 6yo and a Joey Scout leader, and thinking how cool it would be to introduce the young 'uns to rocketry. :)

I had a read of the CASA regs, and bought myself a kit

I've bought a kit to get my started - http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/lau ... lver-arrow and now I'm swatting up on local laws (City of Casey).

It seems I'm SOL launching from any reserves, but there are a few retarding basins nearby that might be ok.

Anyhoo, I'd be great to meeting anyone local (Narre Warren) into this hobby or finding out about any local clubs. All I've found in Victoria today is Tripoli, and they look ilke they're out the other side of Bendigo.

Nice to meet you all!

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Re: Hello from SE Melbourne

Postby CATO » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Hello "BAQ", welcome to the forum...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:20 pm

It could be worth the trip to try to make it to the next Tripoli launch up near Bendigo.
I have a feeling that there are a few members from around your area who might be able to point you towards a few suitable sites closer to home.
Best of luck and welcome to the hobby and forum
Vance
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi Baq. A big welcome to both the hobby and the forum from a fellow Victorian.

Marty
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Happy Heyoka » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi baq, welcome!

When I was young I spent a lot of paper round money flying little rockets off a bit of piano wire from the local sports ovals... not sure how legal that is now days?
You're not going too many CASA-level issues provided you stick to C motors or below and keep clear of airport & approaches etc. I suspect that your main obstacles will be with the local landholders etc - so cultivating friends with a few acres is also an idea :D
Maybe an idea would be to get a group activity organised with the scouts and approach parks/schools on that basis?
Kopius on here may have some clues about that (see "Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge" at the bottom of the page).

I second Vance, if you find the time to come along to a Tripoli launch at Serpentine you will see a lot of launches of little rockets as well as the big ones. I'm also pretty sure there are a few members from the Southern side of Melbourne. Even if you don't fly you will get a good handle on how a launch is organised and the safety protocols etc.
(I would add that I'm pretty sure guests need permission to attend - clear that w/Troy I believe)

Be warned going to Serpentine will be a lot like going to a car yard "just for a look"...
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi baq,
Welcome to the forum.

As the others have said, you are most welcome to attend a Tripoli launch. There are quite a few people in the South East. If you want to come along just drop Lamp, Jase, vance2loud, Lister or myself (or many of the others) a line and we will organise for you to attend. You could even bring a rocket along to fly.

As for launching locally, we have been known to fly out of the oval near the State Volleyball Centre, just off the Monash freeway. Police Paddocks have also been found to be a good site for some of our local stuff.

Have fun :)
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Welcome to the awesome hobby that is rocketry and also to this forum where you find all the info you will ever need. There are so many talented rocketeers here to help on your journey. :D

Most of all, take your time to learn the ropes and have fun. 8)

Ari
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

baq
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby baq » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys, and thanks for the invite to a Tripoli launch. Once I have learned enough to be able to ask some reasonable questions, I'll be sure to be along.

For the oval near the volleyball centre and the Police paddocks, is there any permission needed from any particular group, or are those locations just generally ok to launch from?

I look forward to participating in the forums as I build my knowledge. :)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Once I have learned enough to be able to ask some reasonable questions, I'll be sure to be along.

Come along anyway. You will enjoy the day.

As for volleyball centre etc, we used to just go there. They are public parks. I can't remember the official altitude but IIRC it was somewhere under 2000'.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:24 pm

OverTheTop wrote:As for volleyball centre etc, we used to just go there. They are public parks. I can't remember the official altitude but IIRC it was somewhere under 2000'.

I've never approached City of Greater Dandenong, however they have a local law that requires a permit to fly a model aircraft at a public reserve. I would be giving them a call to check what is required, I would hate to see anyone get a fine off local laws. As a matter of interest City of Casey, City of Greater Dandenong, and Knox all have laws requiring permits for model aircraft, the City of Casey's permit restricts you to 65m (200'), if the permit is approved, if it isn't you lose $100. I believe Cardinia Shire may not, however, I have never contacted them to be sure.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 am

G'day Baq, welcome to the forum! :D

As others have mentioned, the local club launch site in Victoria is near Serpentine. The main reason it is so far away is the launch site has regulatory approval and an altitude ceiling currently at 25,000'. Most of us fly high power rockets but there are also a lot of low and medium powered flights at a typical launch. We launch there when the fire danger is low which means over the wetter months. Our next launch is scheduled for the weekend of the 13th/14th of August but is dependant on the weather forecast. You a and your son would be welcome to come along and I'm sure you would learn a lot, just let us know in advance. :wink:

As for flying low power locally, the best person to talk to would be Krusty. Shoot him a PM and he will help you. 8)
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Return to “Self Introductions”