Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

aardman
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Hi Everyone

Postby aardman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi All,

My name is Bryan, and I've been lurking for a while but it's time to say hello! I'm a Mechatronics Engineering Student at UQ and I've be playing with the idea of building a rocket with a team of people to compete in the IREC competition in America (http://www.soundingrocket.org/what-is-irec.html). As a team, it would be great to hear your ideas and recommendations on how to best develop a rocket for this purpose.

My personal interest in the project will be the development of data recording hardware/software, moving on to (hopefully) some advanced control in the form of active stabilisation. If you've got some good resources or experiences with this sort of stuff, I'd love to hear from you.

I will be coming along to more of the QRS meets soon to start learning more, so I hope to see some of you there!

Cheers
Bryan!

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby High Impulse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Hey Bryan, nice to see another UQ student getting into rocketry ( I myself am 4th year mech aero).

I'm sure some of the members on the forum will be able to give you some sound advice regarding the IREC competition.
I think some guys have played around with Active stabilisation too, so they might be able to chime in with that kind of stuff.

Regards,

Adam
L1: Callisto - H410VM

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Welcome.

There's a couple of guys here that have looked into active stabilisation.

Not sure what your team looks like or their experience in rockets, areodynanics or materials/structural etc... some basic questions come to mind:
1. How big
2. How heavy
3. How high
4. What type of motor
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Generally active stabilisation would be either be canard control or motor gimbaling. Either way the actuating device is going to be critical.

With canard control you would probably want to figure out your speed regime and then look at speed vs AoA so that you have some idea of what the force is your servo is going to have to deal with. Servo speed may also be critical depending on your fin placement. Anti aircraft missile for instance will have mid or forward fins and these types of rockets are not statically stable, the electronics must constantly correct the direction of the rocket. They are however highly manoverable.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

aardman
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: RE: Re: Hi Everyone

Postby aardman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:19 pm

SpaceManMat wrote:Welcome.

There's a couple of guys here that have looked into active stabilisation.

Not sure what your team looks like or their experience in rockets, areodynanics or materials/structural etc... some basic questions come to mind:
1. How big
2. How heavy
3. How high
4. What type of motor
The team is comprised of engineering students, and we all have experience with practical design build project, but limited experience specifically with rockets (but a lot of enthusiasm!).

The rocket needs to carry a ~4kg payload, to an altitude of 30,000 ft. The motor is limited to an O class.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi Aardman. Welcome to the forum. UQ are doing some great work, especially in hypersonics. Good luck with your studies.

Search for VTS or vertical trajectory system and see what you find around here :wink:

If you want some inside info on rocketry avionics check out the http://www.altusmetrum.org website. It is open-source.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Howdy Bryan, welcome to the forum mate and u look forward to saying hi at a QRS event. The IREC competition sounds awesome! Will be good to see what ideas you come up with.

Cheers,
Lachlan
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Welcome to the forum and hobby/passion that is rocketry. There are many smart guys around here who most likely can guide you to the right direction. Hoping to catch up in one of the QRS launches soon. 8)

Ari
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

aardman
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby aardman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks So much for your warm welcome! Looking forward to meeting you all in person, I should be at the next QRS launch.
@Over the top, that thread looks awesome! thanks for putting me on to that, I'll be sure to pick your brains about it sometime.
@SpaceManMat, I would love to look in to gimbaling the motor, Im sure that its going to be a difficult prospect, but really interesting.
@High Impulse, great to know there are some UQ students around! Have to catch up some time, perhaps you'd be interested in joining in?

Thanks all for your welcome again! Seems like a great community to be part of.

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby High Impulse » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Hey Bryan, i sent you through PM with my details would be interested in catching up at uni some time.

Adam
L1: Callisto - H410VM

snrkl
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby snrkl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 pm

Hey Bryan, look forward to meeting you at a QRS launch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Self Introductions”